Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Some boats from the Renaissance Miniatures East Asian set

These are from the Boat Pack, part of the Renaissance Miniatures East Asian line.  I made them up for my husband's birthday.

On the whole they went together fairly straighforwardly.  I found the cabin support hoops on the larger boat (they call it a "twakow" but "tongkang" may be a more common term -- I just think of it as a riverboat with a sail) needed a little shaving to fit into the openings on the deck.  The planks that go over the hoops, making the shelter, were a little fiddly on both the sampan and the larger river boat.  I ended up leaving off the top central plank on the sampan.

I include the Reaper Sea Lion and a Dark Sword mermaid warrior figure for scale.

These are the outrigger canoes, one with a sail:

post-8022-0-21792300-1448124486.jpg

post-8022-0-97192200-1448124519.jpg

This is the larger, sailed riverboat and the sampan:
post-8022-0-97110500-1448124670.jpg

post-8022-0-82739300-1448124701.jpg

post-8022-0-74811000-1448124725.jpg

• Like 17

Those look pretty sweet.

So does you ocean mat.

Thanks.  It's two pieces of crinkled organza, about a yard each, in two different shades of blue layered over each other (and in this case folded in two).  Set it in front of a piece of baby-blue sheeting draped over a box and it isn't half bad for an ocean.

• Like 4

The boats look TERRIFIC; from the swells they are negotiating, the are seaworthy craft as well. OUTSTANDING WORK on the boats & the sea effect!

• Like 2

Those are some nice sea-worthy vessels there.

Since you've done a few different kits by this company, how would you rate ease of assembly? Easy/beginner, advanced/intermediate, etc?

Those are some nice sea-worthy vessels there.

Since you've done a few different kits by this company, how would you rate ease of assembly? Easy/beginner, advanced/intermediate, etc?

I would say intermediate. The pieces need removal from the sheet of very thin plywood using a craft knife. They are mostly precut with minuscule connected points to keep the pieces in the sheet, but sometimes there is a bit more cutting needed when the laser was a little stuttery. The shapes can be a little intricate, so one needs to take care removing them from the sheets.

Once removed the parts go together pretty easily and precisely, especially the buildings.

I have had to be more careful with accessory kits like these boats where the pieces do not dovetail together so neatly as the buildings. The layers of the big river boat are simply stacked on each other. They slipped a bit out of alignment as it was drying overnight and I had to recut the hole for the mast so it would stand straight. The final effect is pleasing, though.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this