Sign in to follow this  
Guildenstern

Guildy's Swamp Terrain pics (and maybe other stuffs)

SPLENDID STUFF! I'm rather fond of Swamps & Graveyards myself. The bridge over the pond is a particularly BEAUTIFUL creation.  OUTSTANDING WORK all around!

• Like 3

Great work.  I like the toppled things in the ruins, the placement and spacing of the swamp (looks like a great diorama as it is, whereas the others seem like set pieces), and the knots (and the awakened) on the mausoleum.  I'd love to see a side shot of the mausoleum.

And, what are you using for the basing?  Is that the MDF/masonite/particle board stuff?

• Like 1

That's some fantastic terrain/scenery you've got there, very nicely done! I'm looking forward t seeing your next pieces.

• Like 1

I was so confused at first because at first glance, I thought your title said "Guindy's Swamp Terrain" and all I could think was "I didn't make any swamp terrain...did someone make swamp terrain for me?  :huh: " (I just woke up, forgive my tired brain.)

Now that I have seen the pictures, I wish you had made it all for me because it's all absolutely gorgeous!  :wub:

• Like 4

Ah ha, found the spoiler tags! That should help with overly large pics!

Anyway, since I have terrain and model ADHD, I'm working on this piece first. It's intended to be for Frostgrave, and I'm doing it for the MWGing sites monthly terrain competition as well. The theme is Dead of Winter this go around.

DeadOfWinter.jpg

^^ this is my outline (note - I do not claim to be an artist, this just helps me plan ;))

blocks1.jpg

^^ semi-unexciting my very first hirst arts blocks casting, I figure I need two maybe three more, to get the bits I want for the walls.

While I like using pink foam for this sort of thing - and it does make it very light weight - I've gotten a bit tired of carving blocks into them so I had bought these molds some time ago and am only just now putting them to use.

This is a bit of a trial run, as already I have an entire board in mind for Frostgrave -  the Library in ruins. But, that will have to take a back burner to the hordes of other projects I have in mind!

Also, I did get a temporary/foldable type board made this weekend for our wargaming needs! it's not grand, and it's a bit thin, but it works, which by my book is all that counts at this point! luckily, I don't have to worry about the wife nagging about taking over the dining room table - cuz I am the wife ^_^

if interested pics of the board:

Table1.jpg

Table2.jpg

• Like 13

You'll be surprised how many castings it takes to build walls and stuff with HA molds. ::): What I've done is set up a space to store the casts (e.g. a medium-sized USPS box), then if I'm watching some TV off the DVR, I just pause at the end of each hour-long show, and do another cast. Might only get a few casts in per night, or maybe get 10 or so on a decent Saturday or Sunday, but after a while it adds up. Then when I get inspired I don't have to worry about whether I have the pieces handy. ::): I currently have probably the equivalent of 15 full casts of that fieldstone mold, plus MANY extras of some of the pieces, like the arches. Plus I picked up the fieldstone ruin mold (#75) and I've cast that another 20 times or so, but I've snagged a bunch of those pieces for projects already.

• Like 6

You'll be surprised how many castings it takes to build walls and stuff with HA molds. ::): What I've done is set up a space to store the casts (e.g. a medium-sized USPS box), then if I'm watching some TV off the DVR, I just pause at the end of each hour-long show, and do another cast. Might only get a few casts in per night, or maybe get 10 or so on a decent Saturday or Sunday, but after a while it adds up. Then when I get inspired I don't have to worry about whether I have the pieces handy. ::): I currently have probably the equivalent of 15 full casts of that fieldstone mold, plus MANY extras of some of the pieces, like the arches. Plus I picked up the fieldstone ruin mold (#75) and I've cast that another 20 times or so, but I've snagged a bunch of those pieces for projects already.

Good points! I have started a pile so I'll be able to have some extras. Still working out proper water to plaster ratio with the stuff I have. I'd like to buy more molds because it's so easy to fill them in one go, but have to wait for more money. Luckily this particular projject won't take too many bits I think, I've managed three good casts over the weekend that will give me enough walls I think.

• Like 3

When I get into a really good grove, I can make a cast before work, right when I get home, and right before bed. In a week, you've got enough blocks to do at least a small project.

• Like 4