Jasper_the_2nd

Jasper's MERCS:Recon WIP

141 posts in this topic

Got my Wave 1 of MERCS: Recon last week.  Wave 1 consists of the two versions of the game: Counter Threat, which has the CCC and EU as the MERCS, and Assassination Protocol, which has the KemVar and Keizai Waza.   Each faction consists of 5 MERCS, and each box also comes with 10 SecFor (Security Forces): 5 SecForII with Shotguns and 5 SecForIII with machine guns.  The sculpts for these are all the same in a box, but the sculpts are different between boxes, so you end up with 2 different sculpts of each time 5.

Wave two will include all sorts of KS exclusive figs as well as a whole mess of faction boxes for all the other factions in the MERCS universe.  From the posts I've seen today they have just hit the water from China.

While the SecFor figs are cool and will get painted, they aren't needed to play the game.  The box comes with tokens for each of the SecFor so you can just use those to begin with.  But they don't provide tokens for the MERCS, so need to get at least one set of them done so I can play (yeah, I could make print off standies or something to start, but nah....)

I decided to start with the EU, just because they looked like they could all be fully assembled before painting without being too annoying to paint.

So far, I've got 3 assembled.

post-8239-0-29201300-1454531159_thumb.jpg

From left to right they are the Medic, the Sergeant and the Leader.

9 people like this

I like those models. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

1 person likes this

Are you done yet?  :huh:

1 person likes this

Are you done yet?  :huh:

Almost  :poke:

They will definitely be done before you come over to play the game!  ::D:

2 people like this

*** Low eerie whispering voice***

PPPHHHAAAAIIIINNNNTTTTTT

1 person likes this

*** Low eerie whispering voice***

PPPHHHAAAAIIIINNNNTTTTTT

Neeexxxxttt weeeeeeeeekkkk.......

We're having work done on the house and my work area at home is currently packed with furniture, so I'm doing prep and assembly at work, then taking them home to wash and prime (think they may get upset if I start spray priming here in my cubicle.....).  Then I'll bring them back in to paint.

So I'll get them primed over the weekend and hopefully figure out the paint scheme. Looks like the EU are usually blues and grays.

1 person likes this

More assembly!

post-8239-0-06437000-1454607872_thumb.jpg

Left to right they are the EU Analyst (that is some sort of spike for interfacing into systems I believe, not his finger....), the EU Shock trooper and, because I had some time left, the KemVar Shock trooper, the only one piece MERC out of the 20 figures.  Strangely she is a way more bendy plastic than all the other ones I've assembled so far.  As bendy as Bones I'd say.

5 people like this

Yeah the analyst has a data spike like robocop.

I do like the shock trooper and her silly punch gloves.

1 person likes this

Got a couple more KemVar assembled today.

post-8239-0-52374900-1454702805.jpg

On the left is the Engineer and on the right the Leader.

Both were a little stubborn  about getting the arms to set up in place so I only got the two done.

We'll see if that sword stays in place or if I have to go back and pin it....

6 people like this

Paint!

post-8239-0-41237200-1454951868_thumb.jpg

post-8239-0-68227200-1454951866_thumb.jpg

Got them washed and primed on the weekend, and loaded up my work paint box with some appropriate colours.

More or less following the standard colour scheme for EU.

Just shadow colours so far, and the lighter gray areas are just the primer.  They will stay a lighter gray though.

The Sergeant got the colour treatment since I realized I only had 15 minutes left and had only got three of them done with the Noir Black.  I waned to see how it would look roughed in.  Alright I think.

We'll see if I get to paint much this week...there is a blizzard supposed to roll in later today. Between that and appointments there may not be many lunches for painting, and my paint table is still surrounded by furniture at home due to renos....

8 people like this

Managed to get in and do some painting today at lunch.  I'll be happy when the work on the house is done and things settle down.

post-8239-0-33508200-1455210165_thumb.jpg

Finished up the initial base coats with the shadow colours.  well, except for the light gray bits, they are still primer.

Tomorrow I'm off to take the kid to a hockey tournament, and Monday is a holiday up here now, so likely won't get another update in until Tuesday....

6 people like this

Back from the tournament (they went 1-2 in the first round, so didn't make the semis...).

Decided I might as well try to get the 4 eyes in this squad taken care of (the rest all have visors).

post-8239-0-91714300-1455642472.jpgpost-8239-0-97116500-1455642471.jpg

The Sergeant I think looks better in real life.  I didn't get a good angle on him.

The Leader I think looks better in the picture.  ::):

Faces are done, and I did another coat on the blue, and touched up the black around the faces.

5 people like this

That's MSP Ultramarine Shadow.  Unfortunately I don't have the rest of the triad, so will have to come up with something else for the lighter colours.

I wanted to get away from my usual blue triad.

Skipped yesterday.  Figured it wasn't worth trying to paint with a headache...stupid on call.

Today was all about figuring out the grays.

post-8239-0-42442300-1455815374.jpgpost-8239-0-73630900-1455815373.jpg

I started on the legs.  They are now pretty much done except for the blue and a few touch ups

The upper body has has had the lighter gray base coated  and washed.

So the dark gray is a noir black base with the dark elf skin triad.

The lighter gray is a roughly 1"1 mix of rainy gray and gray liner, then a AP Warpaints Dark Tone ink(wash), then the base colour again, and some straight rainy gray for highlights.

Another day will hopefully get the Sergeant pretty close to done.

The bases I'm going to keep simple for now, in noir black .  I'm thinking about doing the 4 quadrants on the the edges in the squad accent colours (so blue and yellow for these guys) but I'm worried that might be too bright and distracting from the figure.....

Thoughts?

4 people like this