Chris Palmer

Chris's Frostgrave & Ghost Archipelago Terrain Efforts

I thought I would start my own Frostgrave terrain thread, since I started on my second ruin this week, and don't see my self stopping anytime soon. ::P: And, I didn't want to keep posting links in David's excellent Frostgrave terrain thread found here,
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65272-frostgrave-terrain/ , and detract from his efforts.

For those that missed it, I already posted my first ruin here in the Frostgrave thread in the Fantasy sub-forum:
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/63635-frostgrave/?p=1252554

This week, I thought I'd take things to another level :rolleyes: and try my hand at a two-story ruin...
Two improvements I wanted to try this week were to add more debris on to the base; and to mount the building on a squared base to help it feel more like an urban building.

The main structure is made from cork tiles, and the extra details are made with balsa and bass wood.

22540100012_6df7603d2b_k.jpgIMG_5605 by cnjpalmer

22564866181_d1801c8ecc_k.jpgIMG_5606 by cnjpalmer

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 20

That's a great start--looks sturdy too.  I recognize all of those materials, but I've never tried cork walls.  Might be worth a shot.

• Like 2

That's a great start--looks sturdy too. I recognize all of those materials, but I've never tried cork walls. Might be worth a shot.

That's really cool, I wouldn't have thought of cork before.

Using cork for gaming terrain isn't my original idea, but I sure am a fan of it. (For a real master at it, search "Matakishi's Tea House", and click the "Making Things" link on the top menu, and then the "Making Buildings" link.)

I like this courser kind for stone, and the finer grained tiles for thinks like concrete or cinderblock.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4

I love Matakishi's Tea House futuristic buildings... and I'd forgotten he(?) used cork for the off world colony...

• Like 2

Yes, it's amazing what he achieves in cork.

I put together some quick statues with one of the last Halloween figure packs left at my local Dollar Store, and some left over plaster building parts.

22561318602_76dea2a6d3_k.jpgIMG_5611 by cnjpalmer, on Flickr

• Like 9

Finished up the 2-story cork ruin this morning. I think it turned out pretty good. 

I'm currently considering what to build next.  I'm considering doing a wizards tower, and attempting bend a sheet of cork into a round shape using an oatmeal canister as a base. (anyone have thoughts on bending cork?)  My other thought is some sort of twin square towers that have some sort of precarious bridge between them.  I also have in the back of my mind doing some sort of frozen dock for a Frostgrave waterfront...  I recently got one of the Reaper Dark Maiden figures, and will be getting the "Titans of the Tide" figures with the Bones III Kickstarter, and I've just started have vague ideas of some sort of ruined dockside with half sunk ships and an iced over harbor...

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

Shown with my previous attempt:

IMG_5633.JPG

• Like 19

For bending cork... It might be easier to do with a couple thinner layers rather than the thick stuff... ::): Then you could have the seams of the layers offset, which should make it a lot stronger.

The new building looks great!

• Like 1

For bending cork... It might be easier to do with a couple thinner layers rather than the thick stuff... ::): Then you could have the seams of the layers offset, which should make it a lot stronger.

The new building looks great!

Thanks!

Yes, thinner is a good option; but for stylistic similarity I'd really like to use this same kind of tile. Most of the thinner cork I've seen is the finer grained type. I'll definitely go thinner if I can't make this work.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   1 member

• Similar Content

• By Jordan Peacock
      For a change, I'm actually getting to PLAY, rather than be the GM: one of my veteran players is taking over in order to run a Pathfinder RPG campaign -- the "Kingmaker" campaign - -while I take something of a break.  However, I can't just take a break completely, so even though the GM has a bunch of pre-painted Pathfinder and D&D minis at the ready for the campaign, and is using printed battle maps, I have been focusing on kit-bashing and painting minis for the PCs (and eventually whatever companions and cohorts they pick up on the way).

Recently, the adventurers acquired a wagon after defeating a bunch of bandits.  It was a wagon in pretty sad shape, but they fixed it up, and hitched up a couple of horses "liberated" from the bandits.  This has made it a lot easier to tend to their assigned task of exploring an area known as the "Greenbelt" -- hunting down monsters (or, in the case of the kobolds, making peace with them), and dealing with rampant banditry.

From left to right (rear row):
      * Human Paladin Sir Greys (Reaper #77197, "Erick Paladin Initiate")
      * Elven Kineticist Selana Kelsa (Reaper #77036, "Devona Female Wizard")
      * Gnomish Rogue Lis (composite of old Mage Knight miniature pieces)
      * Grippli Oracle Chirp Meadowsong (Reaper #77165, "Hellakin Goregutter," with head swap from Reaper #77268, "Squog Warriors")
      * Kitsune Magus Yuri (Reaper #77473, "Kogo Male Kitsune")
      * Half-Orc Sorcerer Gruush (Mage Knight Minions #065 "Medicine Troll")

Foreground:
      * Human Warden* [spell-less Ranger variant] Rook Greys (Reaper #77320, "Galadanoth Elf Sniper")

The horses are a couple of plastic Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy Battle horses (presumably from some sort of Empire set).  I had some "bitz boxes" out in the garage that I picked up at a game bazaar, including several horses -- either on sprues, or with badly-mangled partly assembled riders stuck to them with overly-caked glue.  I tried assembling a few and "dismounting" a couple more.  The two pictured are just two I randomly picked out for the picture.  (I figured there wasn't much sense in just taking pictures of the horses, since none of them are Reaper; they all need saddles and such.)

The wagon has wheels, cabinets, lanterns, keg, and crates/barrels of Hydrocal castings done with Hirst Arts Castlemolds.  The rest of the wagon is made up of wooden craft sticks (a mix of "popsicle sticks" and "matchsticks"), plus a couple of plastic head-pieces that someone had trimmed off of some Warhammer Fantasy dwarven mining carts for some purpose, and a random plastic shield hung on the side to show the heraldry for "Erastil" (since at least two members of the party -- the Greys cousins -- are followers of Erastil).  I used some epoxy putty to add a cushioned seat for the driver's bench.  I hope to personalize the wagon more as the campaign goes along -- adding trophies, maybe even some more shields or banners with heraldry of the rest of the party, or perhaps even a top for the wagon (if we can afford it, and get it done somehow back at the trading post).

I'm also working on some pieces to represent an adventurer campsite, but they need a little bit more work before I bother taking a photo.  (I tried making some tents with paper, and some others with putty.  Results were ... mixed.)  I suppose that's another thing I could imagine being useful from Bones: an "adventurer tent" (maybe even make it hollow), a "bedroll," and some sort of campfire (in translucent yellow or orange?): bonus points if it has a suspended kettle or a spit over it.  Beds and shelves are great for dungeons, but some scenes happen while the PCs are traveling and their camp gets ambushed by monsters out in the woods.  Or maybe the PCs are the ones doing the ambushing!  :)

• By Boaz
       That right guys and gals their not just for wedding cakes ... I like to fill mine with expanding foam (when I have a few foam projects lined up, the can of foam never works for me later so it's a use it or lose it) chop em up (once dry) and butter the ends with something rough and stout (I used flexall) ... a few examples from a city set I was working on before I moved (still unfinnished) ...

cities abound in hard cover so it's mostly for looks, nice looks but looks ... in a jungle or desert set it's a great way to add hard cover and have an overgrown lost temple (jungle) or lost oasis side ruins (desert) ... it's a simple and straight forward technique to add just the right sized cover in just about any table set you got ...

I got a large bag of them fairly cheap at a craft store (Michesls) a great value for the buck.

P.S. the Grey rubble is old model sprew rum through an old hand crank meat grinder ... who knew modeling could be so much fun !
    • By Boaz
       Started building a Kulathi battle force and colony outpost for their Kuden-3 outpost, in the Beehive star cluster, in the crab nebula ... 

Having 3 fingers a hand and 6 limbs the number system fore the Kulathi is based on 6 ... with 2,3 and 4 also prominent, so I based there units on 6 ...

An officer (2 pistols = smg) 3 left hand smg and 2 right hand automatic rifles make a strike team ... no other unit types teams can exceed the number of strike teams.

The fire team has 1 officer 1 smg and 4 auto rifles ... a longer ranged bite.

I'm also adding a few hound of Tindalos units (4 with 1 smg and 1 officer kulathi) with bigger things in the works ...

• By paintybeard
      I have used 02835 (Jolie) as an apprentice Sigilist in my Frostgrave warband.

Here she is with an old Citadel wizard, who is her mentor.

In my games he is called Bruce and she is named The Lovely Anthea. (Brits of a certain age may spot a cultural reference here.)

I get the feeling that Bruce chose his apprentice more for her... nice legs... that her skill in the mystical arts. But in the games I play Bruce frequently fails to cast his spells in a spectacular and messy fashion, while Anthea succeeds by the narrowest of margins!

• By Brianuk
      Inspired by getting the docks done I did some more work on an unfinished watchtower project. 
      It is a hexagonal pencil pot that I sawed in half. I put in balsa supports then layered coffee stirrers for the roof. 
      To defend it I have added foam core board annexes either side of the door. 
      I need to figure out how to do a lip all around the upper part (which will lift off) to disguise the joins. 
      For the door I am probably just going to stick some magnetic material to the back of a couple of one sided resin doors so there can be a broken and unbroken option. 
      Will paint or stick on the other doors and arrow slits. 
      I haven't put it on a hill, wanted it to be versatile so a fairly limited wooden base. Will landscape it but keep it relatively flat. 
      Will also add the ability to stick in artillery, I have the dwarf organ gun from Mantic and think that would be ideal as a 'deck gun'. 

• Who's Online   37 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)