TaleSpinner

Trogs WIP

What do you mean, you couldn't find a home for them?

I'd love a couple of these!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

What do you mean, you couldn't find a home for them?

I'd love a couple of these!!!

A home, as in a company to produce them.  Most companies don't like taking on weird things that don't correlate to a creature in some game somewhere.  I'm weird enough that I often create my own creatures in my PF games.  It is one thing for 20 people on these forums to like them; it is a whole other thing for several thousand others to like something enough to justify manufacture.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

A home, as in a company to produce them.  Most companies don't like taking on weird things that don't correlate to a creature in some game somewhere.  I'm weird enough that I often create my own creatures in my PF games.  It is one thing for 20 people on these forums to like them; it is a whole other thing for several thousand others to like something enough to justify manufacture.

That makes sense of course.

Still one would think that they would be useful in any Underdark setting or something similar.

They also remind me a bit of the Troglodytes form Heroes Of Might And Magic IV.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

They also remind me a bit of the Troglodytes form Heroes Of Might And Magic IV.

Really, I can't imagine why.  :ph34r: 

(I may have been a Might and Magic 5-10 player and might have been a bit influenced.)

• Like 5

I loved HMOM, still do, but I have series 1 to 5.

Stopped buying and playing the new ones, when the Uplay Abomination was mandatory, never could get it to work.

Their Customer service wasn't helpful either, so I never bought anything from Ubisoft again.

Enough games out there that DO work without a hassle.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I loved HMOM, still do, but I have series 1 to 5.

Stopped buying and playing the new ones, when the Uplay Abomination was mandatory, never could get it to work.

Their Customer service wasn't helpful either, so I never bought anything from Ubisoft again.

Enough games out there that DO work without a hassle.

I never actually played Heroes, just the straight up MoM.  I started with III back in 1989. Then picked it up later in the late 90's with 5, 6, and 7.  6 and 7 were the best versions by far.  8 and 9 weren't worth playing. I recently got X, but it tried to be too modern, though it wasn't bad.  Might and Magic 6 had the troglodytes in it.  They always stuck in my head as a cool concept.

• Like 2

Don't throw away the molds.

Maybe an opportunity will come up in the future.

Bones V ???

• Like 1

Just now, Glitterwolf said:

Don't throw away the molds.

Maybe an opportunity will come up in the future.

Bones V ???

Ron already reviewed them for Bones (I finished sculpting them at ReaperCon last year).  They aren't sculpted right to stand up well in Bones.  I really designed them for metal.  Nothing will be thrown away. I will actually be casting many copies of them in the coming years.  I have plans for them to be featured in a diorama at a future ReaperCon (probably 2019 or 2020, depending on when Bones IV fullfills and my time).

• Like 3

I reworked the wax tree so they are all 1 cm apart.  That should fix the cracking issues. I'm doing 4 copies of Hugs and one of Smilely.  I expect to be able to do the investment, burnout, and casting on Thursday since I am working from home and can be here to let the kiln do its thing in the basement.  I don't like letting it run when I'm not here or not awake.

IMG_2570.JPG.7a0e5d43b0abedbc542a1a5f0b45b217.JPG

• Like 8

Casting happened.  I had one crack, but the flash is easily removed with a knife.  They came out really nice.  The teeth on a couple of them need fixing, but that is easy to do.

8.jpg.b10c39a9b6dfd8356c8c5697e53416e7.jpg 9.jpg.ef50c1396e447a8977fbd4a49416e0e7.jpg

10.jpg.5f6afb1f6500b4c36e0f26668cfd138c.jpg 11.jpg.ce498b3db6e4c50171459e57ebc1ffaf.jpg

12.jpg.8d12306e7674a24b8ccc1cdfa5d6c26c.jpg

• Like 13

21 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Casting happened.  I had one crack, but the flash is easily removed with a knife.  They came out really nice.  The teeth on a couple of them need fixing, but that is easy to do.

8.jpg.b10c39a9b6dfd8356c8c5697e53416e7.jpg 9.jpg.ef50c1396e447a8977fbd4a49416e0e7.jpg

The trees look like they could be made into something elfin scary as is......

• Like 5

Sweeeeeeet!  Also creepy.  In a good way! 

Great castings TS.  Thanks for showing the trees etc., too.  Was the multi-part design of these critters necessary for your lost wax casting setup?  Guessing not, and that maybe you cut them up like that because you wanted them to be ready for spin-casting one day if the opportunity arises.  But I am no lost wax expert, just a casting hobbyist and always eager to learn about different techniques...

Was that you I saw mentioned in DSM's October newsletter as well?  If so, congrats on that! 

Kang

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kang said:

Sweeeeeeet!  Also creepy.  In a good way! 

Great castings TS.  Thanks for showing the trees etc., too.  Was the multi-part design of these critters necessary for your lost wax casting setup?  Guessing not, and that maybe you cut them up like that because you wanted them to be ready for spin-casting one day if the opportunity arises.  But I am no lost wax expert, just a casting hobbyist and always eager to learn about different techniques...

Was that you I saw mentioned in DSM's October newsletter as well?  If so, congrats on that! 

Kang

If I had sculpted them from wax, then no, I would not have had to cut them up.  But I didn't, so I had to mold them first, so I chopped the arms off to make the molds easier to do. If I were better at mold making, I might have been able to mold them (at least Hugs) without chopping the arms off, but I am new to this, so I took the easy way out.

Yes, that was me in the DSM release; thank you! That was the Shiloh Shepard I did for them.  I've been working for them now since last spring, but that is the first piece to be released. :B):

• Like 4