NomadZeke

Resolutionary Painting Challenge 2016 Chatter/Questions

[MOD]Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

Posting Non-Reaper Figures
When you post in Show off, please use the topic title line for the name of your creation, and use the tags for the manufacturer. That way, you're descriptive and search-friendly at the same time while giving credit where it's due. Use Tags liberally, for manufacturer, name, part number, modifications done, etc. These help our members find your model!

Posting Reaper Figures
When you post in Show off, please use the topic title line for the part number AND name of your creation, and use the tags for the other descriptions. That way, you're descriptive and search-friendly at the same time while giving credit where it's due. Use Tags liberally, for description, modifications done, etc. These help our members find your model!

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.[/MOD]

FAQ
Reaper only? - No.
If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
Based or unbased? - Yes.
Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy

Medium and smaller = 1 ea
Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea

Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
Bigger ("Tianot," Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = month quota

Update on size rules, due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
Currently - If it's not in this list, it counts as 1.
Thunderbird
Emperor
Ronin
Simba
Tiamat
Katana
Tyrant
Starhawk
Regent
Cataphract
Silverback
Kraken

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

4 for the exchanges, something new to try
12 for the monsters, who in the dungeons moan
7 for the competition, to please the judges eye
19 for the table top, which will set the tone
9 for the players, doomed to see their characters die
One for the master painter on his ergonomic throne
In the well lit studio where no shadows lie
one tag to hue them all, one tag to bind them
one tag to bring them all and in the forum find them.
In the well lit studio where no shadows lie

Participants:
If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, you must post in the monthly thread.

Pending

The objective:
To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via monthly quota
(each monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)

Reward:
Last year a badge was discussed, this year I hope to -actually- have that done.
Or possibly - POSSIBLY for those at reapercon, a "Challenger" badge ribbon for those who stick it out through reapercon - missing no more than 1 month.

What qualifies:
Darn near anything!
Reaper/non-reaper!
Any material!
Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
Exchange minis!
Speed paints!
Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
Any Size!
Based/unbased!
Etc! (I think that covers everything)

An "*" Denotes special monthly details in the following spoiler due to possibly more time being needed to obtain pieces. - Tagging all Show-offs with "RPChallenge" helps immensely in finding the figures.
January [CLOSED] - 4 - http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/66366-resolutionary-painting-challenge-january-2016/
February [CLOSED] - 4 - http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/66891-february-resolutionary-painting-challenge/
March [CLOSED] - 5 - http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/67551-march-resolutionary-painting-challenge/
April*[CLOSED] - 4 - http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68129-april-resolutionary-painting-challenge/
May [CLOSED] - 5 - http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68661-may-resolutionary-painting-challenge/
June [CLOSED] - 4 - http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69250-june-rpchallenge/
July [CLOSED] - 4 - http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69900-temporary-july-rpchallenge/
August* [CLOSED] - 4 - http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70205-august-rpchallenge/
September - 5 - http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70808-september-rp-challenge/
October - 4 -http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71158-october-rpchallenge/
November - 4 -
December* - 5 -

April: The first modern olympics since ancient times were held in Athens, Greece, 1896. Bonus Challenge 2 is: Make all figures for the month into a diorama honoring the competition, ceremony or competition (winter or summer olympiad, your call)
August: This is the month the first "Time Machine" movie was released. Bonus Challenge 2 is: a figure that's lost in their place of time. A sci-fi mini converted to have a shield and sword or such, or a fantasy mini with sci-fi gear such as a gun, baton/shield, etc.
December: To celebrate the holidays and spirit of giving, your bonus challenge 2 is: make a vignette of 2 figures exchanging gifts - 1 human, 1 non (elf, orc, dragon, whatever) but the items need to look wrapped. Greenstuff, actual paper, a small box with freehand, etc.

Edited by NomadZeke
  • Like 7

OK, Trolls and Ogres count as 2...

Cavalry (like the ones on a 25x50 base) is one for the horse one for the rider? 2.

Ooh ooh! Me! I'm working hard to make time this year!

I see in the main thread that folks are writing out what minis they are doing. Do we just write a little post like, "yes, I'm doing 4!" and then go back and link to the show-off thread when done? ::o:

Morihalda, if you look here, you will see the usual format people use.

Place holders put in until you know for what you are doing, then edit your post to add things.

When you finish, post in show off and move your figure from 'working on' to 'finished' and link it.

Glad to have you aboard!

George

• Like 2

I never said I'd reveal -all- the challenges at once ::P:

Did you get any more challenge suggestions?

Just curious...

George

And please wait till at least May for the chickens....

Something coming (hopefully) from Infamy....

OK, Trolls and Ogres count as 2...

Cavalry (like the ones on a 25x50 base) is one for the horse one for the rider? 2.

Since they're hypothetically 2 figures, horse and rider, I'd say yes.

Morihalda, if you look here, you will see the usual format people use.

Place holders put in until you know for what you are doing, then edit your post to add things.

When you finish, post in show off and move your figure from 'working on' to 'finished' and link it.

Glad to have you aboard!

George

Pretty much got it.

I never said I'd reveal -all- the challenges at once ::P:

Did you get any more challenge suggestions?

Just curious...

George

And please wait till at least May for the chickens....

Something coming (hopefully) from Infamy....

Not many, no. I can't guarantee when they'll fall down the line though. The order of some challenges is fluid.

• Like 2

I'd like to participate in this.  Is there a signup thread/official list of participants somewhere, or should I just post completed figures with the appropriate "RPChallenge" tags to participate?

In the first post here, there's an index of the month-to-month links, As explained above, you can just put a placeholder post for it, then as you get your show-offs up, edit that post to contain links to your show-off threads. Essentially you posting in the monthly thread is your sign-up. The "RPChallenge" tags just helps with finding the figures in the show-off forum.

• Like 1

So if I understand correctly?

This month's challenge is 4, meaning 4 normal minis or 2 Ogres or 1 khanjira for example.

Paint anything you want, when done post in show off and link in the challenge thread?

Question, I paint Busts, ( Now working on Tuma) are these like Dragons or like Huge ( Kally, Khanjira?)

• Like 3

That's correct. Last year some people said the absolute value of 1 made them disinclined to paint larger figures. So by adding a value equivalent it lets them do that. They're welcome to count them as 1 if they still want, however.

If they are the scale of appropriate dragons, then yes, otherwise I'd need to see a size comparison to say for sure

That's correct. Last year some people said the absolute value of 1 made them disinclined to paint larger figures. So by adding a value equivalent it lets them do that. They're welcome to count them as 1 if they still want, however.

If they are the scale of appropriate dragons, then yes, otherwise I'd need to see a size comparison to say for sure

Tuma from Legendarion is a 120 mm Bust for example.

Some others are like 90mm.

• Like 1

If the bust is closer to the size of Yephima and the like: 2, if it's more like the demon Lord of minotaurs: 3 will be the value. I think that seems fair

• Like 2