knarthex

Testors Aztek Airbrush Paints

I have seen folks talking about Badger airbrush primer, and speaking highly of it, but the local Michael's doesn't have Badger paints....

I saw that they had a 2 oz bottle of Testor's Aztek Clear Matte, picked it up for about $5... The bottle has an agitator in it!!! Can hear it rattling around when I shake it...

Has anyone used this stuff?

Either as an airbrush sealer, Brush on sealer, or as a matte medium?

Seems to be my night for asking this type of question....

Thanks

George

Not sure.  I did see that Amazon is running a special on the Badger Miniature Air Paints.  I know last year when they went on sale, a bunch of Forumites were looking to buy in.  At the risk of derailing, anyone have an opinion?

Not sure.  I did see that Amazon is running a special on the Badger Miniature Air Paints.  I know last year when they went on sale, a bunch of Forumites were looking to buy in.  At the risk of derailing, anyone have an opinion?

Not Derailing Dilvish, we all need all the info!

Will likely test it out myself, at least as a sealer. Hopefully it will work like DullCoate....

George

• Like 1

Just don't test it on anything you've worked hard on.

Get a piece of sprue, slap a few colors on it and try it on that first.

edit-typo

Edited by Chaoswolf

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By paedia
      [Warning: lots of images incoming]

Next up on my table are the miniatures from Cerebria: The Inside World, a boardgame from Mindclash Games in which the forces of Bliss and Gloom vie for control of an evolving personality.

I'm going to try to do these two at a time (one from each team); the first two will be Harmony and Malice.

Session 1 - prime + zenithal highlight

Harmony

Malice

Session 2

Harmony
      With the airbrush, I did base+shading of the wings and base of the body. Colors used:
      - Twilight Blue
      - Snow Shadow
      - Surf Aqua
      - Violet Light
      - Sunset Purple
      - Maggot White

Malice
      For malice, I'm starting with the NMM-bronze-ish body. I base coated with Khaki Shadow, then used Ghoul Skin and Moldy Skin for initial highlighting. Shadows are Woodstain Brown and NMM Gold Shadow (which I am not that fond of for Gold, but seems to work well here). Any other color recommendations? I finished up the session with basing the skirt in Redstone.

• By kristof65
      So my lovely bride got me an airbrush setup for Christmas, and I played with it for the first time last night. Over all, it worked out ok, but left me with some questions that the Airbrushing: The Compendium thread didn't answer:

1. I "prime" my Bones with Brown Liner.   When I tested on some Orcs last night, this seemed to work pretty decently.  But given the hydrophobic nature of Bones, I didn't thin the Brown liner at all at first, then started adding a bit of water. It definitely seemed to help with the spraying as I thinned it, but I was worried about it beading up. So how do you deal with that on the first layer on Bones minis? 

2. how do you guys tack down your smaller Bones minis to prime with an airbrush? I found that that the pressure (around 18-20psi) was blowing the orcs all over the place, which led me to having to prime them individually, which defeated the purpose of being able to do a bunch at once. 

3. I got a sample bottle of the Stylenz primer at ReaperCon - I tried it on some CAVs, but it just beaded up.  Was that an issue with me and the airbrush, or just an issue with Stylenz and Bones? 
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      As my first airbrush attempt on the Roman centurio was halted by the fact that the figure is so small, I decided to use a different figure, which would be ... bigger.

So in Japan I got me a number of garage kits. One of them was a figure of a nun or mage (I don't know the figure, so I have no idea) and as it was some kind of a miscast or so, I got it for the cheap price of around 6 Euro.

She's big enough to do some airbrush work. And as I want to train airbrushing, I don't want to ruin my first attempt by choosing wrong colours or too difficult painting concepts.

Therefore: YOU CAN CHOOSE THE COLOURS!

NO! I really mean it! Gimme some colours, people.

Oh, yeah - That's the figure:

• By ThirstyBob
      So today when I started airbrushing, I noticed that after I sprayed a bit the pressure on the tank was dropping, which made it difficult to get an even coverage. I'd start at around 15psi, and it would hold for a couple seconds, then drop steadily until it was down at 5psi. Turning up the pressure did not help, it still dropped psi. I took out the needle and checked and cleaned it and the rest of the ab, then tried just shooting air through, without needle or anything but the nozzle lever. Same result. Seals are airtight at least until I start shooting air through. I have a Paasche TG-3F, bought it with the compressor in a package deal, compressor has a humidity filter on it.

EDIT: Just noticed that while air is going through the airbrush, adjusting the pressure does nothing at all. I can turn it up or down and it stays at 5psi. Unless I reduce the pressure below 5psi, then it goes down. Adjusting the pressure when I release the airbrush changes psi normally.
    • By ThirstyBob
      Finished Cthulhu on Saturday, I think I'm learning to overcome my fear of highlighting too far, I still didn't go as light as people said I should. Some say you can go practically to white, but I am very hesitant to try that. I think I've made progress though. C&C welcome!

Soft Lighting---

Harsh Lighting, to show detail----

And WIP thread if anyone is interested...

• Who's Online   13 Members, 2 Anonymous, 112 Guests (See full list)