Morihalda

Snow Globe Questions, Ideas, Preparation!

Hey guys!

My excited ramble and snowglobe idea list:

To save you all the trouble of reading the full extent of my rambling thoughts, brain went: 12 days mini purchases -> Christmas -> snow -> ugh south Texas is too gross for snow -> fake snow? -> snowflakes? -> oh look cute mini snowman! -> I need to learn how to make snow bases! -> What if it was all snow? What about a snow GLOBE?

Thus, my idea was born and now my brain has kind of run off with it. I haven't had so many ideas in years.... I'm kind of afraid for my heart rate at the moment, I've been trying to restrain myself from zooming around like an 8 year old with a sugar high. :wacko:

My main snow globe idea -
Christmas Mouslings! - I could build up around the base of the globe after they are sealed inside with a nice hilly snow base. On the base itself, I could add some snow dusted brushes or stumps, some tracks leading up to where the mouslings are standing, maybe even a little bag and a thermos that probably has hot chocolate in it for when they are done with the snow man! A scarf that got thrown down in the excitement of snowman building....

Other ideas that just kind of kept poofing up -

• A ridiculous amount of Harry Potter ideas, once I learn how to sculpt
  • Fire dragon with some sort of powdered soot "snow" on a cracked lava base. Also I could totally add lights under a snowglobe for the lava.
  • Ice dragon surrounded by his Christmas present hoard
  • A horde of penguins all holding presents (my Penguin Present Pack)
  • Any themed snowglobe could also have different confetti! Like bats and ghosts and hearts and leaves...
  • Cthulhu or minions in the murky deep (probably use clear or barely tinted water though) with the tall seaweed plants on the base
  • All of the Christmas Sophies because.... It's Sophie. Yes.
  • Cute vampire chibi couple with bat confetti!

The Questions:

• Google says exposed pewter can corrode, I would think that properly primed, painted, and sealed minis would be safe, correct?
  • I would want the paint to be waterproof. Does anyone have any experience with waterproof sealers? Especially ones that aren't super shiny? Would it be better to put the Reaper sealer on, then the waterproof?
  • Material - I've found a seller for no-seam glass globes that are 4"/100mm diameter. Would it be safer to find a plastic globe, and then find some sort of scratch protectant?
  • Distraction - any animal-safe, waterproof sealers? Because oh my goodness fish aquariums. Cthulhu fish tank.

The Answers:

Materials and Painting:

Anne from Reaper - "...being immersed in water over a long period of time will often cause acrylic paint to come off of a model. I have seen this more with Bones, so if the models are metal it may not be an issue. ;) "

Globes:

Coca Cola Holiday Bottles - Haven't seen them yet, might be too big. Good for the 54mm+ minis? I love that they have caps! You could cut it open to a wider base and leave it waterless, or try to find a way to seal the pieces back together after putting the mini inside, and then pouring the liquid through the cap.

4cbHqKS.png

AquaBalls - Same pros and cons of Coke ones. Also has a slightly rounder shape and is easier to find.

hgZUKxP.png

Craft Store that only sells these during the holidays but-I-don't-want-to-get-batted-for-advertising! I'm really excited to find these - a flat base for decoration, and a screw on bottom that I can reinforce with glue!

tOjThJ7.jpg

Someone mentioned clear ornaments in the Randomness thread, I think... I was thinking of those ones that break in half, so I didn't like the thought of the seam down the middle. But maybe they were thinking of just plain old plastic ornaments! For a waterless globe, that would work really well - carefully cut off the top part and make it the bottom.

b5i7zjp.png

Floaties:

Themed confetti (ghosts, candy canes, hearts, etc), small plastic flakes, and apparently benzoic acid makes some really nice looking snow if you're up to the process!

How fast they sink is dependent upon the liquid.

Liquids:

So it turns out that most commercial snowglobes are filled with antifreeze or various types of glycerin!!! If one breaks, please keep your pets safe, they could try to drink it or even get burns from the liquid!  ::(:

Small amounts of other liquids are added to the distilled water to help the glitter/flakes/confetti/snow sink slower. Safe options include food-safe glycerin, mineral oil, baby oil, corn syrup, and low-suds soap detergent. Although a soap-bubbly globe might be cool for real underwater.... hmmmm...

I will test these some time after I move. As excited as I am, it will be a couple months. Other projects are waiting!

Thanks in advance! ::D:

Edit: I said I wasn't going to ramble and I did... :down:

Edited to fix my inability to type reasonably when excited. I will be adding more information as I find the time!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 10

Oooh, sounds like an awesome set of ideas! Sorry, I don't have any experience with any of those things.

I just wanted to say that would be the coolest thing ever!

• Like 1

Fire dragon with some sort of powdered soot "snow" on a cracked lava base. Also I could totally add lights under a snowglobe for the lava.

There's an oil you can buy that sinks in water (or maybe its another type of oil) they make into these shake-and-watch plastic containers and sell in the toy section up here at some dollar stores. Kinda like mini non-powered lava lamps. That would be neat for your idea, unique too.

Distraction - any animal-safe, waterproof sealers? Because oh my goodness fish aquariums. Cthulhu fish tank.

I have a friend into fish breeding and I asked him about miniatures (like the Kraken and Cthulhu) and if they would be safe in a fish take. He said it's best to have decorations with no pointy stuff because the fish rub against them and scratch themselves and tear scales out and its just bad for the fish in general. Something to think about.

I thought about a snow globe of Edna the crazy cat lady with extra cats for my sister who really really likes cats. I'll probably just buy a cheap snowglobe and bust it apart to use. So I'm curious as to how you will seal it and if it works well.

• Like 1

Great ideas, all of them!

I can only answer a couple of your questions, and probably not very well:

Pewter (if it has lead in it.  I believe there's a minimal amount in even the lead-free stuff, but it should be safe from the corrosion) or old lead minis will dissolve/corrode/oxidize, the culprit I've heard tell of being certain paper and wood products.  So if it's painted completely (bottom of the base too) and sealed well it shouldn't be a problem.

Anything called sealer, varnish, lacquer, or clear coat should be essentially perfectly waterproof.  I'm personally inclined to suggest Testor's Dullcote though--it's oil-based (hydrophobic) and highly regarded among miniature-painters.  But any spray-on sealer (I use Krylon usually.  Testor's fans have the louder voices though--I just haven't finished a mini since I bought my dullcote) should suffice.

I'd like to know your research results on the liquid and the falling snow.  Maybe stage snow would work--it's just wax flakes.  Might work if you chop it up a bit.  As for the liquid....mineral oil comes to mind.  Just make sure you don't use anything that can act as a thinner if you use oil sealer, or anything that contains alcohol if you use acrylic sealer.

• Like 1

If you use water make sure it's distilled water, tap water varies in it's composition from place to place and you probably don't want random minerals interacting with your artwork. 

It might be easiest to get the snow from another snow globe.  Some snow globes use an iridescent glitter instead, I know you can get that sort of thing from most DIY bath and body product suppliers and then it's waterproof/oil proof. 

• Like 1

Awesome, thank you for all of your ideas!

Aryanun mentioned YouTube - I'll check out what people have done to seal normal globes and what they put inside.

I'll also purchase a few different recommended products and test them with some scrap minis! Unfortunately a short term experiment of a couple months may not be enough to show all results, but it's worth a shot.

Another idea that I want to do when KS3 fulfills - that cute vampire chibi couple worth teeny bat confetti as the "snow!" :wub:

• Like 5

Awesome, thank you for all of your ideas!

Aryanun mentioned YouTube - I'll check out what people have done to seal normal globes and what they put inside.

I'll also purchase a few different recommended products and test them with some scrap minis! Unfortunately a short term experiment of a couple months may not be enough to show all results, but it's worth a shot.

Another idea that I want to do when KS3 fulfills - that cute vampire chibi couple worth teeny bat confetti as the "snow!" :wub:

When in Arizona I bought a sandglobe with miniature rattlesnakes in it.

Because it is a dry county, they just put sand in the globe without any water.

So there is always a way out if water is a problem.

• Like 4

A couple years ago, my daughter got some "do it yourself" snow globes craft, with plaster castings of fairies to paint. (And you can imagine that plaster doesn't go well underwater).
The snow globe itslef had a double wall of plastic, where you put the water and the glitter. (just imagine a bigger globe encasing the smaller one).

So basically, the mini would be dry in the smaller globe, but you'd have the illusion that it is in water + snow due to the water encased between the 2 layers.

(I hope it kinda makes sense).

Anyways, I though it was quite smart to avoid any issue with submerging your artwork while still having the snow globe effect,

• Like 7

Re: your aquarium idea - read this thread for a discussion on a similar idea: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/58363-is-bones-safe-for-a-fishtank/?hl=aquarium

Also, the DIY snow globe kit that Skrill mentioned can easily be found by googling "glitter fairy snow globe kit" Mind you, it has terrible reviews, although that seems to mostly be about the plaster molds that come with the kit, which you obviously wouldn't be using. I don't think it's a bad idea to look into it as an option.

It is also totally valid to do a snow globe look without any water whatsoever. One of the fancy expensive home décor stores made it a popular pinterest idea to take the dry approach. Of course it wouldn't be the same effect that you're going for. Although I could see myself suspending tiny bats from fishing line inside of a dry glass snow globe to achieve a particular look.

• Like 3

Edit: I said I wasn't going to ramble and I did... :down:

That's OK, it was a nice ramble. ::):

• Like 1

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, Skrill! I'm not sure I would like the double layer look, and I'd have to be super careful how I arranged the minis to fit inside.

Xherman, your mention of waterless globes sent me on another google adventure... Down the terrifyingly glittery path of pinterest and craft sites...  :rolleyes:

Re: your aquarium idea - read this thread for a discussion on a similar idea: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/58363-is-bones-safe-for-a-fishtank/?hl=aquarium

Also, the DIY snow globe kit that Skrill mentioned can easily be found by googling "glitter fairy snow globe kit" Mind you, it has terrible reviews, although that seems to mostly be about the plaster molds that come with the kit, which you obviously wouldn't be using. I don't think it's a bad idea to look into it as an option.

It is also totally valid to do a snow globe look without any water whatsoever. One of the fancy expensive home décor stores made it a popular pinterest idea to take the dry approach. Of course it wouldn't be the same effect that you're going for. Although I could see myself suspending tiny bats from fishing line inside of a dry glass snow globe to achieve a particular look.

Haha, leave it to the Reaper forums for a question about fish safety to turn into just eating the fish instead! :lol: I don't even have fish, but I thought a Lovecraft tank would be pretty awesome.

I was just looking up waterless globes!

3127300004_18bbe7cf57.jpg

Guys, this is EDIBLE. This chick made an edible cupcake snowglobe. How brilliant is that?? The snowglobe is one of the those round baby Coke bottles!

3127295914_86007889a5.jpg

I do think that a waterless globe with a plastic container like that would work best! I'd want to add a bit of snowy decoration at the top of the globe/bottom of the bottle, because I don't like that dip.

This also means I don't have to do a million science projects to figure out the best ratio of water to glycerin/oil, which sealers are best, which epoxies are best, etc.... And more time spent painting! ::D:

After we move in a couple weeks, I will continue to use this thread to post my snow globe testing results!

• Like 6

At a local con I saw someone selling diorama/terrarium hybrid things in glass globes.  Might be a better way to get the globe part.  Plus this time of year craft stores sell clear ball ornaments to decorate yourself. You might want to check a shop out and scout out options.  ^_^

• Like 2

At a local con I saw someone selling diorama/terrarium hybrid things in glass globes.  Might be a better way to get the globe part.  Plus this time of year craft stores sell clear ball ornaments to decorate yourself. You might want to check a shop out and scout out options.  ^_^

I'll see if I can find those "hybrid things" and check those out! :lol: I didn't really care for the ornaments that I saw because they had a big ugly seam all the way around.

• Like 1

I've been doing some more research and I went ahead and updated the first post with what I've gotten so far! See the new answers sections. ^_^

LittleBluberry - I haven't found anything like that yet, but that search did lead to some cool looking open air globes. They were called "Hanging Globe Glass Terrarium Air Plant Candle Holder." Not ideal for snowglobes of course, but I think it would be amazing for a little fae to hide in, with overgrown plants inside. Kind of like those broken pot houses!

PSWGHCH0105-2T.jpg?1422396414

• Like 3

I have been playing with this idea for a while too, but still plenty of other things to create first.

There are plenty of stores who sell kits to make snowglobes. Snowdomes.com or ebay has plenty to offer in that department.

Or if you want to make something really special you could try building your own globe in any shape you want. For that there is this really cool material called worbla or TranspArt http://www.worbla.com/?page_id=4013

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

• Like 4