TaleSpinner

Trogs WIP

74 posts in this topic

I look forward to seeing what you draw.  I'm intrigued.

Hopefully i don't disappoint =P

2 people like this

Also, looking at the photos, it appears that you only have the tail as a point of contact with the future Base. I am guessing then that the armature was built that way. Would that be the plan on completion, or would you also have the feet in contact with the base?

Not sure how much 'foot' you intend to sculpt there...

Thanks

George

1 person likes this

Correct, only the tail will be in contact with the rock base (which will be a separate piece.  I want it to look like it is leaping off of a rocky ledge, attacking.

3 people like this

*adds "Talespinner's Trogs" to Minis We'd Like to See* ^_^

1 person likes this

I have to admit, I find the right arm of the non-leaping one a little odd. I think it's that I don't expect its arm to rotate that far. That aside, I love the concept and the poses, especially the leaper. They both look like they're in motion but the leaper looks like you captured a particularly nightmarish frog mid-leap. ::D: 

2 people like this

For what it is worth, I would encourage you to not add eyes.  The one without eyes right now looks more menacing in part because of it.  As a cave dweller, develop this as an eyeless predator.  Maybe even with lamprey characteristics - hero sticks their arm into the wall that is actually the trog's mouth.  The small trogs are actually a larval state or something like that.  

Plenty of cool possibilities and I really like your sculpts so far as always. 

3 people like this

who let the trogs out? oof ooof...okay i'll stop 

Trogs_zpsybzcmi67.jpg

9 people like this

I have to admit, I find the right arm of the non-leaping one a little odd. I think it's that I don't expect its arm to rotate that far. That aside, I love the concept and the poses, especially the leaper. They both look like they're in motion but the leaper looks like you captured a particularly nightmarish frog mid-leap. ::D:

I see what you mean here.

Maybe if the arms were spread more like the 'leaper's' it would look more "Natural?"

George

2 people like this

who let the trogs out? oof ooof...okay i'll stop 

Trogs_zpsybzcmi67.jpg

OK, that is just many different flavors of cool smothered in awesome sauce.  Siri, you are the best! Now, I might have to make a Trog pile as well...hmm. Can I steal from your armor scheme? I like the way you did the thigh fold better than my concept.

Maybe if the arms were spread more like the 'leaper's' it would look more "Natural?"

George

Very good point.  That would explain why I was struggling with the deltoid so much.  I put it in like that to try and avoid a multi-part mini, but I think I'll have to reconsider.

6 people like this

Sure no problem!

And yay Trog pile!

Edited by Sirithiliel
5 people like this

Okay, having seen Siri's picture, I now change my impression from "landshark" to landpiranhas" ...  :blink:

5 people like this

Very cool.

They immediately tickled my old computer gamer bone. They are reminiscent of the Troglodyte from Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Troglodyte_(H3)

Was that part of your inspiration?

I liked that very toothy half lizard folk-half land shark vibe then, and I still like it.

Very cool.

They immediately tickled my old computer gamer bone. They are reminiscent of the Troglodyte from Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Troglodyte_(H3)

Was that part of your inspiration?

I liked that very toothy half lizard folk-half land shark vibe then, and I still like it.

It is possible now that I think about it.  I played a lot on Might and Magic VI and VII many years ago.  My brain has a way of dredging up things I like without me realizing it directly.

2 people like this

George

I cut up and reposed the Trog's arm.  Is this better?

post-140-0-25316300-1450370557.jpg 

post-140-0-80647500-1450370557_thumb.jpg

Obviously, I still have to re-sculpt the muscles of the arm and finger.

6 people like this