Dr.Bedlam

Bubblegum Dragon

94 posts in this topic

The problem at hand lay in a wealth of excess: too many dragons and too much paint. I have no idea where the extra Bones fire dragon came from; I'm assuming a Kickstarter, since I don't remember buying an extra. And every time I order something from the factory, one of the lovely people in Shipping throws in a bottle of pink paint.

It's not always the SAME pink... but I now have several bottles each of bubblegum pink, Breast Cancer Awareness Pink... this is not normally a bad thing, but I don't USE a lot of pink except in flowers, mouseling tails and ears, and occasionally clothing. Admittedly, I do a lot of mouselings, but still...

And then Berni hit it yesterday: "Why not do a Bubblegum Dragon?"

77109_w_1.jpg ...and so the experiment began. This dragon sits now on my workbench, scrubbed clean and wearing a fine coat of brown liner.

I didn't bother posting a picture of the dragon in question, because he's boring, and still not dry. But I will keep you informed. After I work the cricks out of my neck, that is...

14 people like this

It takes a tough man to paint a Pink Dragon. I wonder what kind of breath weapon a Pink Dragon would have; may be intense Double Bubble Breath.

4 people like this

It takes a tough man to paint a Pink Dragon. I wonder what kind of breath weapon a Pink Dragon would have; may be intense Double Bubble Breath.

I was thinking either two things....big pink bubbles OR a pinky sticky sludge

3 people like this

When the brown liner dried, I did a quick drybrush in white to bring out the detail, then washed it with Transparent Red. Watered it down a bit, and durned if it didn't wash out into a light red/darkish pink...

When the wash dries completely, I am pondering drybrushing with Bubblegum Pink, and highlighting with Breast Cancer Awareness Pink.

4207b022a72ab978ebcc6a27b6c9b9e7.jpg

13 people like this

Interesting concept.

Gotta be Big League Chew or Bazooka  (since both those are pretty nasty b'gum) :lol:

I had to do a google to see what might came up & I came across this. May it bring you inspiration:

tumblr_m4pkol5TpE1rwe43fo1_500.jpg

9 people like this

Hm. Glitter never occurred to me...

b4c99782ab1bddcbadb79fb48836bfb5.jpg Several progressively lighter coats of red to pink to light pink later... (and fluorescent pink for the eyes!)

...and it's currently cementing to a base. It still NEEDS something... but I have to work in the morning, and Walking Dead is on soon... best not to force it.

16 people like this

Bubblegum dragons spew forth hot molasses.  It's considerably more horrifying the more you think about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

Witch Hunters love the pink beasts because they have a sweet tooth (actually, a lot of big sharp ones).  On a good day with fair winds they can sniff out a gingerbread house at 15 leagues.  Of course, they end up going through absurd amounts of henna to maintain professional credibility.  That and the incredible number of chocolate coins...

3 people like this

Perhaps his breath weapon is a bubble...

3 people like this

COTTON CANDY !!
4 people like this

Teased cotton balls dyed pink might be a means of modeling a cotton candy breath weapon.

Just saying.

It would be sticky. Also creatures would have to make repeated will saves to avoid stuffing their gobs with it once they were mired in it.

5 people like this

A Bubblegum Dragon spits gum on his enemy. 

This will harden in seconds and then said enemy is nothing more than another piece of gum.

Edited by Xherman1964
2 people like this

b4c99782ab1bddcbadb79fb48836bfb5.jpg

...and it's currently cementing to a base. It still NEEDS something...

Aquarium rocks for basing material? Bright colors. Goes with pink. Maybe red. Is there such a thing as red and grey -or- red and black aquarium rocks?

You could mix two colors, obviously, but I am sitting here wondering if they make split color rocks sort like Chessex Gemini dice (where each rock has flecks of two colors).

Thought of a breath weapon that would send both Sith Lords snd Barbarians packing:

Glitter Stream breath weapon... :devil:

Spoilers for evile...

5 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      Congratulations, by opening this forum post, you have received a quest!
      This quest is a challenge created by the combined forces of @Sirithiliel the Queen Tiamacrab, a Wizard Most Wild @Pezler the Polychromatic, and myself – @Cyradis the Questgiver.
      The challenge is this! Paint a small dragon, letting the dice control the colors!
      The Rules:
      Post in the WIP Forums “_Your Pseudonym_ is taking the random rainbow dragon challenge!” or “_Your Pseudonym_ has accepted the d20 rainbow dragon quest!” something to that extent.

Select a figure from one of the following: Stormwing (from Bones III), Kryphrixis (from Bones III), Deathsleet (77110), or Ebonwrath (77102).

You must select the dragon BEFORE rolling for colors. Take a photo with the figure and a clock as proof of order of operations.  
      Roll for colors! Use a d20 and a photo, or an online dice roller with a screenshot as proof of rolling. Or have a fellow forum dweller vouch for your rolls. Use the Color Chart below to determine what the color is that you rolled. There are three rolls. Below is an online dice roller. Most keyboards have a PRT SCRN button that can take a screenshot for you. Then you can paste the photo into Paint to save. I'm sure there are better methods, but that works for me. 

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

The first roll determines what your primary base color is. That must be the dominant color on the figure.

The second roll determines your secondary color. It should be the second color that catches the eye, and second most prevalent color on the figure.

The third roll determines your miscellaneous color. This should be most of the accent colors that you use, and third most prevalent color on the figure.

You might need to order paint or go to the FLGS after rolling if you don’t have a given bottle – we’ll be patient and wait for you. If you can’t get a bottle of one of these colors, here is a spreadsheet with equivalent colors from different brands. If you really can't get them, use the closest thing you got to your rolls (let us know what they are please). 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit#gid=5
        Number
      Reaper #
      Color Name
      Color Description
      Fire Red
      Bright red
      Clotted Red
      Dull red
      Lava Orange
      Volcanic orange
      Orange Brown
      Dull orange
      Lemon Yellow
      Bright yellow
      Brilliant green
      Bright green
      Olive Green
      Olive dull green
      True Blue
      Bright blue
      Heather Blue
      Dull light blue
      Imperial Purple
      Deep purple
      Violet Red
      A very misnamed color; somewhere between burgundy and magenta. Not violet.
      Blush Pink
      Very pink
      Earth Brown
      Generic brown
      Terran Khaki
      Light brown
      Mint Green
      Bright pastel green
      Cloudy Grey
      Generic grey
      Marine Teal
      Teal, blueish
      Palomino Gold
      Earthy gold yellow
      Pure Black
      Super black. Critical threat!
      Pure White
      Super white. Critical threat!

You are allowed to use whatever colors to shade and highlight that you want, as long as the rolled colors are obvious visually.* Example: you can shade a red dragon with purple, brown, or black, but it must always appear as a red dragon. A white dragon shaded with grey must appear as a white dragon, not a grey dragon.   
      You are allowed to use colors outside the ones that you rolled, but they must not take up more visual surface area than any of the others.** Example: your pink, green, and gray dragon is allowed to have bone-beige teeth.  
      The proportions of color on the figure can be however you want, as long as the 1st roll is dominant, 2nd is less, 3rd is less, and anything else smaller. Example: 70% pink, 15% green, 10% gray, and 5% anything else. Or it could be 50% pink, 25% green, 15% grey, and 10% anything else. The tidbit colors are fine wherever, as long as they are minor. 
        Paint your dragon according to the rolls plus your tidbits. Even if it is outrageous. The goal is to make the dragon look as awesome as possible without the benefit of planning color themes. You can add spots, stripes, eye-spots like moths have, or nothing. This is the base challenge. 
        Star 1* You may decide after your initial three rolls to limit your shading colors to your rolled colors mixed with pure black and white. You may still use tidbit colors. Declare this if you go for a Star 1 challenge!
        Star 2** You may decide after your initial three rolls to not use colors outside of your rolled ones and shading colors (so no tidbits like beige teeth, only 3 visual colors shaded however you want). Declare this if you go for a Star 2 challenge!
        Star 3*** You may decide to do both the Star 1 and Star 2 challenges, using absolutely nothing but your three rolled colors, plus black and white for shading. If you do this, you are allowed to use the white for areas like teeth and eyes that could be really weird otherwise (or not - up to you). Effectively, you have 5 colors to work with only, and three of them must be the majority (in decreasing order of prevalence). You gotta be nuts!
        There is no time limit on this. However, if the WIP photos stop showing up at a normal rate and there’s never a Show Off thread, the forum dwellers may gently poke fun at you for adding this to your Shelf of Shame.
        Post to the Show Off forums with a “_Your Pseudonym_ has completed the random rainbow dragon challenge!” sort of title upon completion. Brag about your awesome (or hilarious) dragon. Win all the internet-points. Receive experience and praise. Thus shall end the quest.
        Once the first Random Rainbow Dragon has been completed, we will start up a group Show Off thread to compile all of the dragons in a great flock of rainbowy goodness.   
      Current WIP List (started thanks to @Evilhalfling.) 

Little Bluberry
      Sylverthorne
      Glitterwolf
      Cyradis
      Corporea
      Sirithiliel
      Morihalda
      Evilhalfling
      Guindyloo
      Maledrakh
      Eldamir
      pcktInt
      Talae
      nakos
      Kate
      midshipmaneasy
      Paradoxical Mouse
      Darsc Zacal
      vegascat
      Cranky Dog
      Auberon
      robinh
      Ulfheathen
      Phoenix Rising
      NebulousMissy
    • By NebulousMissy
      This is the first true dragon I've ever tackled. Hordes minis don't count

I went with Deathsleet for his rearing pose and...

01: Fire Red
      09: Heather Blue
      20: Pure White

...... It's a 4th of July dragon!

No, no, bad Neb. Not painting a dragon covered in stars. Too weird. I can... wait... Eeeeeeheheheheheee...

I'll see how these paints mix when I get them. Because even with a 3-star challenge I can blend through purple.

And now the waiting begins...
    • By Cranky Dog
      So I've finally joined. Ebonwrath was the first dragon I managed to grab from my pile of Bones. Now assembled and brown line primed.

Here are the results, based on my modified list.

15: Alien Goo, main
      3: HD Fireball Orange, secondary
      17: Solid Blue, accent

So this is YOUR doing Pezler!

Guess I'll try for the 3* challenge. It'll feel like my early days of painting when I owned a very limited palette.
    • By Lidless Eye
      The next set out of Bones 3, various monsters!

The Carrion Worm really grew on me!

The Temple Dragon is really cool.  I hadn't even realized until I was inking it that the base was a statue of a robed woman:

The Manticore, who I was specifically hoping for before they announced it during the campaign.  It's a classic monster I didn't have a mini of!

Lastly, the Giant Cobra.  Kind of rushed this one along...he also appears to hide from the camera focus.

• By Auberon
      So it appears there is a contest going on with a long list of rulz. 

The roll:

But I own none of those paints.  In fact, I own none of the paints on the list, so it is substitution time!  Can you guess the brand?

So raise your hand if you guessed correctly.  If you did you win a cookie, provided by the contest organizers.  (highly likely their cookies are safe)  It is somewhat hard to tell from the swatch, but I think my paint is actually more intense than the Reaper red.  The ink might end up being a closer match.

Currently I'm thinking of doing the second challenge.  The only thing that might change my mind is if I really don't like a red eye, as it would be my only color option.
  • Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)