Recently caught this on TV, the Slow Mo Guys filmed a home made fire tornado in 4K. It's quite hypnotic.

Seeing a few of the screen captures going around, in my mind it became *the* flame reference for so many subjects.
Fire-Tornado-close.png

Screen-Shot-2015-11-24-at-2.05.17-PM.png

It also made me realize something that's been bugging me about the clear plastic fire elementals. They should be a far lighter orange, near yellow even instead of that dark reddish orange.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 15

Good example of why I dislike the idea that flames should always be painted yellow to red (or even to black), it over-simplifies an exceedingly complex and highly subjective subject. I spend a lot of time watching the flames in my woodstove :) My efreet didn't turn out very good, but it was based on lots of observation and study of the subject.

And for the love of Pete, don't paint them French's yellow mustard to ketchup. Saffron Sunset is almost your highlight, a reddish yellow. Stick to yellowish reds ("oranges") and then straight into reddish browns.

• Like 4

This is why I almost always paint magic blue flames. Or necrotic green flames. "A wizard did it." Done, and done.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lazarp
      I made these out of cotton wool and watered down white glue 
      Hope you like them as much as I do! 

next to a wizards of the coast water elemental:

next to Reaper 77280: Lich:

• By wickedshifty
      Happy with how this came out! 

• By quidamcorvus
      Ezren, Iconic Male Human Wizard from Reaper Miniatures.
      More on my BLOG.

• By jonaas33
      Finally got around to painting this awesome fig today.  I was torn between painting it like a lava monster or a blue/green chameleon.  I am running an adventure next weekend that takes place deep inside a mountain, so I decided on the lava lizard style so I have a little something extra to throw at the party if they are having too easy of a time.  I am definitely going to snag another one of these to paint with bright greens and blues at some point though.  I think I will also go over the feathers on the head along with the arm hair later this week to brighten them up a little.  I wanted those parts to be the biggest feature, so I want them to look blazing hot.  Critiques and advice are always welcome, thank you in advance!

• By GodOfCheese
      I was playing around with ways to build a translucent base for her when I thought, "hey, where would a Fire Mephit spend the Fourth of July?  Why, at the beach, of course!"

(although not risqué, the model is partially nude, so there are only a few poses and viewing angles that I considered safe under the board's rules.  Other poses are visible at https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlVvpBv_HhuMzKVA9TEd-D0c1rTOSg)

• Who's Online   21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 189 Guests (See full list)