Chris Palmer

Chris's Frostgrave & Ghost Archipelago Terrain Efforts

I thought I would start my own Frostgrave terrain thread, since I started on my second ruin this week, and don't see my self stopping anytime soon. ::P: And, I didn't want to keep posting links in David's excellent Frostgrave terrain thread found here,
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65272-frostgrave-terrain/ , and detract from his efforts.

For those that missed it, I already posted my first ruin here in the Frostgrave thread in the Fantasy sub-forum:
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/63635-frostgrave/?p=1252554

This week, I thought I'd take things to another level :rolleyes: and try my hand at a two-story ruin...
Two improvements I wanted to try this week were to add more debris on to the base; and to mount the building on a squared base to help it feel more like an urban building.

The main structure is made from cork tiles, and the extra details are made with balsa and bass wood.

22540100012_6df7603d2b_k.jpgIMG_5605 by cnjpalmer

22564866181_d1801c8ecc_k.jpgIMG_5606 by cnjpalmer

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 21

That's a great start--looks sturdy too.  I recognize all of those materials, but I've never tried cork walls.  Might be worth a shot.

• Like 2

That's a great start--looks sturdy too. I recognize all of those materials, but I've never tried cork walls. Might be worth a shot.

That's really cool, I wouldn't have thought of cork before.

Using cork for gaming terrain isn't my original idea, but I sure am a fan of it. (For a real master at it, search "Matakishi's Tea House", and click the "Making Things" link on the top menu, and then the "Making Buildings" link.)

I like this courser kind for stone, and the finer grained tiles for thinks like concrete or cinderblock.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4

I love Matakishi's Tea House futuristic buildings... and I'd forgotten he(?) used cork for the off world colony...

• Like 2

Yes, it's amazing what he achieves in cork.

I put together some quick statues with one of the last Halloween figure packs left at my local Dollar Store, and some left over plaster building parts.

22561318602_76dea2a6d3_k.jpgIMG_5611 by cnjpalmer, on Flickr

• Like 10

Finished up the 2-story cork ruin this morning. I think it turned out pretty good. 

I'm currently considering what to build next.  I'm considering doing a wizards tower, and attempting bend a sheet of cork into a round shape using an oatmeal canister as a base. (anyone have thoughts on bending cork?)  My other thought is some sort of twin square towers that have some sort of precarious bridge between them.  I also have in the back of my mind doing some sort of frozen dock for a Frostgrave waterfront...  I recently got one of the Reaper Dark Maiden figures, and will be getting the "Titans of the Tide" figures with the Bones III Kickstarter, and I've just started have vague ideas of some sort of ruined dockside with half sunk ships and an iced over harbor...

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

Shown with my previous attempt:

IMG_5633.JPG

• Like 20

For bending cork... It might be easier to do with a couple thinner layers rather than the thick stuff... ::): Then you could have the seams of the layers offset, which should make it a lot stronger.

The new building looks great!

• Like 1

For bending cork... It might be easier to do with a couple thinner layers rather than the thick stuff... ::): Then you could have the seams of the layers offset, which should make it a lot stronger.

The new building looks great!

Thanks!

Yes, thinner is a good option; but for stylistic similarity I'd really like to use this same kind of tile. Most of the thinner cork I've seen is the finer grained type. I'll definitely go thinner if I can't make this work.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pochi
      I painted this lady both for the Reaper facebook contest and for my Dungeons & Dragons campaign. She was part of Bones 3 and is another example of a really pretty face. I love the whole mini!

I didn't want top paint her skin blue but did want her to look cold. I added a little blue to the Reaper pale skin triad. I used Clear Purple to glaze in the shadows and glazed all over with very thinned Clear Blue. I ended up using my favorite colors for her clothes, shocking I know! I used my favorite wolf pelt colors for her cloak. I considered doing a snow leopard type pelt but wasn't sure if the longer fur looked catlike. Who knows, maybe I will have to get a second one and give it a try! She was fun to paint!

• By Inarah
      I haven't completed much since Reapercon, but I have been working on some 3d terrain my husband made for me.  All I know about the well is that it came from Thingverse. 

Doors from a KS I backed: 

Anther Thingaverse thing, and Reaper Gravestone of Protection. 

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      How Did this start?
      So My Son, (7 at the time), enjoyed playing Vault manager, and one holiday he asked me If I could build him a vault to play with. So we sat down and drew up some designs, and then I sat down and did up the files, furiously prototyped, cut and amended the designs. Eventually I ended up with a corridor set that set up on a 4' x 4' board. I put it up on the BPLASER store and people seemed to like it.
      Fast forward 12 months, and I decided to expand the Corridor set with another 15 rooms, furniture and inserts, and put it up on Kickstarter to see if I could expand sales.
      The Corridor Set is a: multi gaming system, fully modular set of laser cut/ etched MDF terrain, for use with 28-32mm table top games. Each unit piece is a multi part kit made from Australian manufactured MDF, with the approx strength of the same thickness of pine board, which should give years of use.
      The modularity of the corridor set allows you to make unique table layouts every time you use it. Every piece will connect to any other piece letting you decide how large, or how small to make your battlefield.
      Vault, Spaceship or Corridor set.
      I have tried, in the design of the set, to make it as functional as possible, so the Corridor Set can be used to represent the interior of a spaceship, a fallout shelter, An evil scientist's lair, a military bunker,.... the list goes on. Using the many add-ons to the base set, you can make almost any scenario that comes to mind.
      I hope you will find it an interesting set, and battleground, and give a multitude of ideas in its set-up.
      INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE. PLEASE READ.
      I am in Brisbane, Australia.
      That's 11500 km from Los Angeles, and 16500 km from London. Shipping via ship from Australia takes 2-3 months and costs about $95 AUD for the base set.
      Airmail takes 5-10 days and costs approx $120 AUD for the base set. I have chosen Airmail as the most efficient and reliable method for you getting your gear. All parcels will be provided with a tracking number.
      ADD ONS. Postage will be calculated at approx $5 per item set, or room set that you add to your main pledge. This will mean that international postage is at a discounted rate.
      Backers from all other countries (Rest of the world) may have to pay additional import duties and other applicable taxes to the concerned authorities, upon receipt of their goods, based on the import policies of their respective countries. The duties and tax rates vary from country to country and we are unable to help you determine that for your shipment. If you wish to learn about the duties and taxes applicable to your shipment, you may want to check with the customs and border protection authority of your country.
      What's in the set:
       The following are some pics of the addons to the set. I will update them with painted versions in the next few days
      DOOR SET WITH BULKHEAD HATCH END CAP WITH BULKHEAD HATCH DOOR SET STANDARD FORCE DOOR SECURITY SHIELD
    • By SamuraiJack
      About
      Welcome to Undead Graveyard! 
      These graveyard elements add a thematic scenery to a simple board, with high quality resin pieces. In an easy and fun way you can turn any board into your private graveyard of the Undead Realms with our tombstones.
      This set is composed of 20 different tombstones models. They are ideal to decorate any playing surface or create dioramas and give life to your darkest ideas!
      This set is composed of 20 different tombstones models with an older style, half buried in the ground. They are ideal to decorate any playing surface or create dioramas and give life to your darkest ideas!
      UNDEAD AWAKENS
      Use the powers of your necromancer to give life to the undead who will awaken to destroy the souls of those who stand in your way.
      Available models:
      Fantastic static grass to decorate your scenery and miniatures: "Dead Grass" specially designed by Pablo el Marques and we show it to you in our campaign first.
      Each bag contains 2 grams of static grass.

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      main logo We're building a set of modular ruins for use with miniatures, ranging from a simple basic set of tumble-down walls to a whole cityscape of multiple levels, alleyways and rooftops.
      Together with Italian scenery sculptor The Lazy Forger we're hoping to improve on and add to our basic prototype set so that you can represent as much or as little as you need for your players in their overground adventures. Need a few brokendown walls? Rubble City will let you build many different setups from one kit. Want a gaming cupboard full of permanent structures for treasure-seeking adventurers? Rubble City does that too. Whether you're playing D&D, Frostgrave, Mordheim, Confrontation, or any miniatures-based wargame, these resin ruins will fit the bill.
      The Rubble City basic set contains 21 resin pieces scaled for 28-32mm models but easily repurposed with minor effort to suit smaller and larger scales. The basic set is enough to create roughly a 7" cube of ruins and the modular jigsaw design allows a wide variety of layouts just from one set.
      Rubble City basic set Combine two or more sets, however, and you can really start to build your imagination. Add pieces from the expansion sets and any additional Unlocks and the possibilities become almost endless ! Corners on the main pieces of Rubble City feature an interlocking jigsaw joint allowing multiple build options. Additionally, Rubble City is designed with post holes so you can add your own custom-made floors, and with door and window holes to allow whatever level of detailing you desire. If we can unlock them, stretch goals will add resin doors, windows, staircases, floors, ladders, roofs and more !
      Building with the basic set. Stacking walls and adding floors. We've made sure that there's loads of detail and texture crammed into each master model and our casting process preserves all of that detail faithfully. Cast in a stone-filled grey resin the castings are stonelike-enough in appearance to be used straight from the box but will obviously benefit from being painted. The following pictures show just how good the castings look with a simple paint process of undercoat - basecoat - colour wash - drybrush, and the addition of flock, static grass, and other model planting improves their appearance even more. 
      You can leave the resin pieces unassembled for maximum replayability - building a different layout every time - or assemble them more permanently with superglue ( and a little filler around finger joints ) before painting and leaving them based or unbased according to your preference.
  • Who's Online   28 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)