Chris Palmer

Chris's Frostgrave & Ghost Archipelago Terrain Efforts

David Brawley, Rob Dean, and my friend Greg came over yesterday for a Frostgrave terrain making session, and I used the time to work on my illuminated wizard fountain i had first mused about back in this post, http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65327-chriss-frostgrave-terrain-efforts/?p=1264410 , where I  tlaked about a LED light set and plastic crystal snowflake that I had purchased from my local Dollar Tree store.    Add to that the wizard figure I had got, shown here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65327-chriss-frostgrave-terrain-efforts/?p=1264689 , that had inspired me to make a fountain.

Here's where I started, with a cork base, which I then glued a sheet of aluminum foil to in order to help with spreading the illumination under the fountain's courtyard.  I then worked on constructing cork walls for the courtyard, and the base of the fountain, which would hide the battery pack.
23204442845_38f56ede7f.jpgphoto204 by cnjpalmer

If you want to see the complete step-by-step, click the spoiler icon:

I then cut the decking for the courtyard out of foamcore, and scribed paving stones on to it, and gave it some texture by pressing a rock in to it here and there. i didn't glue the decking down yet.
22575971494_16aaa10674.jpgphoto205 by cnjpalmer

Then I cut the fountain basin from a roll of thin cork sheet I had, and fitted that into place, and then trimmed the courtyard deck to fit.
23178348046_37ecfe7692.jpgphoto213 by cnjpalmer

Next, I punched holes in the decking where I will be gluing the crystals, and then built up the fountain base to hide the battery pack.
22577362563_53c46ab75f.jpgphoto215 by cnjpalmer

I then cut up an old cutting surface protection sheet i had to make the water sub-flooring for the fountain. (I eventually will be putting Woodland Scenics Water Effects on top.)
23204452625_5eec552845.jpgphoto216 by cnjpalmer

And here is where the piece stood at the end of the session.   I need to make sure all the seams are closed up good with glue, so when I paint it, there will be no light leaks. Then I will be painting it, adding the crystals to the courtyard, then turning the wizard into a fountain with streams of water flowing from his hands, then lastly add the water to the basin.
22577367303_32b181d56c.jpgphoto217 by cnjpalmer

• Like 12

A quick Sunday afternoon update. Today, I was able to work on the wizard part of the fountain. I drilled a small hole in each of his hands then ran thin clear filament through them, (I don't know if its specifically fishing line, as it is what came with a string of beads on it that my wife bought at the craft store for jewelry making. But it looked close enough to fishing line for my purposes!), and glued them to the hands with super glue. I then looped the lower end of the upper filiment around the lower filament and spread superglue over the joint. When the superglue dries, I will clip the filaments where they come out of the the back sides of the hands so they are flush and can be hidden when I paint the wizard. My eventual goal is to use this as an armature to spread the Woodland Scenics Water Effects over to make it look like streams of water.

22592801923_096c15f499.jpgFullSizeRendera by cnjpalmer

I also started cutting up and re-gluing parts of the plastic snowflake into the crystal growths that will go in the courtyard. I was lucky to find out that my Plastruct plastic glue work to glue this plastic.

22592802783_56b393b784.jpgFullSizeRenderc by cnjpalmer

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 10

Rounding third and heading for home with the fountain now.  Everything is painted, the crystals are affixed to the courtyard, and the wizard statue is glued in his place. The water stream has been positioned, and the Woodland Scenics Water Effects has been applied to the fishing line and the basin of the foutnain.  All that needs to happen now is the drying...

23174763362_814e436046.jpgFountainc by cnjpalmer

The Water Effects can take up to 24 hours or more to dry, so it may be a couple days before I can post the final photos.

• Like 12

I really hope the lights work out...

Me too! :-)

They're a little uneven under the crytals, but that might not necessarily be a bad thing.

• Like 1

I thought I would post an update since its been a few days.  I have discovered that the Water Effects, when applied in a thick layer (like I did in the fountain), can take a couple weeks to fully dry.   So, my fountain is still half uncured, and not yet presentable.  ::(:  

In the meantime, you may remember back on the 9th I posted some photos of some ships I bought at the Fall-In flea market, with the goal of turning them into half-sunk wrecks in the Frostgrave harbor.  (See: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65327-chriss-frostgrave-terrain-efforts/?p=1261976    I asked a friend with a band-saw if he would warerline the big ship for me, and cut one of the smaller ships in half, so I could make two half-sunk ships out of the single model.  Last night he sent me some pictures of the results, and I'm very pleased.  

For the big ship, I'm thinking along the lines of trying to capture the look of the ship at the beginning of the movie "National Treasure".

23286069181_441270fb68.jpgIMG_20151127_162435 by cnjpalmer

23286070581_ce79359f0d.jpgIMG_20151127_164128 by cnjpalmer

I plan to pick these up from him this coming Friday, so hopefully I can start working on them next weekend.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 14

As I still wait for the fountain to dry, I finished painting some quickie statues I made from Dollar Tree figures, that I had first shown back on Oct. 29th here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65327-chriss-frostgrave-terrain-efforts/?p=1254719

23134634910_76485902bc.jpgIMG_5790 by cnjpalmer

I plan to winterize them a little with some snow and an icicle or two.

I'm probably going to declare the fountain finished on Wednesday or Thursday and post pictures then.  There still might be a bit of cloudiness in the depths of the Water Effects, but we can just say it's submerged ice.  ^_^

• Like 6

I have declared the fountain finished!   Here it is in all it's illuminated splendor:

IMG_5812.JPG

And here's a closer shot with the room lights turned on. You can see some of the illumination is still visible, even in the bright light:

IMG_5825.JPG

And here is a shot of it just in it's plain state with the LED lights turned off:

IMG_5828.JPG

Here's a shot of the battery compartment door, which I never really showed before:

IMG_5822.JPG

I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and I can't wait to use it in a game.    

And while I had the "snow" out, I added a bit to those statues I had recently painted.
22841262713_a847891d3d.jpgIMG_5804 by cnjpalmer

Next up, I will start working on my Forstgrave waterfront pieces.  So stay tuned... ^_^

• Like 19

HOLY CARP, THAT IS AWESOME.  

It looks really, really good.  Nice work!

• Like 2

That is very, very cool. ::): It's a neat piece even without the lighting, but that brings it up to a new level. Very nicely done!

• Like 1