Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dilvish the Deliverer

Dilvish's Frostgrave Terrain

64 posts in this topic

So, as you may have heard, I have been bitten by the Frostgrave bug.  Like several others here.

I don't want to keep thread-jacking the topics that others have already started so I'm starting my own.  And there is nothing that you can do about it!

(Except ignore it.  Please don't ignore it.  My fragile self esteem would just totally fall apart and I would be forced to return to.........where was I)

Yes terrain.  I used to make terrain back when I played Mordheim but all of that has been lost to time and space (and Navy movers).  So I'm building most things from scratch.  I will include finished works as well as WIP.  If there is interest I can break out specific projects into a separate WIP thread.

So to start off: My first 10 painted minis of the New year: A Target Games resin Graveyard set.

post-626-0-74915300-1451786728_thumb.jpg

Now that Iook at it, I missed painting the earth on one of the graves.  And some moss (lichen I guess for the cold lands)

Next up is my pool/well.  This is actually an ash tray that Awesome Wife and I picked up from an open air market in London on our honeymoon in '98.  We don't smoke but it looked cool.

post-626-0-80741800-1451786913_thumb.jpg

Next up is a WIP of a ruined two story house.  I think the next ones I make will not be as wide.  Materials are foamcore board ($1) and craft (popsicle sticks, also $1).  I've got plenty of both left.  Front:

post-626-0-77057500-1451787174_thumb.jpg

And back:

post-626-0-74273900-1451787206_thumb.jpg

Future plans will include a storage box tower and some sort of stepped platform built out of insulation board.

FYI the foamboard cuts were done with a hot knife.  Very handy and relatively cheap.  Mine was $15 at AC Moore but after coupons and discounts it ended up being 7 bucks.

15 people like this

1. Oh, man, the graveyards of Frostgrave would definitely be a thing to see.

2. I look forward to seeing and appreciating your work, and stealing all your good ideas.

3. I quit smoking in 1995, and I STILL have ashtrays all over the house. Most have never actually seen use for their intended purpose. Do not apologize for cool stuff.

5 people like this

1. Oh, man, the graveyards of Frostgrave would definitely be a thing to see.

2. I look forward to seeing and appreciating your work, and stealing all your good ideas.

3. I quit smoking in 1995, and I STILL have ashtrays all over the house. Most have never actually seen use for their intended purpose. Do not apologize for cool stuff.

1. Yep.  I've got plans for a 3x3 graveyard scenario.  Plus if I get it all done it can double as a Halloween display.

2. Steal away.  There is a quote somewhere that all artist steal (or something to that effect)

3. Not apologizing; just giving the details behind the acquisition.  It was cool so I bought it no matter what it's original purpose was.

5 people like this

Dilvish, remember that AC Moore and Michael's both give a 15% Military discount, but you have to ask to get it....

George

2 people like this

Welcome to the Magnificent Order of Frostgrave Addicted Terrain Assemblers and Thread Starters! (MOFATATS) :-)

4 people like this

Dilvish, remember that AC Moore and Michael's both give a 15% Military discount, but you have to ask to get it....

George

The AC Moore up by me has a big sign advertising it. And it stacks with a coupon (I bought my Krome airbrush with both).  I was unaware that Michael's did the same thing.  I'll add that to the list (which includes 10% at Lowes and Home Depot).

Continuing with the graveyard theme; here are four "Halloween Tree" ornaments that I picked up a couple of years ago.  How should I base them?  Individually (round or square bases), or in pairs (on craft sticks)?

post-626-0-72925800-1451790104_thumb.jpg

5 people like this

Can you handle water effects in the ashtray? That would look insane. If not look for something else. Eat seafood? Clean and dry out a shell. Though making a base for it might be a pain.

2 people like this

Can you handle water effects in the ashtray? That would look insane. If not look for something else. Eat seafood? Clean and dry out a shell. Though making a base for it might be a pain.

I might be able to.  I've got some resin I could tint and pour in there.  I would want to practice on something else first.  It's one of my eventual goals.

Also, I'm going to make an ice pond.  I figure a clear piece of plastic; reverse painted on the underside with white blues.

2 people like this

For the Halloween ornaments, if would suggest basing them at the end of individual rectangular bases, so they look like they are at the heads of actual graves.

2 people like this

Hmm, I'll have to see what I have available.  They are just too wide for the big craft sticks I have.  I think my only cavalry bases are pewter.  I have some clementine boxes I can cut up. 

Must ponder

3 people like this

Ok, is this better? :)

Frostgrave Association of Surpeme Terrain Crafters And Thread Starters. (FASTCATS)

6 people like this

Ok, is this better? :)

Frostgrave Association of Surpeme Terrain Crafters And Thread Starters. (FASTCATS)

FASTCATS, I like it... Now if only we'd all get around to finishing things.  :wacko:

2 people like this

Is anything for a game really ever 'finished'?

Only when the wife says "Come to bed!"

:lol:

3 people like this

Is anything for a game really ever 'finished'?

Not as long as you're still breathing.

RE: tombstone ornaments--I'd base them individually.

Great start to your terrain collection!!

I painted some of that graveyard collection you have in the first pic; mine were cheap plaster copies I found somewhere. There's a thread in the show off section somewhere.

Edit: Here it is:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64152-scotia-grendel-gravestones/

Edited by Chaoswolf

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KingMob
      Long time lurker, second time poster, first time upload.

Here is the Frost Giant Queen from the Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter for your consideration. I was unable to participate in the Bones 3 Kickstarter as I came upon these Bones figures late in the game. However, the participants who were able placed their unwanted miniatures up on eBay, so I took advantage of opportunity when presented. I focused on Color Theory and Texture on this piece as she provided a very large palette to paint upon. These Giants provided me practice in sketching too, which makes the entire line appealing to me.

Side note: Gratitude to those who did place these minis up on eBay without jacking up the prices. I was able to purchase the both Frost Giant Royalty around cost of what Reaper will sell them at Retail. This certainly displays an ethos in the Reaper community that makes this community stand out among others. Further, having lurked for awhile: the community here is quite kind and helpful. This is a good community of miniature painters.

I like the Bones miniature range. The detail on this miniature was very close to what I expect from the metal range, and I will purchase more of the Bones range in the future. I am looking forward to the resculpt of Vanya, the Fire Giant Princess, and her new size to match the Fire Giants in D&D. The attire of this miniature is akin to the Viking attire of old, and I found my SCA ventures to assist me in painting this Viking Apron and embellishments. The sculptor did an outstanding job and I look forward to more of their work.

The FAQs were an asset that made my first foray into Bones an easier one. I had difficulty with flash lines until I picked up some diamond files, which handled them quite well without marring detail like my serrated files. The bent pieces were fixed with some boiling water and cold water quite easily. The pieces fit together like a glove, though I admit I still pinned them. (My OCD was tingling.) I did use Krylon as Primer, and the tackiness disappeared after the first coat of paint. She was sealed only with Krylon Dull Cote and exhibits no tackiness. She has been handled and there is no rubbing off of paint.

I like how her base was round, though I am ignorant of what would be an appropriate Reaper base to place this inside of. (I currently have the King on a GW Dreadnought base, and I do not like it. If anyone reads this and has a recommendation, I surely would appreciate it.)

This Bones line of miniatures has proven to me to be a Good Idea and one I will support. I am already purchasing more of the Bones 2 line for my D&D and Oldhammer alternatives, and I admit excitement at the new of Bones 4. Based on the quality of these miniatures: you will have an additional participant. Please keep up the outstanding quality and amazing work.

I hope you enjoy my efforts. C&C is always appreciated: it is the only way an Artist can improve.

May your blends be smooth.
      Peace and blessings.

• By SamuraiJack
      About this project
      The Story
      Hello again from Munchkin Metropolis!  This time around I'm targeting all of you Roleplay Gamers!  With my DIY Dungeon Kit you can now take your game nights to a whole new level.  Being able to customize your dungeons into the format you want makes being a game master so much more fun!  Below you'll see the Base Set that includes the 4 most popular sets, plus the Stretch Goal Furniture Set.  The miniatures pictured are not included in your reward (I just wanted to show how I personally utilize this setup)...Other than that, the picture is exactly what you'll receive. 
      Too Much Information
      I've recently been to the Doc and have been placed on a very strict diet and workout regimen (Working out isn't that strict, it's just 30min of light cardio daily).  But he told me not to do anything overly physical, which for a woodworker means I can't really work.  So, to save my heart and keep my business afloat, I've chosen a campaign that utilizes the laser for 80% of the work...with the remaining 20% being light physical duty.
      Due to the sheer weight of these items, I've worked to minimize the cost on materials and labor as much as possible.   The base set weighs almost 15lb and will ship in a 12x12x6 corrugated box.  Making each set is 8 hours of laser time and about 2 hours physical labor (Which is why I set the delivery date 2 months out instead of 1...but for you early backers, expect me to start shipping rewards within a week of the campaign ending.)  Mostly, I wanted to GUARANTEE delivery before Christmas.  By setting it to October, I will have plenty of time to handle anything that comes up. 
      The base set already includes the 4 most popular Expansions and will make an AWESOME Christmas Gift!  
      The floor pieces are designed so that you can expand into infinity to make those LARGE scale battle zones.  
      You'll choose either 1 or 2 inch per expansion. Each Wall Expansion is designed to be as versatile as your campaign!  
      A Base Set ready to ship (The Furniture Set is in the bag)  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rwgdesign/the-do-it-yourself-dungeon-kit
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      About this project
      SimplePolytrix has put together over 20 gorgeous 3D models available for you to download and print on your home 3D printer or printing service. These unique, highly detailed terrain pieces fit any sci fi table top scenario from strategic war gaming to role playing games. Each model is handcrafted using today's standards in 3D building software. Assurance of quality through prototype printing was done to finalize the project.
      Today you can begin building your library or increase your collection of digital models for all your gaming needs as much as you wish. The purpose of this project is to allow SimplePolytrix to continue delivering quality terrain models for all genres of gaming from fantasy to modern to historical and more. 
       Through gracious backers, more efficient and lower cost prototype testing may be done to keep the cost at a minimum for the consumer. Better materials can be purchased, and a realization of creating resin casts production can be met. It is the company's ultimate goal to be able to provide both digital downloads and physical prints so anyone can enjoy enhancing their battlefield with Simplepolytrix Terrain.
      We hope you're as excited about this kickstarter as we are!  Please spread the word by sharing this on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outlets so we can reach that goal!  Thank you!
      SimplePolytrix Collection Contents  
      Here are all the models you will receive if you pledge at the SimplePolytrix Collection level:
      SimplePolytrix Collection  
      Barricade  
      Single-Unit Bunker  
      Cathedral Ruins  
      Crash  
      Fencing  
      Fountain Pump  
      Garage  
      Lookout Tower  
      Objective Markers  

• By Lidless Eye
      I apparently forgot to add this set, some simple wood terrain from Bones 3 I painted alongside the Giants.

They were saved from a sealant malfunction as well, though the simple colors made it easy.

• By 1Mac
      Mixed with some resin crates from Rebel Minis.

More at the blog.
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)