marmalade

14497 Chiral, Centaur Captain

Welcome to the forums.

You did a great job on her., eyes are difficult, lots of people won even tackle those. So good start,.

I like the base. Nice touch with the flowers.

Two minor nitpickings

- Take pictures against a neutral background, maybe use a sheet of paper or something. We have a thread called Shutterbug. That will make it easier to see, the keyboard is kinda distracting.

- on the mini- I noticed you painted the spear completely metal. Most spears have a wooden shaft. Or are you treating it as a full metal lance?

I hope to see more of your work. If this is your first mini, then you really got talent there.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forums.

You did a great job on her., eyes are difficult, lots of people won even tackle those. So good start,.

I like the base. Nice touch with the flowers.

Two minor nitpickings

- Take pictures against a neutral background, maybe use a sheet of paper or something. We have a thread called Shutterbug. That will make it easier to see, the keyboard is kinda distracting.

- on the mini- I noticed you painted the spear completely metal. Most spears have a wooden shaft. Or are you treating it as a full metal lance?

I hope to see more of your work. If this is your first mini, then you really got talent there.

Thank you! And I plan on doing some better pictures once I get home, I literally finished her just in time for game night, which is right before work XD. And the spear is supposed to resemble a lance somewhat as I play a cavalier, I was debating adding onto that some more with epoxy as well. 

• Like 3

Welcome,  as Xherman stated, you are off to a great start.   I would watch the various videos on highlights and shadows to help bring a bit more life to the mini.  Eyes are the bane of our existence.. so you have done really well with these for a first time and I would not stress over them.

• Like 3

Welcome,  as Xherman stated, you are off to a great start.   I would watch the various videos on highlights and shadows to help bring a bit more life to the mini.  Eyes are the bane of our existence.. so you have done really well with these for a first time and I would not stress over them.

Thanks! I tried doing some highlighting and shading on the hair/tail/fur, but I definitely could have pushed it a bit more and gotten another shade or two in there. I need to get some more textured minis and practice for sure. 

• Like 2

Well done indeed, if you search for neutral backgrounds for 28mm miniature photography you will find some printable ones. Well worth is to improve your pics. When you photograph something as small as a mini if you have a background with detail the camera will have a hard time focusing whereas a diffuse soft background will allow the camera to focus on the subject. Keep up the painting you are doing great ;)

• Like 2

Well done indeed, if you search for neutral backgrounds for 28mm miniature photography you will find some printable ones. Well worth is to improve your pics. When you photograph something as small as a mini if you have a background with detail the camera will have a hard time focusing whereas a diffuse soft background will allow the camera to focus on the subject. Keep up the painting you are doing great ;)

Awesome tip, thanks!

• Like 2

WELCOME to The Forum...that was a FINE way of introducing yourself. Have a LONG & MERRY stay!

You are a natural. Your first creation is far better than anything I painted early on in the craft. Your brushwork & color choices are SPLENDID...you will only get better as you continue. The base is OUTSTANDINGVERY WELL DONE!

• Like 2

WELCOME to The Forum...that was a FINE way of introducing yourself. Have a LONG & MERRY stay!

You are a natural. Your first creation is far better than anything I painted early on in the craft. Your brushwork & color choices are SPLENDID...you will only get better as you continue. The base is OUTSTANDINGVERY WELL DONE!

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

Welcome to insanity  the Forums!!! Have fun & don't die!

Anywho, wonderful job for your first mini, It took me two years into the craft to do eyeballs. It looks pretty cool, keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Welcome to our Asylum away from Home!

Very well done for a first mini!

You say you made the flowers out of sand and twine? Can you please explain?

There is a whole section of the Website called 'The Craft', which has a ton of good how tos. Highly recommended reading!

The tutorial 'Bette Davis Eyes' really helped me when it comes to doing eyes. I used to abhor, despise, hate, etc painting eyes, no it is just a more finicky chore...

There are a lot of silly things going on around these forums, don't let them throw you! people love to look at your work, and will give you positive feed back on what you have done.

Post often! Do works in progress! Ask questions! If one person doesn't know, 3 others will tell you how to do it their way!

2 suggestions:

Read the thread on Paint Brushes, and spend the money for them, you will be glad you did! I have been painting for 30+ years, and I finally broke down and spent the money, and have not looked back!

Learn about Wet Palettes. These things are the best! and if you don't want to buy one, you can make one cheap!

Most of all, This is supposed to be FUN!

If you are not having fun, clean up, put away your stuff and walk away for a while.

When this happens to me, I find myself on the forums asking questions, and looking at the Show off threads, the Work In Progress threads, the painting tips threads, well you get the idea!

So enjoy yourself!

And hide your Pro-Paints, Polly S paints, and Ral Partha paints from the Tangerine Goblin!

George

ps, all the off color things are links to the things I am talking about. If you knew that, sorry! (It took me more than a week to figure that out....)

• Like 3