Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Mori's Holiday Gifts

Lots of critique appreciated! I'd like to get to painting/sculpting display quality one day!
I do understand that the blurry photos with a bright as heck light are hard to critique - I'll get better.

Leave it to my excitable brain to convince me that I should paint minis as gifts before I've even finished painting my first goblin! :lol: The gifts are for my three dearest friends and my husband's D&D group.

I would like to have the first 3 done by New Year's, when we meet up again! They'll be really surprised!
The guys know that they are getting a painted mini for their gifts, so I've got til Jan/Feb to complete in time for the campaign start.

The Gifts:
  • 77016: Rats - Angel Ratties - This friend lost her two furbabies this summer, so I thought I'd make a tribute for her. This was the beginning of the slippery slope... Now I'm at 6 gifts!
  • 02982: Casiatta - Battlemage Babe of House Slytherin - I swear this is my friend in miniature form! She's so fierce! :wub:
  • 02910: Cheetah Girl - Khajiit Marksman - This friend introduced me to Morrowind, and by extension, introduced me to real video games and fantasy worlds outside of books. Morrowind will always be in our hearts!
  • 03445: Drunk Pirate - For their drunken (edit: should be pirate, but drunken works too...) campaign. He'll actually be DM'ing, but I know he'll get a good laugh out of this one, and he'll enjoy still having a mini.
  • 03131: Eric Swiftblade - A good swashbuckler mini for the campaign.
  • 03646: Barnabus Frost - My better half's pirate mini!

The Progress:

Rats: Completed!

WIP:

I filled in the cobblestone and made little impressions in it so it was more like their bedding. I also added wings to two of them! I should have read some sculpting tutorials beforehand, I think that would have helped my frustrations. I couldn't seem to sculpt detail on something freestanding like that, compared to gap filling, so they are just smooth... wing-things...

h8tuiCm.jpg?1

Painting progress! I just need to add some shadows and figure out where the rest of the brown goes on the sitting up rat. Her FB photos don't really show the back ends. ::P:

Also yes, yes that is a candy corn rat.... Halloween is her favorite holiday to celebrate! I couldn't think of what to do with the third rat so that's what it turned into. I need to work on that spiderweb though.  :zombie:

pNwMkvG.jpg

Completed:

Here they are inside their new cozy home! They'll be in a gift box without a top coat when she gets them. Then I can make sure their markings are correct. ::):

Bqf7Hzp.jpg

LK9f6LX.jpg

Slytherin Battlemage:

WIP before this post:

I've had this idea for a few months, but I wasn't sure on the execution, or if I could do what I saw in my head properly. And then! DonTheDime did a Thing (we can talk about it Soon) and I learned from his pictures! So I happily sculpted on a snake. Again, I wish I had looked at some examples first, especially TaleSpinner's two-headed snake. Those scales, man.... And I see that my snake eye is too far back as well, now....

But then I decided that no wizard was complete without a cape, so then a cape appeared... I smushed the inside part of the cape with my fingers a lot so my fingerprints would help it get that crinkled velvet look. I had to make this weird crutch out of folded newspaper bits so the cape would flow the right way when curing.

I really should have added the cape after I painted, but I was just really excited. Now I'm going to have painting troubles... The cape also got stuck to her behind when it was drying, so it's indented there instead of flowing out. I don't think it's too noticeable... :unsure:

Question: Does GreenStuff really.... stick? I left all the edges around the snake because I was afraid it would fall off without a wider surface area to adhere to the mini.

KegwRcU.jpg

Added some quick liner to see the details (that really is helpful, wow!!) and started laying down some green.

bvCMxj2.jpg

Another shot of cape, because I'm durn proud of that wiggly cape! :lol:

j20yyjU.jpg

Khajiit:

To be ordered this weekend!

In progress!

Finished! ::D:

My black cardstock was MUCH better for taking photos... My light is so bright that it makes the colors look fine in real life, but faded in photos.

Khajiit is finished! I spent another 2 hours on her. There are a lot of things I would want to fix, all of the leather and gloves need shading, but these were supposed to be quick, basic learning minis and instead I'm trying to learn everything at once.  :lol:

I'm much happier with the green tunic though. The last color was way too blue!

dLeYM1Z.jpg

My favorite parts were the face and the tail. Those parts took me the longest, but it was worth it to me.  ^_^

sLWliF7.jpg

Drunken Pirate:

Primed!

Eric Swiftblade:

Primed!

Barnabus Frost:

Primed!

Thanks for checking it out! ^_^

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 22

Off to a wonderful start on these, lots to do!

Re: Green stuff - yes, it sticks pretty nicely, you didn't have to leave behind that extra thin layer around it. If it fell off for some reason, you could easily re-attach with some super glue and it wouldn't fall off.

• Like 3

Everything looks like it's coming along super!

I love the candy corn rats; what a neat idea!

Also, very impressed with your sculpted snake and the folds in the cape.

• Like 1

great sculpting!  With that wide a surface for the snake I'd expect him to stick fine without the extra.

• Like 1

You're off to a great start; keep up the good work!

The GS shield device and are looking very good, keep practicing with it, and you'll be doing all sorts of really cool things in no time!

• Like 1

Aww, thanks guys! ^_^ I've completed the little rats a couple days ago and put them in the original post. This weekend I'll be removing Cassiata's face painted mess and trying again! The pirates and khajiit have been ordered too.

• Like 4

UGH. So after I messed her face up twice, I went out and bought a teeny brush and some Simple Green. I also used that eyes tutorial on Reaper's /TheCraft, which helped a bunch because I was trying to do the black, and then the white. So with some choice words, spiked eggnog, and stubborn determination, I have this now.

dxQ8iXT.jpg

How. How do you guys make all these tiny beautiful faces?! She's all flaky because of the paint that didn't come off underneath, and probably my paint skills too.... :zombie: I guess it doesn't help that I picked such a light skin color, but it was necessary. Nightshade Purple is fantastic though - I used that for her eyes, and then Imperial and Amythest for the lips.

I need a real brush, this one is already splitting... :down:

• Like 11

One of the tricks I've learned about using paints designated for skin colors was adding sealer as a mixing agent to thin and support the paint. Works with thinning and strengthening yellow as well.

• Like 3

Two things:

First off, congratulations for sticking with it! Also, kudos for trying to do her eyes at all; I'm still scared to do eyes. (That may be why you don't see me doing a whole lot of figures where they're visible.)

Second: I think she's looking pretty good. Remember, you're looking at a picture that's been blown up a bajillion times; every single little flaw is going to be glaringly obvious and look horrible. Viewed with just the naked eye, a lot of those imperfections aren't noticeable. Also, if I remember correctly, this is a gift, right? Does the recipient paint figures or do any other type of art? If not, they'll probably be awed at the amount of detail along with the fact that you did the painting yourself.

• Like 2

One of the tricks I've learned about using paints designated for skin colors was adding sealer as a mixing agent to thin and support the paint. Works with thinning and strengthening yellow as well.

Thanks, I'll try that out on the pirates! This mini needed a really light skin tone - a lot of her characters are super pale, with that white-blonde hair. I'm going to need to find a way to separate those colors better. Tanned Skin was really nice for shading the dark parts of the hair, but it also made it blend into the skin. x_x

Two things:

First off, congratulations for sticking with it! Also, kudos for trying to do her eyes at all; I'm still scared to do eyes. (That may be why you don't see me doing a whole lot of figures where they're visible.)

Second: I think she's looking pretty good. Remember, you're looking at a picture that's been blown up a bajillion times; every single little flaw is going to be glaringly obvious and look horrible. Viewed with just the naked eye, a lot of those imperfections aren't noticeable. Also, if I remember correctly, this is a gift, right? Does the recipient paint figures or do any other type of art? If not, they'll probably be awed at the amount of detail along with the fact that you did the painting yourself.

Thanks, wolf. ::): Yeah, I was so excited and dancing around the house showing the Mr. - "Look! Look at the face! I even did that cat eye makeup with purple lipstick. I'm gonna go take a photo and post it!!" 

And then I took the photo and was like.... "This is not the same mini I'm holding, no way.... :zombie: "

She only does cosplay art, so no drawn art or anything like that. So I think she'll still enjoy it. ^_^

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 3

What they all said.  Pale flesh paint is SUPER CLUMPY, and I've tried multiple different kinds.  It must be the pigment, because it was even clumpy in enamel paints I used way back when.  Adding Reaper's sealer helps a lot, minimizing the number of coats also helps.  Not stripping the mini first will probably also help, so next time will be easier.  ^_^

Also, when I was painting the Bones version of Autumn Bronzeleaf, the actual mini had a lumpy face.  I managed to smooth it out a bit by putting a layer of just plain sealer between each layer of paint on the lumpy areas. 

You did AMAZING eyes, and you should be proud of them! 

• Like 3

What they all said.  Pale flesh paint is SUPER CLUMPY, and I've tried multiple different kinds.  It must be the pigment, because it was even clumpy in enamel paints I used way back when.  Adding Reaper's sealer helps a lot, minimizing the number of coats also helps.  Not stripping the mini first will probably also help, so next time will be easier.  ^_^

Also, when I was painting the Bones version of Autumn Bronzeleaf, the actual mini had a lumpy face.  I managed to smooth it out a bit by putting a layer of just plain sealer between each layer of paint on the lumpy areas. 

You did AMAZING eyes, and you should be proud of them! 

Yes! She is my favorite mini, but I haven't painted her yet because she looked like she got injured. :down: I took pictures and wanted to ask about it on the forums, but I forgot. I guess I'll pick up the metal version of her. And thank you ::):

• Like 4

She is LOVELY! Don't let the faults the camera picked up bother you; re, anything blown up that large will have otherwise unseen imperfections; AND Cameras are EVIL creatures.

• Like 5