Sign in to follow this  

So, as you may have heard, I have been bitten by the Frostgrave bug.  Like several others here.

I don't want to keep thread-jacking the topics that others have already started so I'm starting my own.  And there is nothing that you can do about it!

(Except ignore it.  Please don't ignore it.  My fragile self esteem would just totally fall apart and I would be forced to return to.........where was I)

Yes terrain.  I used to make terrain back when I played Mordheim but all of that has been lost to time and space (and Navy movers).  So I'm building most things from scratch.  I will include finished works as well as WIP.  If there is interest I can break out specific projects into a separate WIP thread.

So to start off: My first 10 painted minis of the New year: A Target Games resin Graveyard set.

post-626-0-74915300-1451786728_thumb.jpg

Now that Iook at it, I missed painting the earth on one of the graves.  And some moss (lichen I guess for the cold lands)

Next up is my pool/well.  This is actually an ash tray that Awesome Wife and I picked up from an open air market in London on our honeymoon in '98.  We don't smoke but it looked cool.

post-626-0-80741800-1451786913_thumb.jpg

Next up is a WIP of a ruined two story house.  I think the next ones I make will not be as wide.  Materials are foamcore board ($1) and craft (popsicle sticks, also $1).  I've got plenty of both left.  Front:

post-626-0-77057500-1451787174_thumb.jpg

And back:

post-626-0-74273900-1451787206_thumb.jpg

Future plans will include a storage box tower and some sort of stepped platform built out of insulation board.

FYI the foamboard cuts were done with a hot knife.  Very handy and relatively cheap.  Mine was $15 at AC Moore but after coupons and discounts it ended up being 7 bucks.

• Like 16

1. Oh, man, the graveyards of Frostgrave would definitely be a thing to see.

2. I look forward to seeing and appreciating your work, and stealing all your good ideas.

3. I quit smoking in 1995, and I STILL have ashtrays all over the house. Most have never actually seen use for their intended purpose. Do not apologize for cool stuff.

• Like 5

1. Oh, man, the graveyards of Frostgrave would definitely be a thing to see.

2. I look forward to seeing and appreciating your work, and stealing all your good ideas.

3. I quit smoking in 1995, and I STILL have ashtrays all over the house. Most have never actually seen use for their intended purpose. Do not apologize for cool stuff.

1. Yep.  I've got plans for a 3x3 graveyard scenario.  Plus if I get it all done it can double as a Halloween display.

2. Steal away.  There is a quote somewhere that all artist steal (or something to that effect)

3. Not apologizing; just giving the details behind the acquisition.  It was cool so I bought it no matter what it's original purpose was.

• Like 5

Dilvish, remember that AC Moore and Michael's both give a 15% Military discount, but you have to ask to get it....

George

• Like 2

Dilvish, remember that AC Moore and Michael's both give a 15% Military discount, but you have to ask to get it....

George

The AC Moore up by me has a big sign advertising it. And it stacks with a coupon (I bought my Krome airbrush with both).  I was unaware that Michael's did the same thing.  I'll add that to the list (which includes 10% at Lowes and Home Depot).

Continuing with the graveyard theme; here are four "Halloween Tree" ornaments that I picked up a couple of years ago.  How should I base them?  Individually (round or square bases), or in pairs (on craft sticks)?

post-626-0-72925800-1451790104_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Can you handle water effects in the ashtray? That would look insane. If not look for something else. Eat seafood? Clean and dry out a shell. Though making a base for it might be a pain.

• Like 2

Can you handle water effects in the ashtray? That would look insane. If not look for something else. Eat seafood? Clean and dry out a shell. Though making a base for it might be a pain.

I might be able to.  I've got some resin I could tint and pour in there.  I would want to practice on something else first.  It's one of my eventual goals.

Also, I'm going to make an ice pond.  I figure a clear piece of plastic; reverse painted on the underside with white blues.

• Like 2

For the Halloween ornaments, if would suggest basing them at the end of individual rectangular bases, so they look like they are at the heads of actual graves.

• Like 2

Hmm, I'll have to see what I have available.  They are just too wide for the big craft sticks I have.  I think my only cavalry bases are pewter.  I have some clementine boxes I can cut up. 

Must ponder

• Like 3

Ok, is this better? :)

Frostgrave Association of Surpeme Terrain Crafters And Thread Starters. (FASTCATS)

FASTCATS, I like it... Now if only we'd all get around to finishing things.  :wacko:

• Like 3

Is anything for a game really ever 'finished'?

Not as long as you're still breathing.

RE: tombstone ornaments--I'd base them individually.

Great start to your terrain collection!!

I painted some of that graveyard collection you have in the first pic; mine were cheap plaster copies I found somewhere. There's a thread in the show off section somewhere.

Edit: Here it is:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64152-scotia-grendel-gravestones/

Edited by Chaoswolf

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chris Palmer
         With our upcoming Ghost Archipelago campaign less than two months away, I thought I would start introducing the crew I plan to use, as I get the figures painted up.  
         I'll  start with are my Heritor (Reaper 77044 Turanil, Male Elf paladin) and Warden (03415 Lanura Windsong, Elf Wizard).    We decided for our initial GA test game, which we are having after our December Frostgrave campaign game, that we would roll randomly for Heritor abilities.  I got an interesting assortment, and depending on how things go during the test game, I just may keep them.  For the Wardens we choose whatever Branch and Spells we wanted.   

I've had in mind wanting to use these two figures, so I decided to go with a crew of Elves.  The figures I'm using for my Heritor and Warden were already painted, so given the color scheme I had used for Warden's figure I deiced to go with a Vine Warden.

Heritor:  Lord Hytieral Fortrywn-   Retired from a lengthy military career to enjoy his wealth and his laurels. Powerful. Landholder. Doesn’t tolerate fools.  Not happy that his younger step-sister has out-maneuvered him into taking her daughter,  his niece, along with him to act as his Warden.  She says it will be good for the girl to have experience in the world; he finds the young magic-user barely tolerable, and the fact she isn’t a true wizard is an embarrassment.  

Daze- 3
      Evade-5
      Stand Firm- 5
      Surge- 5
      Disarm-5

So I think the Daze is going to be interesting as the main ability.  Apparently this guy is so formidable looking as he twirls his sword around acrobatically, that enemies just kind of freeze up when they see him. The other abilities I think fall in nicely with someone who was a professional soldier.

Warden: Marnilyne Dewdrisane-  Young. Impetuous. Curious. Argumentative. Naïve. In awe of her uncle, and a little scared of him; but also terribly excited to be a part of the adventure ahead.  

Brambles
      Plant Walk
      Warp Weapon
      Summon Animal

I chose Summon Animal as my out-of-school spell, as I've learned from Frostgrave that having an extra figure to command can make a real difference.  Also, I saw this Warden as being generally loving, and being connected to, all living things, plant or animal.  

• By SamuraiJack

About
      BASE SYSTEM ROOTS 
      When I moved from hex map to miniature rules gaming, I struggled to find any decent affordable scenery. 
      Thus I decided to make some myself. These were sold online under the name of Mechanized Designworks. I found many other people liked them. 
      This led to my decision to make an entire range accessible to the public through DFA, in the form of the BASE System. With your support DFA intends to create the largest range of affordable, high quality modular 6mm scale scenery and buildings. With your continued support, the range has scope to expand indefinitely.
      BASE System sections will be made from 3D printed design originals. Each section will be individually hand-finished before casting in resin, creating a high-quality finish suitable for your choice of model paint. 
      BASE SYSTEM CORE  
       BASE Systems are modular.  
      Example BASE System layout with stand-alone buildings There are many buildings, from stand-alone structures and themed sets, to totally modular sets that allow players to build a base as big or small as they wish. A host of new building designs and base layouts can be created by simply repositioning individual sections; while the same parts can be endlessly reconfigured to provide new vistas for each game.  

If you're looking to build a small outpost or firebase or a big planetary command centre for your games, BASE has you covered. Best of all: because BASE System is modular, you can take it apart and redesign it when setting up your next game.  
      Infinite possibilities and configurations await with BASE.
      Example of a large BASE system layout using modular parts BASE SYSTEM VISUAL  
      BASE offers a uniform look and feel across sets in the range. 
      While each module in a set is interchangeable, it will still conform to the overall chosen appearance of your tabletop. In addition, you can make sets look entirely different, yet cohesive, with a few additional components in different paint livery.
      EVOLVING YOUR BASE SYSTEM  
      Start small and go large … or start big.  
      Example of a small BASE System layout The choice is yours. The BASE System is available in box sets and individual components. You can evolve your BASE System at your own speed by adding components or sets as and when it suits you. (To help get you started with this, you will also receive two of some buildings at specific pledge levels.)
      Fire Control and HQ buildings  
      The Repair Bay contains 2 rigs, allowing you to switch between closed and open during your games.  
      The Geodesic Dome will feature a clear resin casting,allowing you to create features inside the structure.  
      The Class A Interstellar Communications set is just the first modular BASE system we hope to produce.
    • By Lidless Eye
      For the most recent works in progress, a gigantic distraction from my poor Death Guard project.  In the last week, multiple delayed Kickstarters (and one on-time Nickstarter) arrived...as well as the ReaperCon Swag Bag!

Arrivals included:
      Stonehaven Miniatures Giants Stonehaven Adventurers 2017 Midlam Miniatures "Winter Adventurers" Reapercon Swag Bag Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago Nickstarter  

While I am trying to complete the Death Guard, I did ready these groups for prime time:

The Giants are nicely sized.  While there are some issues with the scaling between Giant "tribes" in comparison to 5E entries, they do tower over adventurers.  The Wolf Lord, who I expected to be an Ogre-sized werewolf, is massive!

• By jsalyers
      This is my cowardly Necromancer from the Frostgrave campaign I'm playing against @arouark. Callus is constantly, hiding in the back, throwing his poor apprentice into the fray and generally giving Necromancers everywhere a bad name. :)  

C&C welcome.

J--

• By SamuraiJack

About this project
      Hello,
      We are so excited and honored that you are taking the time to consider our project. Our tabletop journey has brought us so much joy and satisfaction to be able to play with friends and family. The quality of the product that our terrain engineers have developed is truly a reward all its own. That being said, we would like to continue as a team to provide versatile, durable, and affordable terrain to everyone who might be interested in it. 
      We created our terrain with the Game Master in mind. It is our mission to provide a suite of tools that could be provided that empower off-the-rails playability. We look forward to all of the community input so that we can tailor our efforts to bring to life the answers to the problems that we, as GMs, face throughout the multiverses.
      With your help, we hope to become an additional tool that can be wielded in the moment it is needed most. 

1 Set Our basic set comes with the following: 
      6- 4x4 inch tile floors 8- 4 inch walls 4- 2 inch walls 6- 1 inch walls 2- 1 inch doors The floor tiles and walls are separated so that the GM can manipulate the field as they see fit. There is no prep time needed because the walls can be dropped in place immediately and configured in any conceivable fashion. Our walls lock together with magic so that they are stable without needing to be connected to the floor tiles.
      We designed the walls with playability in mind so that everyone at the table can still have a good view of the dungeon without needing to stand up and peer in. Standard 28mm miniatures are easily visible, and even paper tokens can be seen without requiring additional effort. 
      By using the standard grid as a basis, we wanted to make sure that our product would enhance your existing setup, not become a replacement.
       *Add-on purchases are available for backers who purchase two sets or more.
       Our Forest Pack comes with two types of trees. We designed the trunks so that the leaves could be removed for those players or enemies who enjoy scaling the trees to hide or fire from a better vantage point. The $25 purchase comes with two trees, each of our small and large platform trunks.
      It is our great pleasure to offer our Caravel Add-on. This vessel connects with the same magic as our walls. The ship is stackable so multiple levels can be purchased if desired. The masts, sail yards, and crows nest are designed so that dramatic swashbuckling action can take place above the vessel itself. The masts can be removed if needed and can be replaced with the mast slot cover, in the event that the vessel is driven by oars or some other means.
      The ship is made up of three locking pieces: prow, aft and midship. The prow and aft can be connected to form smaller vessels and additional middle sections can be combined to create mighty warships or trading vessels. 
      The undercarriage of the ship has four pillar slots that can be used to prop a ship up giving the GM the ability to place lurking sea creatures underneath. This also enables the GM to utilize the ship as an airship if desired, flying above the battlefield and exploring the skies.
      The $149 purchase comes with the prow, the aft, and the midship. It also comes with three masts, three mast hole covers and one crow's nest.
      Our $99 Galley Add-on comes with the prow, the aft, and the midship. It also comes with three mast hole covers.
      The $22 Support Pillars Add-on comes with 11- 3 inch tall support pillars that can be used to raise your ship off the ground or can be used as flying platforms to keep track of PCs and enemies in the chaos of battle.
  • Who's Online   39 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)