knarthex

Making a Well with Sculpey, First time Sculpting with this....

I will likely put it on one of the washers that I used for the circle template. It is the same thickness as a base.

8)

George

• Like 1

So I primed a washer and stuck it on after painting...

Dry brushed the thing with a bunch of greys, plus some khaki, then washed it with Black Magic Wash, and while that was still wet, added some Brown Magic Wash.

Then dry brushed some more greys.

Added random splotches with Green, Purple, and Blue inks, then washed whole thing with Devlin Mud.

Pics:

034.jpg

033.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

029.jpg

Then some more dry brushing, and the bottom was painted with Reaper Blue Liner.

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

I just hit it with some Dullcote, and after another coat or 2, will start using Flocking for plants crawling on it...

Comments welcome!

George

• Like 4

Well done.  You did a great job.  One of my pet peeves with stonework is when people paint them all the same colour instead of shading individual stones to break it up.  When you add some random coloured stones into the mix, it looks so much more realistic.  I can't tell from the last photo - did your final steps hide the stonework you did with the different colours?

So I added some flocking on the well to look like plants growing on it, and started filling it with Water Effects.

When I get the level up to where I want it, this will be finished....

Pics

006_1.jpg

007_1.jpg

008_1.jpg

009_1.jpg

Sorry the pics are a little blurry...

Comments Welcome!

George

• Like 7

possibly curve some of your plant life onto the surface of your water (on the last pour of course).  just to give the interior a bit of interest.

possibly curve some of your plant life onto the surface of your water (on the last pour of course).  just to give the interior a bit of interest.

Good Idea!

Disaster!

I either poured to much water, so that it shrank as it dried, or I missed one hades of an air bubble! Don't know if it shows well, but here are some pics...

006_2.jpg

005_1.jpg

004_1.jpg

Going to attempt to fix it by adding a touch more water effects...

Wish me Luck!

George

Edit---> It's all Buglips Fault! He is the one that started me down this road of reporting errors in these Works in Progress!

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 4

thats not an issue  just use a syringe to slowly fill the hole with the water effects and let it cure again.  This may take a couple of tries so be patient.

using the syringe allows you to fill from the bottom up slowly and will prevent bubbles from forming.  The water effect will soften the already cured material and they will meld together.

• Like 1

thats not an issue  just use a syringe to slowly fill the hole with the water effects and let it cure again.  This may take a couple of tries so be patient.

using the syringe allows you to fill from the bottom up slowly and will prevent bubbles from forming.  The water effect will soften the already cured material and they will meld together.

Thanks Robinh!

I use an eye dropper, and did what you suggested on this, and the Well of Chaos I am working on.

Fingers crossed!

George

• Like 2

I think it came out very nicely. I can only sorta see the bubble that's vexing you, but I imagine it's more pronounced in person.

Looks good. Quick comment on armatures for Sculpey and other polymer clays - you can use paper and cardboard as well - they don't melt with heat, and their burn point is higher than temperature used for curing the polymer clay.

Thanks folks!

I think it came out very nicely. I can only sorta see the bubble that's vexing you, but I imagine it's more pronounced in person.

Yup, it's like that pimple you get when you are 17, YOU think it's huge, and no one else can see it....

Looks good. Quick comment on armatures for Sculpey and other polymer clays - you can use paper and cardboard as well - they don't melt with heat, and their burn point is higher than temperature used for curing the polymer clay.

Thanks for the info!

Don't know what I am going to try next with sculpey, likely something like stalagmites....

George

Edit---> Hole is now gone, a little bit of Water Effect at a time! And I just flocked the inside of the well with plant material. Pics when glue is dry....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 2

OK here are the final (blurry) pics...

I can't seem to get the camera to pull in the whole image again....

As per robinh's suggestion, I coiled the plant growth down to the water on the inside of the well.

001_1.jpg

003_1.jpg

004_2.jpg

007_2.jpg

008_2.jpg

011.jpg

Comments and thoughts gladly accepted!

George

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By redfox
      My friend found this dwarf, he thinks he got it around 2006, about eleven years ago:

• By Worried Bard
      Anyone have any tips for making good bases for miniatures?  
    • By OvantheWise
      So hear is a loaded cannon for every one; How do you paint fabric to make it look realistic. I personally tend to build up many layers of highlights and shadows and that how I do fabric, I may free hand a designee on but that really about it. I've notice wile going threw some of last years winners for reaper con that some of the fabric was painted in a almost stippled effect and it look more like a hand stitched/hand made dress or tabard. I have been trying to replicate this with no avail what so ever and going back threw old work I seem to have gotten something close back when I was learning to paint and I have no idea what I did to get that textured look. Any advice out there on how to get this look?
    • By DaemonDoesMinis
      Ok so I'm 5 months from 40 and never painted a model in my life. But a group of friends and I have recently started a D&D 5e campaign on guys trip and really got into it. However it soon became apparent that stick pins and grid board suck. So i wanted to get some minis for our game.... I was looking at pre paints but those are few and far between or over priced so watched a few Youtube videos... got an itch and firgured why the hell not.... so since i live in bumfuq nowhere i ordered from amazon and ebay the types of figures i needed for our characters a dwarf cleric, elf ranger, and elf mage.... i started with the dwarf, figured it would be easier as my friend likes alliance in WoW and always plays dwarfs but soon learned metal paints are a pain in the rump to me. the elf i did last night and i think i see improvement over the dwarf attempt. though seeing pictures brought out the flaws i hope fix before clear coating either one. i was in such a newbie rush i primed before triming the extra mold lines on the elf but really i seem to be missing the trick even with a new knife blade the lines seem to splinter or split and not come off the model. maybe i need files? seems like there were alot of defects on these plastic minis... my mage is metal and much better and detailed. Please let me know what you think and where i may need to ficus my attention to improve. Oh and any and all tips on mold line/imperfection removal definately appreciated :-)

• By Aard_Rinn
      So of late I've been on a bit of a culinary kick wrt bread - I've been doing a lot of sriracha cheesebreads and the like to help handle something of an outbreak of avacados in the area, and we've valiantly beaten them back. So now, I've stepped on something new, that those of you who do a lot of technical baking may or may not have heard of: a japanese baking method called Tangzhong.

Anybody who's made choux pastry (profiteroles, eclairs, and the like) has at least a passing acquaintance with the method. Rather than simply using dry and wet ingredients mixed together, a third step is taken - to heat a part of the liquid and a part of the flour together into a heavy, choux-like paste before incorporating them with the rest of the recipe.

Why?

BECAUSE IT MAKES THE SQUOOSHIEST BREAD EVER.

(forgive the poop photos btw my phone is awful)

This is the recipe I used. I will be honest, I am a naughty baker, and didn't measure a gorram thing. Not one. Well, the eggs. I used two eggs. So I measured those. Heck, I barely even read how much I was supposed to use.

It fine, friendos. Life is chaos. Bread is chaos.

OH MY GOODNESS IT SQUOOSHY. This is easily the tenderest, lightest-crumbed bread I've ever made. One person I encountered while reading up on the technique described it as croissant-like, and that's pretty accurate - it definitely has the directional grain that a croissant does, although obviously without the super-thin layers. More of a tender, dense layering, where the whole thing is easy to pull apart. The bread I made was a pretty typical milk bread - the white soft sandwich loaves you get in Chinese grocers - that I obviously did up as pull-buns, but it would work fine as a loaf as long as you're willing to put the effort into shaping it.

And that's the key with this recipe, I think: shaping. You've gotta sort of... roll the dough into a flat rectangle, after it rises the first time, then roll it up into a tube? or else it didn't get flakey. I divided the loaf and then did that to each section, but I imagine there are several techniques.

Other than that... When you make it the dough will be WAY TIGHTER than you think it should (but not hard, just tight? if that makes any sense) - it's fine. Slap it and you won't dent it tight. It didn't get much softer after rising, either, the first time. I used an egg wash, you might not - up to you! It will be ROCK HARD crusted when it comes out - THIS IS A LIE. Give it 10 minutes to rest, it'll soften, but DON'T OVERCOOK IT or it won't.

Look at this bread:

(on it's side to vent steam)

mmm thassa sexy brad.

pat of cold butter:

MMM-MMM i am plating these like gordon ramsay is standing on my shoulder.

As another note, this dough can also be used to make tasty Bao, which are really not that easy to make unless you get the dough just right.

Hunk of dough:

Bao wrapper:

Bao filling (in this case, pork & mustard w/ some additional water chestnuts for crunch)

The next logical step:

Bao:

SO MANY BAO:

(And then the awkward last bit when you forget to take any pictures of the finished product...)

So yes, that was my week in breadmaking! It was tasty.
  • Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)