Chris Palmer

Chris's Frostgrave & Ghost Archipelago Terrain Efforts

I thought I would start my own Frostgrave terrain thread, since I started on my second ruin this week, and don't see my self stopping anytime soon. ::P: And, I didn't want to keep posting links in David's excellent Frostgrave terrain thread found here,
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65272-frostgrave-terrain/ , and detract from his efforts.

For those that missed it, I already posted my first ruin here in the Frostgrave thread in the Fantasy sub-forum:
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/63635-frostgrave/?p=1252554

This week, I thought I'd take things to another level :rolleyes: and try my hand at a two-story ruin...
Two improvements I wanted to try this week were to add more debris on to the base; and to mount the building on a squared base to help it feel more like an urban building.

The main structure is made from cork tiles, and the extra details are made with balsa and bass wood.

22540100012_6df7603d2b_k.jpgIMG_5605 by cnjpalmer

22564866181_d1801c8ecc_k.jpgIMG_5606 by cnjpalmer

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 21

That's a great start--looks sturdy too.  I recognize all of those materials, but I've never tried cork walls.  Might be worth a shot.

• Like 2

That's a great start--looks sturdy too. I recognize all of those materials, but I've never tried cork walls. Might be worth a shot.

That's really cool, I wouldn't have thought of cork before.

Using cork for gaming terrain isn't my original idea, but I sure am a fan of it. (For a real master at it, search "Matakishi's Tea House", and click the "Making Things" link on the top menu, and then the "Making Buildings" link.)

I like this courser kind for stone, and the finer grained tiles for thinks like concrete or cinderblock.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4

I love Matakishi's Tea House futuristic buildings... and I'd forgotten he(?) used cork for the off world colony...

• Like 2

Yes, it's amazing what he achieves in cork.

I put together some quick statues with one of the last Halloween figure packs left at my local Dollar Store, and some left over plaster building parts.

22561318602_76dea2a6d3_k.jpgIMG_5611 by cnjpalmer, on Flickr

• Like 10

Finished up the 2-story cork ruin this morning. I think it turned out pretty good. 

I'm currently considering what to build next.  I'm considering doing a wizards tower, and attempting bend a sheet of cork into a round shape using an oatmeal canister as a base. (anyone have thoughts on bending cork?)  My other thought is some sort of twin square towers that have some sort of precarious bridge between them.  I also have in the back of my mind doing some sort of frozen dock for a Frostgrave waterfront...  I recently got one of the Reaper Dark Maiden figures, and will be getting the "Titans of the Tide" figures with the Bones III Kickstarter, and I've just started have vague ideas of some sort of ruined dockside with half sunk ships and an iced over harbor...

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

Shown with my previous attempt:

IMG_5633.JPG

• Like 20

For bending cork... It might be easier to do with a couple thinner layers rather than the thick stuff... ::): Then you could have the seams of the layers offset, which should make it a lot stronger.

The new building looks great!

• Like 1

For bending cork... It might be easier to do with a couple thinner layers rather than the thick stuff... ::): Then you could have the seams of the layers offset, which should make it a lot stronger.

The new building looks great!

Thanks!

Yes, thinner is a good option; but for stylistic similarity I'd really like to use this same kind of tile. Most of the thinner cork I've seen is the finer grained type. I'll definitely go thinner if I can't make this work.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By canuckotter
      @malefactus sent me some old Games Workshop plastic night goblins, and instead of putting them together properly I decided to stick the heads on the bodies of some Frostgrave plastic gnolls.

There's another one but he's badly unbalanced (in more ways than one) and keeps falling over. 
    • By SamuraiJack
      This was originally scheduled to launch a year ago:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/illusionist/taloc-mayan-a-tabletop-rpg-with-miniature-terrain?ref=discovery

About
      Choose your pledge The peoples of the ancient Maya began to polarize, forming two primary factions, the clan Kukul and clan Tezca.  Named the EagleBearers and the Jaguars respectively, their totems and animal familiars gave them untold amounts of power in their death throes against each other.  
      The Below is not immune to the dealings of those in the Above, and as their genocidal struggles continued, a great imbalance was created that must be satisfied before the End of Days.
      The Twin Gods You will choose a side, and work to re-balance the inequities created by this epic conflict.  In doing so you will travel amid rough jungle paths, swim through dripping cenotes, and even traverse the Below yourself in your quest to set things right.... but the days are numbered and the dangers are real.  It's a race against the calendar as you take advantage of the Mayan peculiarities of the day count, their namesakes, and the powers that are granted you as time goes on.
      We are big believers in "Theater of the Mind" roleplaying at the game table.  Our RPGs are designed to support your favorite rules systems (5e, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Swords & Wizardry, BECMI, Cthulhu and more).  We also feel that miniature terrain adds to the suspension of disbelief that enables quality storytelling.  This is why our books support the AnySystem enhancement where QR codes throughout the book allow you to scan and download the stat blocks and rules of your choice, while you system independent folks can just use the book right as it is!  For an example of the AnySystem at work, you can visit www.DwarvenEpics.com and click on the Delverr's Keep adventure module.
      With custom dice, immersive storytelling, excellent DM props, quality terrain and solid design, we think your roleplaying games using the Taloc: Mayan setting will be a big hit on game night.
      We also enjoy developing game systems that lean toward free range storytelling.  You are welcome to download our Evolve RPG character sheets for the Taloc: Mayan game which have a unique feature where your character starts with 0 for all ability scores and zero skills, feats, or hindrances.  Using the Evolve RPG method of play, you earn your abilities and skills through excellent roleplaying demonstrated to the gamemaster.  As you perform, the GM will reward you with FATE tokens which you can spend to level up your character and earn your abilities and skills.  Try it out and let us know what you think!  We will post a free character sheet with a 2 page quickstart rulebook if you'd like to try it out.
       We are so pleased you would support our Taloc: Mayan campaign so we can deliver the best RPG sourcebooks for the ancient Mayan world.  Who knows what tales will emerge from the sunken cenotes of this jungle covered setting?  This sourcebook is one of many that we hope to deliver over the next few months so please support this first one and we will bring you even more content for this expansive realm.
      First of many planned supplements  Rich illustrations from leading artists will be included in the production of this storyline to deliver the best quality for you RPG group.
      Rich Artwork and Illustrations We have spent a lot of time investing in new creatures, archetypes and characters that you can play in the game.  These are available as 2D minis with stands for this kickstarter but in the future we hope to do so much more with them!  With your support we can.  Here are some of the archetypes we are working into the setting:
       We are pleased to celebrate the wonderful artwork of the inimitable Freddy Lopez who was the inspiration for all of our monsters and character archetypes.  Please support him and buy his prints!
      We are also pleased to have cover artwork by the inestimable Patrick Blaine who really set the tone for the project.  Please support him and his comics at Top Cow and other places where his art is featured.
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studiolevel/the-gardbuk-shrine-wargames-winter-complete-terrai?ref=discovery

About
      The GÅRDBÛK Shrine - it's a mysterious ruin with arcane,  esoteric  history.  Story tells of few beings who have returned from this frozen hell on earth, it seems that the souls of the ancient rulers live within its walls. Each of them must pay the debt to their god GARDBUK for the gift of afterlife, guard the secrets of their Lord's temple from dusk to dawn and kill all daredevils who cross the frozen Bugk river.  Only those whoare foolish enoughor extremely bold toapproach the ruins deliberately, others only when they get lost in this extreme nature ice-bound and snow-covered forest wild.
      Would you dare to learn the secrets of Gardbuk? Will you risk the lives of your soldiers to get to know secrets hidden in the stone cellars of the ruins? Would you fight an epic battle with  ther daredevils who want to find this place , or are you just looking for wargaming winter terrain and frosty scenery?  If the latter is true, The Gardbuk Shrine is definitely for you. 
      Build your dream tabletop game board today with this high resolution, premium printed mousepad gamemat and epic, handcrafted, fully painted StudioLevel terrain system. 

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/701587775/fantasy-facades-by-bannerless-builds?ref=discovery

About
      Bannerless Builds is the result of years of passion and study by our lead designer, Gregory Bowes, a lifetime gamer who studied theatre set design in university and worked with Shakespeare in the Park productions in Montreal.  
      Greg needed a solution for how much space the terrain collection he’d built over the years needed, and how long it took to set up. Inspiration came from an unlikely source; in his own words, “One night I was watching Blazing Saddles and the scene where they recreate the town near the end made a lot of sense to me, in that they had to do it quickly. At that point it all just clicked in my head.”  
      By applying his theatre experience to the tabletop, Greg was able to minimize the footprint of his scenery while sustaining his love for 3D terrain. As Greg puts it, “I fell in love with 3D gaming when I owned my own game store and used to play wargames with customers. I tend to think more creatively in 3D, one example was in a recent game when the bad guy was escaping from us, up some stairs while his minions kept us at bay. As the mage I blasted the stairs apart under him, causing him to fall.”
      This Kickstarter campaign is to bring you the first wave of Facades, Scenery and Terrain from Bannerless builds! 
      Now, with that all out of the way, let's check out how you can get some of the aforementioned Fantasy Facades:
       Sounds cool right? What makes it even better is that through PledgeManager, you're able to Add-On any item you like! Such as:
      Just add the Kickstarter Price amount of the item(s) you want to your pledge!  (please note the shipping cost per item!)
      (Please Note: Shown are a painted and unpainted version of each item. With the exception of "packs," you will receive one (1) unpainted item for each item purchased. Add-On Prices are in CAD, the exchange rate usually hovers around $1 CAD = $0.75 USD) 
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)