Chris Palmer

Chris's Frostgrave & Ghost Archipelago Terrain Efforts

I like your idea canuckotter, and thank you for the kind words regarding my efforts!  Might I suggest some translucent plastic like a thin plastic sheet style cutting board or a craft cutting table protector for your translucent floor. (you might be able to find such an thing at the dollar store!)

Currently, I need some fountain help from the forum.   As thing percolate in my head, I'm starting to expand on my glowing crystal courtyard idea, and want it to include a fountain. (One of the Frostgrave scenarios involves a fountain, so this fits perfectly).  
  I recently got this large wizard figure, and was originally going to use him as a statue, but now I think I want to use him as the main part of my fountain.  I want to make two streams of water, one that comes out of each of his  hands, then meet in the middle (like he's conjuring the water), and then continue down as a single stream into the fountain's basin.   My current thinking is to drill small holes in his hands, then insert thin wire in each hand have the wire follow the path of the water stream, flowing from each hand, meeting and then wrap the wires into a single piece that goes into the basin.  Then i would coat the wire in hot glue to make the water.  Does that sound feasible? Does anyone have another idea?

22365423533_ab72c61a7b_z.jpgStatue1 by cnjpalmer

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 6

Not positive I'm getting the idea on what's going on with the water streams, but I'd suggest using fishing line instead of wire at the core, since it's (basically) clear. Might need to have two or three lengths in each core to make it strong enough, but I'm not sure...

• Like 3

I like your idea canuckotter, and thank you for the kind words regarding my efforts!  Might I suggest some translucent plastic like a thin plastic sheet style cutting board or a craft cutting table protector for your translucent floor. (you might be able to find such an thing at the dollar store!)

Currently, I need some fountain help from the forum.   As thing percolate in my head, I'm starting to expand on my glowing crystal courtyard idea, and want it to include a fountain. (One of the Frostgrave scenarios involves a fountain, so this fits perfectly).  

I recently got this large wizard figure, and was originally going to use him as a statue, but now I think I want to use him as the main part of my fountain.  I want to make two streams of water, one that comes out of each of his  hands, then meet in the middle (like he's conjuring the water), and then continue down as a single stream into the fountain's basin.   My current thinking is to drill small holes in his hands, then insert thin wire in each hand have the wire follow the path of the water stream, flowing from each hand, meeting and then wrap the wires into a single piece that goes into the basin.  Then i would coat the wire in hot glue to make the water.  Does that sound feasible? Does anyone have another idea?

22365423533_ab72c61a7b_z.jpgStatue1 by cnjpalmer

Not positive I'm getting the idea on what's going on with the water streams, but I'd suggest using fishing line instead of wire at the core, since it's (basically) clear. Might need to have two or three lengths in each core to make it strong enough, but I'm not sure...

Definitely fishing line instead of wire.

Instead of hot glue either use Woodland Scenics "Water Effects" or "Realistic Water" depending on what you effect you like better.

Video of winter model railroad scenery construction

Youtube search of water tutorials

Those might help.

George

• Like 5

After watching the winter scenery video knarthex linked to above, I just had to get some Water Effects to try my hand at some icicles.  I made a bunch, and then decided to  try some other materials so i could compare results.  Below is a photo, with the Water effects icicles on the left, some made with Tacky glue on the far right, and some made with hot glue on the upper right.
23156129392_ca8097a645_n.jpgIMG_5738 by cnjpalmer

Here's another look, with l to r, Water Effects, Tacky glue, and hot glue.  The Water Effects turned out the best.  The tacky glue ended up drying flat and translucent, and the hot glue was good, but had a slightly yellow tinge compared to the Water Effects ones.  
23181643001_4571ce69d2_n.jpgIMG_5741 by cnjpalmer

And here's a look at some of the Water Effects ones glued to my recent ruin.
23181646831_101bb09241_z.jpgIMG_5746 by cnjpalmer

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 11

Where did you get those armored statues?   I'm pretty sure somebody in this forum was looking for something exactly like that.

They're from  late 70's board game by Parker Brothers called, "All the King's Men".

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/57494/parker-american-edition

I found a copy in a flea market for $1, and thought the figures would make great statues.

• Like 1

Glad the video worked out for you!

I haven't done any winter themed terrain myself, but it looks like you really nailed it!

• Like 1