Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arutema

Fun with sewing pins

14 posts in this topic

I may be taking "pinning" things too literally, but I've found sewing pins are so nice to use with bones. Their tips dig into the plastic easily if you run them under some hot water, and with a little glue, they stay there. They're also east to clip down, and easy to get in bulk.

As a bonus, their heads make ready-made heads for 28mm scale staves:

post-11679-0-05986800-1449742214_thumb.jpeg

Does anyone else use sewing pins for their conversion work?

post-11679-0-22030300-1449742213_thumb.jpegpost-11679-0-28250700-1449742215_thumb.jpeg

13 people like this

I mostly use paperclips for pinning.

Needles might be a good alternative.

1 person likes this

COOL STUFF! The round heads on the pins have all sorts of possibilities. I use paper clips, brads, jewelry head pins, eye pins, jump rings, all sorts of bead, & such. A stroll through a craft or hardware store with a open min & your imagination in gear can be a most productive trip.

5 people like this

I tend to use them quite a bit when I do work with miniatures. Gonna be using them allot when I work on Verocitherax. ::D:

2 people like this

I'm wondering what the plan is for the shield with the pin sticking out....

4 people like this

I've been using them to paint teeny things (need to buy better brushes, heh), but I never thought to use them as part of one. I love that staff!

I tend to use them quite a bit when I do work with miniatures. Gonna be using them allot when I work on Verocitherax. ::D:

He looks like such an intimidating figure!!  :blink: I would follow a WIP of that!

1 person likes this

Clipped down I can see that one as a arrow sticking out of it.

6 people like this

Clipped down I can see that one as a arrow sticking out of it.

That's.... that's ingenious. Holy moly! 

1 person likes this

I haven't used any sewing pins in the manner you are (yet), but I have used those pins that you always miss one of in a new shirt for a few different things.

examples:

the flat heads work pretty well as studs on GW space marines

the stabby ends work nicely as spikes.

the stabby ends also work nicely as rapiers for 28mm duelists.

4 people like this

Not an arrow in her shield, but trying to decorate it with one of the rose medallions taken from the bones sarcophagus.

Trying, it refuses to sit flush, going to have to do a bunch of fill-in with greenstuff I think. A blade looted from a goblin completes her gear.

post-11679-0-49605400-1449818626_thumb.jpegpost-11679-0-18945200-1449818627_thumb.jpegpost-11679-0-64254400-1449818627_thumb.jpeg

Pins in the dwarf's feet are clipped and stuck into fresh greenstuff filling some holes on the base.

post-11679-0-42388600-1449818628_thumb.jpeg

There's another sewing pin in her arm that I didn't get a photo of, the glove below the wrist and gun are taken from another bones mini and held on with one.

5 people like this

Nice job on those conversions!

I use them all the time I like to cut the ball on the end in half and use it as a center piece on shields

2 people like this

I use the same type of pins as His Frogness and CW. They are great for pinning when a paper clip is to big. They also make good bow machine gun barrels on 15mm tanks for another game...

I also use them when I am painting small familiar size familiars, as I will drill a hole in the bottom and insert the pin. The flat part of the pin then goes into a mound of blue tac when I am not actively painting.

George

1 person likes this