Sign in to follow this  
aku-chan

Nikola Tesla

Great job!

Goodness, where's he from?

He's from "Twisted Game," which is a Steampunk Adventure game by Sebastian Archer. If you look it up, it'll come up with "DementedGames" as the URL.

ETA: Sebastian also sculpts a lot for Guild of Harmony.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Nice, there's even his favorite (mechanized?) pigeon.

Shame that the staff doesn't have more impressive coils. Tesla is all about coils!

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

Not sure I'd know where to start with all those gears myself.  An admirable work, as Grimreaper points out, that you can call finished.  I personally find the more unfinished mini's that accumulate, the more my motivation drops. 

• Like 1

I don't know if it's of any use, but since I've been painting up lots of mechanical doohickeys for Iron Kingdoms (steampunk fantasy) and Deadlands (steampunk western) lately, there are various things I've tried doing to break up lots of mechanical greebles when they get especially dense:

1) Use different types of metallic, rather than just one shade of gunmetal.  Sometimes I'll highlight/drybrush with some "platinum" (white metallic) that I found, and I also have some slightly tinted metallics billed as "patina" and "nickel" and such.  Or, pick a few recessed areas and apply a darker wash here or there to give it a little more sense of depth.

2) Search out anything that might look even remotely like a gauge or indicator (i.e., just about anything round that isn't obviously part of a gear or a joint), for spots of color in among all the metallic bits.  I see at least one such round, framed shape on the chest piece (on the figure's left, viewer's right) that looks as if it would be ideal to paint up as a gauge of some sort.

3) If it fits the setting, have an "internal glow" behind some of the machinery, rather than just shadow.  This applies especially for Iron Kingdoms, where a good number of factions have some sort of "magitech" involved.  (Cygnar and Cyriss both seem to have a thing for glowing blue electrical effects mixed in with their machinery, Cryx is all about glowing green, Ios / Retribution of Scyrah seems to go for more of a glowing turquoise, and the Cephalyx have a thing for glowing purple -- and just about everybody in the Iron Kingdoms has to have a glowing furnace in there somewhere.)

4) Some verdigris can add a bit of color to copper/bronze areas if it seems appropriate.  Of course, some folks just look as if they should be too well-maintained to ever let any of their copper start turning green, but even then I might just chalk it up to style.

5) If there's anything that looks like cabling, it could be painted a different color to suggest hoses rather than just metal pipe.  Too much color variety might start to make it look like more modern-ish electronics, so for "Victorian steampunk" I prefer to try to make it look like rubber hose (black, grey, or brick red, with a metallic ring around each end to represent the clamping ring).

6) If there are any large cylinders that look like some sort of tank that could conceivably be removed (e.g., a gas canister), it would be a prime candidate for being painted a different color, perhaps even with a little dab on it to suggest some sort of labeling or symbol.  I have a preference for going for white/grey, red, green, or yellow, as for some reasons those colors just strike me as good candidates.  (I'm not basing this off of industrial color-coding standards, as one feature of steampunk is that everything is cobbled together and there's little in the way of "standards" to point to.  ;)  )

Anyway, the trousers and face DID turn out wonderfully.  What a nice figure!  I especially like that mechanical bird on one shoulder; if that were a separate piece, that looks like it would have been perfect for a "firebird" for my IKRPG campaign last year.

• Like 3

Thanks everybody!

Great job!

Goodness, where's he from?

He's from "Twisted Game," which is a Steampunk Adventure game by Sebastian Archer. If you look it up, it'll come up with "DementedGames" as the URL.

ETA: Sebastian also sculpts a lot for Guild of Harmony.

Darn it! One day I'll remember to put where these minis come from in my OP.

Nice, there's even his favorite (mechanized?) pigeon.

Shame that the staff doesn't have more impressive coils. Tesla is all about coils!

I thought it was an eagle :down:

Now you mention it, there is a surprising lack of coils.

I don't know if it's of any use, but since I've been painting up lots of mechanical doohickeys for Iron Kingdoms (steampunk fantasy) and Deadlands (steampunk western) lately, there are various things I've tried doing to break up lots of mechanical greebles when they get especially dense:

1) Use different types of metallic, rather than just one shade of gunmetal.  Sometimes I'll highlight/drybrush with some "platinum" (white metallic) that I found, and I also have some slightly tinted metallics billed as "patina" and "nickel" and such.  Or, pick a few recessed areas and apply a darker wash here or there to give it a little more sense of depth.

2) Search out anything that might look even remotely like a gauge or indicator (i.e., just about anything round that isn't obviously part of a gear or a joint), for spots of color in among all the metallic bits.  I see at least one such round, framed shape on the chest piece (on the figure's left, viewer's right) that looks as if it would be ideal to paint up as a gauge of some sort.

3) If it fits the setting, have an "internal glow" behind some of the machinery, rather than just shadow.  This applies especially for Iron Kingdoms, where a good number of factions have some sort of "magitech" involved.  (Cygnar and Cyriss both seem to have a thing for glowing blue electrical effects mixed in with their machinery, Cryx is all about glowing green, Ios / Retribution of Scyrah seems to go for more of a glowing turquoise, and the Cephalyx have a thing for glowing purple -- and just about everybody in the Iron Kingdoms has to have a glowing furnace in there somewhere.)

4) Some verdigris can add a bit of color to copper/bronze areas if it seems appropriate.  Of course, some folks just look as if they should be too well-maintained to ever let any of their copper start turning green, but even then I might just chalk it up to style.

5) If there's anything that looks like cabling, it could be painted a different color to suggest hoses rather than just metal pipe.  Too much color variety might start to make it look like more modern-ish electronics, so for "Victorian steampunk" I prefer to try to make it look like rubber hose (black, grey, or brick red, with a metallic ring around each end to represent the clamping ring).

6) If there are any large cylinders that look like some sort of tank that could conceivably be removed (e.g., a gas canister), it would be a prime candidate for being painted a different color, perhaps even with a little dab on it to suggest some sort of labeling or symbol.  I have a preference for going for white/grey, red, green, or yellow, as for some reasons those colors just strike me as good candidates.  (I'm not basing this off of industrial color-coding standards, as one feature of steampunk is that everything is cobbled together and there's little in the way of "standards" to point to.  ;)  )

Anyway, the trousers and face DID turn out wonderfully.  What a nice figure!  I especially like that mechanical bird on one shoulder; if that were a separate piece, that looks like it would have been perfect for a "firebird" for my IKRPG campaign last year.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm normally a bit better at painting steampunky bits (like my steampunk sumo), but for some reason I just couldn't figure out what to do with this guy.

• Like 2