Chris Palmer

Chris's Frostgrave & Ghost Archipelago Terrain Efforts

On 11/20/2017 at 9:27 AM, malefactus said:

OUTSTANDING! The Living Impaired Lad & his Ghostly Dog are a WONDERFUL pair..nicely painted, base, & very imaginative. VERY WELL DONE!

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I especially love that doggo !

Thanks for the comments, malefactus and Glitterwolf!    I always appreciate feedback from you guys.

Today, I finished up  the other dog from the Dollar Tree Zombie set.  I painted his one just as some sort of old statue to use as a piece of scatter terrain.   Of course, maybe it's not a statue at all.... :ph34r:

fullsizeoutput_25d9.jpeg

Also, I worked a bit more on stuff for our upcoming Christmas-themed Frostgrave game.  This is a treasure token.  I decided I'm going to make three special treasure tokens for the game, all with a Christmas Story twist.  This is the Leg Lamp, another will be a Red Ryder BB-gun, and not sure if the third will just be a "Fra-giel- lay" crate, or maybe a roast turkey...

To make this I used a little wood disc-shaped bead for the base, a leg from an old Wargames Factory Female Zombie, and a wooden plug for the lampshade.

fullsizeoutput_25dc.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 9
  • Haha 5

Love the second Dog too!

Statue or alive? It offers possibilities for gameplay!

*** Lord! I swear! That Statue was looking at me!!!***

*** Don't be ridicilous! It's stone!***

*** Then why is it drooling?***

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Love the second Dog too!

Statue or alive? It offers possibilities for gameplay!

*** Lord! I swear! That Statue was looking at me!!!***

*** Don't be ridicilous! It's stone!***

*** Then why is it drooling?***

Thanks, Glitterwolf!   I always enjoy your little dialogue vignettes! ::):

I whipped this up today; the next in my special Christmas Story Frostgrave treasure tokens.

First, I searched online for a picture of a Red Ryder BB gun box, and shrunk it down and printed  a couple copies of it.  I then glued the little printed versions on to a small strip of balsa wood, leaving a little extended over one end, to make it look like the box was open.  I then grabbed a plastic rifle from the bits box, and cut it down and glued it into the open end of the box.

Next I'm going to make a simple base for it, and paint the gun. 

Don't shoot your little 28mm eye out! :lol:  

fullsizeoutput_25e0.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 11

21 hours ago, Zink said:

Loving the creativity!

Thanks, Zink!   

Today, I put the final Dullcote spray on the four special "A Christmas Story" Treasure Markers I made for December's Frostgrave Game.

Knabe tells me he has a pair of bunny figures for me to make pink rabbit slippers out of, so I may be adding a 5th Treasure Marker before the game. ::):

fullsizeoutput_2636.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2633.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2635.jpeg

• Like 9

Cool treasure tokens, and you did an excellent job rebasing that inquisitor figure!:winkthumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2017 at 3:54 PM, Chris Palmer said:

Thanks for the comments, malefactus and Glitterwolf!    I always appreciate feedback from you guys.

Today, I finished up  the other dog from the Dollar Tree Zombie set.  I painted his one just as some sort of old statue to use as a piece of scatter terrain.   Of course, maybe it's not a statue at all.... :ph34r:

fullsizeoutput_25d9.jpeg

Also, I worked a bit more on stuff for our upcoming Christmas-themed Frostgrave game.  This is a treasure token.  I decided I'm going to make three special treasure tokens for the game, all with a Christmas Story twist.  This is the Leg Lamp, another will be a Red Ryder BB-gun, and not sure if the third will just be a "Fra-giel- lay" crate, or maybe a roast turkey...

To make this I used a little wood disc-shaped bead for the base, a leg from an old Wargames Factory Female Zombie, and a wooden plug for the lampshade.

fullsizeoutput_25dc.jpeg

Awesome! I love it!

I was going to suggest a bunny suit token. You could also have a big fruit basket like Ralphie gave his teacher. Or a Little Orphan Annie decoder. lol 'Tis the season to rewatch this movie!

• Thanks 1

Chris,

sorry to break the train of thought here for a post, but just to say I've got to thank you re: your early posts about using thick cork (of a particular 'kind') for buildings etc.

although it seemed quite difficult to get the right stuff here in the UK, I finally managed to get hold of a couple of large 20mm thick sheets.

A bit too thick arguably, but as I'm using it primarily for GA ruins  I was able to get adequately shaped pieces, and the overall 'look' given the amount of modelling I've had to do is just great as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't have thought of it without your posts in this thread - so, again, thank you very much.

pic attached of my GA set-up, although the watchtower isn't painted etc yet in it. hope it's ok to put up in your thread - if not let me know and I'll delete it.

chris corker.jpg

• Like 9

On 11/27/2017 at 1:55 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Pretty cool!

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

On 11/30/2017 at 9:22 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Cool treasure tokens, and you did an excellent job rebasing that inquisitor figure!:winkthumbs:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

1 hour ago, Pochi said:

Awesome! I love it!

I was going to suggest a bunny suit token. You could also have a big fruit basket like Ralphie gave his teacher. Or a Little Orphan Annie decoder. lol 'Tis the season to rewatch this movie!

Thanks, Pochi!   Those are all great ideas!   In fact, Knabe dropped of a pair of small rabbit figures (From the old Mega Minis Rabbit Swarm pack) and tasked me with making a pair of pink bunny slippers treasure token out of them...I should have initial construction photos to post later today, as i scramble to get them finished by Saturday!    I was also thinking an under-cooked Turkey or even a Chinese Turkey would be other possible ones, or perhaps Ralphie's theme "What I Want For Christmas" with a big "C+" written on it...  

52 minutes ago, Harrocks said:

Chris,

sorry to break the train of thought here for a post, but just to say I've got to thank you re: your early posts about using thick cork (of a particular 'kind') for buildings etc.

although it seemed quite difficult to get the right stuff here in the UK, I finally managed to get hold of a couple of large 20mm thick sheets.

A bit too thick arguably, but as I'm using it primarily for GA ruins  I was able to get adequately shaped pieces, and the overall 'look' given the amount of modelling I've had to do is just great as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't have thought of it without your posts in this thread - so, again, thank you very much.

pic attached of my GA set-up, although the watchtower isn't painted etc yet in it. hope it's ok to put up in your thread - if not let me know and I'll delete it.

chris corker.jpg

Harrocks-

That looks great!  I agree they work perfectly for GA.  I'm happy to have provided some inspiration, and I don't mind at all that you posted it here. Good job!  

• Like 5

A while back forum member Knabe, who is also in our Frostgrave Campaign, told me he had a pair of small rabbit figures that he was going to give me to turn into at treasure token that was a  pair of pink rabbit slippers just like in the movie A Christmas Story; to go with the collection of Christmas Story Frostgrave pieces I had been working on...  

5378414188_0010425718.jpg

A-Christmas-Story-Bunny-Slippers-2107820_1024x1024.jpeg

Well, last Sunday he delivered the figures to me, giving me a week to construct the slippers.  They are pair of the smaller rabbits from the Mega Miniatures Rabbit Swarm pack.  And while small, they are not human-slipper small; so we decided they would be Troll or Giant slippers.  (Hey, maybe Giants and Trolls can get Bunny pajamas as presents from their Aunt Clara too!)   

fullsizeoutput_26fd.jpeg

I finally had some time the past two days to consider the construction and start making the slippers.   I began by cutting the heads off the rabbits, which was a lot of work considering the thickness of the metal.    I then constructed two soles for the slippers out of the rounded ends of coffee stirrers, which I slightly filed the sides of to make the natural indents a shoe/slipper sole has.  After that, I glued thin strips of paper around the edge of the sole pieces to make the body of the slipper.  It was then just a matter of gluing everything to a 1" fender washer.

So that is where I am now.  Hopefully today I can get the piece primed, and I can paint it tomorrow.

fullsizeoutput_26ff.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

Ok, so with making the bunny slippers I realized I now had 5 special treasure tokens; but it's looking like we will be getting 6 of our players for Saturday's game.  So I had the thought, that if I had 6 special treasure tokens, I could let each player place one of them.  So that would mean I needed to make one more...

Which led me to the Old Man's Turkey...

dont-touch-tht-turkey.jpg

I was pressed for time, and knew it didn't have to be perfect, but after about 15 minutes of smooshing around greenstuff, and another 15 minutes cutting a granny grating cooking rack, and making a paper drip tray, I had this...fullsizeoutput_2700.jpeg

Best part is, I get to use my Reaper Holiday Color paint "Turkey Brown" for it's true intended purpose!

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1