Sign in to follow this  
Guildenstern

Guildy's Swamp Terrain pics (and maybe other stuffs)

When I get into a really good grove, I can make a cast before work, right when I get home, and right before bed. In a week, you've got enough blocks to do at least a small project.

That's what I need to start doing. 

• Like 1

what is y'all's preferred plaster to use for this? I've got some of the woodland scenics lightweight hydrocal, which is pretty expensive compared to dental plaster for instance. I don't really like it so much? I mean it sets up pretty quick, to the stage where you need to scrape it and then it takes a good 40 min to harden enough to remove. It might be somewhat our cold weather atm, too. Or just my own inexperience. It being lighter weight seems to make it a bit harder to mix properly as it doesn't sink well into the water, one way I've seen on youtube to make sure it's got enough of each. Mind you it's nice and strong now although I did have to dry it in my oven for a while, which again could be the cold or me adding too much water maybe.

I'll probably be ordering a dental plaster soon anyway, just because it ends up being quite a bit cheaper.

I use Merlin's Magic Dental Plaster.  I would recommend it depending on is you have a distributor nearby (the one I had had shipping levels based upon where you were in relation to them.  It could get quite pricey).  One plus is that is is gray in color so it's almost like it is already basecoated.

• Like 1

I like Excalibur dental plaster. It comes in grey, which is a big bonus. Of course the next 2 boxes I've got in the basement are green... so.. that'll be interesting.

• Like 2

I've had absolutely no luck finding dental plaster in Canada. ::(: I got a box of Merlin's Magic early last year and used that for a while, but I've switched to Hydrostone. Still some problems with bubbles but very few (except in tiny things), and so far I've been finding it really strong. It helps that I found a place relatively nearby where I can by 100lb bags of it for $50 (Canadian). ::): I really want to try out Excalibur though, so if anyone knows of a supplier who can get it to me in Canada without paying a fortune in shipping, that'd be appreciated... ::P: Otherwise I might order some and have it shipped to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg sometime.

Anyway. I mostly use Hydrostone, to answer the actual question. ::P: I find the pieces stay a lot softer near what was the top of the mold (the part that's flat from scraping or whatever) for a long time. I tend to give the pieces a minimum of 2 days of drying time before I try to use them, and if possible, more like 2 weeks. It's one of the reasons I set up my little routine of casting stuff well ahead of time, just in case. It's also really hard to get the mix just right, and to make sure I'm scraping it at the right time. Too early or too wet, and the pieces actually shrink a little into the mold as they dry out and can end up soft and weak; too late or too dry, and it's uneven and weird. I think I've got it mostly sorted out though; I rarely get significant bubbles any more, and my newer pieces are very consistent in thickness. So it might just be a case of "practice makes perfect". ::): 

• Like 3

I opted to make my own dental plaster. I use 1 part concrete powder to 4 parts plaster. I have used a few plasters but I find the Michael's brand he best. It isn't immune from chipping but it is surprisingly strong.

• Like 1

Good to know! I can say I'll definitely be  getting more molds and more plaster, I haven't had this much fun since before I had to put my legos up so my youngest child wouldn't steal them all :P Hopefully I can take some more pics tomorrow to show the progress

• Like 2

So, I couldn't wait to do something with some left over bits I had lying around. Still waiting for my building to dry so I can do more work on it. In the mean time I finished up this hill I'd started yesterday.

Hilla.jpg

Hill.jpg

Hill1.jpg

Hill2.jpg

Hill3.jpg

Hill4.jpg

Hill5.jpg

• Like 12

Hill looks Awesome!

Will minis fit on the 'steps' on the sides?

That is the thing that always drives me crazy when making terrain, 'use-ability' vs looks. It can sometimes be very difficult to get both together, especially I found, doing slopes...

I have not tried this, (yet) but it might be a good way to build terrain quickly...

George

• Like 4

Ah nope =/ the little steps are too narrow really. They'll fit adequately on top up to maybe four I think.

I love that tutorial! I will have to try this :D I've heard of using it before but not gotten around to it.

woodland scenics "side hills" or something like that - it's a mold for plaster, one of their terrain set. Can't say I enjoyed casting from it :( it doesn't sit quite flat, I had to prop the sides to prevent slopping out and it was hard to get the finished cast out of the mold (which could totally be user error!) But! It really looks quite nice as rock

*edit* a lot of them broke when I tried to get them out, which is why I used them for this, in random spots really. I may have made the plaster up wrong (likely, still learning) but they are quite long pieces and it's not a silicon mold like the Hirst ones so it is hard to push them out or get them out. Anyway still works and since the woodland scenics molds are pretty cheap, not bad.

Edited by Guildenstern
  • Like 3

This is the ruined building piece I'm working on for Frostgrave (and for the Miniwargaming Dead Of Winter terrain contest)

DeadOfWinter4.jpg

Here's the walls in place, primed black so I could leave some shadows in between the stones. Coarse sand and the trees (squee 50 cents a four pack at Michaels Christmas clearance!) on and drying. Coat of PVA over just about everything

DeadOfWinter6.jpg

brown wash, with slightly lighter one in places, on the sand; a few piles of bigger rocks to try to break it up a bit. I also heavily drybrushed the walls in medium grey and then a lighter grey and washed them again after with a black. Probably going to do more careful drybrushing after to bring it back up a bit.

DeadOfWinter7.jpg

With the 'corpses' (still in process of converting) in place; the one on the left is a Skaven GW clanrat model from the Isle of Blood set, the one on the right is a hodge podge from my bits box, right now he has a GW Dwarf head, a GW vampire count torso, a very old GW Skaven arm, a Mantic Zombie legs and I have no idea yet where I'm going to get a left arm :P Frankenstein maybe. I am going to grind down the bottom of the skaven (that's on the board) so he'll lie a bit better.

DeadOfWinter5Arrows.jpg

While all the above was drying I decided the dwarf/archer dude need some ammo, so I tried to make some arrows out ofpaper clips and the left over green stuff from trying to convert him to a corpse.

DeadOfWinter5ArrowsB.jpg

Here I tried to make indentations to show the feathers, I also tied a bit of thread around the shaft. originally I was going to take it off, as I was just using it to make indentations, but I may leave it on instead. (The round thing is gonna be a flattened beer can for my Gremlins' bases)

• Like 8