SpiritOfMadness

Mutalith Vortex Beast / Slaugtherbrute

Hello all,

Time for a new project besides the 5 I have on my desk and on the shelf :wacko:  Reason for this new project is that it is big and bulky and that seemed to work really well with the Clay Golem

I won this beast in october on ebay in a bid for 41 dollar so it was a pretty good deal seeing it is for sale for 65 euros in the games workshop store..

post-14632-0-77246800-1454698798_thumb.jpg     post-14632-0-86761400-1454699086_thumb.jpg

It is a modelkit so lots of fiddeling with knives, files, sandpaper, drills, magnets, glue and tape..

post-14632-0-29357700-1454698807_thumb.jpg    post-14632-0-15459000-1454698821_thumb.jpg

The Beast can be build either as the vortex beast or the slaugtherbrute version and comes with 3 different optional heads, 2 pieces to put on his back, one vortex thingy and another euhm.. thingy.. Since I couldn't decide which I wanted to make I opted for all of them :ph34r:  With the use of rare earth magnets I can now put all 3 heads on him. I am still working on the tail, 1 comes without the tail and the other with.. I need bigger/stronger magnets if I want to have that one removed aswell.

The three heads and the 2 back pieces

post-14632-0-07707500-1454698838_thumb.jpg     post-14632-0-65634700-1454698829_thumb.jpg     post-14632-0-18846800-1454698846_thumb.jpg

After I sprayed on the first coat of primer with my airbrush I found a few more glue lines and some gaps that needed filling. I used some liquid green stuff since the gaps were very narrow (but big enoug to notice)

On the next few pics you can clearly see the neodymium magnets. The magnets are 4mm round 1mm thick and i needed to place 2 of them for a stabble fix on the body. I put Autumn Bronzeleaf in the photo to get an idea of the size of this beast.

post-14632-0-49922100-1454698854_thumb.jpg     post-14632-0-44013500-1454698870_thumb.jpg

I just did my last bit of liquid green stuff and while that dries I am typing this.. Later tonight I hope to spray the last primer coat and the first base color.

• Like 15

OOH...LOTS OF COOL PARTS! Sometime in the last decade or so I stopped thinking of G.W. as a maker of miniatures, & started thinking of them as a supplier of conversion parts. That is a cornucopia of SPLENDID parts. Have FUN with them all.

• Like 4

Something didn't go as planned with my airbrush tonight after the final coat of primer.. Time to give it some long overdue TLC.. It's soaking and will go in my ultrasonic cleaner in a bit..

Gives the primer a good night to dry and me some more time to think about my base color :upside:

OOH...LOTS OF COOL PARTS! Sometime in the last decade or so I stopped thinking of G.W. as a maker of miniatures, & started thinking of them as a supplier of conversion parts. That is a cornucopia of SPLENDID parts. Have FUN with them all.

I don't have enough minis or kits to go plundering through them for parts yet, but with my ever increasing order addiction it won't take much longer me thinks  :lol:

• Like 5

Something didn't go as planned with my airbrush tonight after the final coat of primer.. Time to give it some long overdue TLC.. It's soaking and will go in my ultrasonic cleaner in a bit..

Gives the primer a good night to dry and me some more time to think about my base color :upside:

I don't have enough minis or kits to go plundering through them for parts yet, but with my ever increasing order addiction it won't take much longer me thinks  :lol:

Wait till the Box of Goodwill arrives ::P:

Curious to see how this will develop.

To be honest i'm a big Undead/Chaos fan, however most stuff GW produces these years don't do it for me.

Have fun with the beast.

• Like 2

Love the sprue pics. (the modeler in me)

Cool fig. Good luck with the painting!!

• Like 1

I made a small color study to figur out what would look right.. Still can't decide what I want.. I do know I want something to represent undead flesh for the muscles and stomach area. Which of the colors of my small study does suit that purpose the best?

I mixed all colors myself using vgc goblin green, vmc lime green, vmc dark grey, vmc neutral gray, vmc silvergrey for the green/grays. For the purple the same greys and vmc white, vgc royal purple, vgc warlord purple.

(Vgc=Vallejo game color, Vmc=Vallejo model color)

post-14632-0-53711600-1454775582_thumb.jpg

Color choices always seem to stop me dead in my tracks for a while..

For all the spicks and horns I want to go towards black, maybe a very dark black/blue.

Any suggestions or maybe even totally different color choices are more than welcome at this point!

Edited by SpiritOfMadness
  • Like 4

lol.. at this rate my primer will at least be super dry when I start basecoating.. I can't decide.. Girlfriend came up with another idea.. gonna put that one on paper first and then sleep on it I guess

• Like 1

For undead monstrosities, I'd go grey with a decidedly green tinge to it. It'll also work well with the horns/spikes painted up through black/blue/grey...

• Like 2

I applied a basecoat this morning made with vmc carmine red and a bit of vmc flat brown. After that I gave the whole model a wash with diluted vgc sepia ink. Once that was dry I started on one part of the beasts torso with a semi glazemix of vgc USA olive drab, vgc neutral gray and some vmc goblin green. I used water and Vallejo glaze medium to dilute the mix. Once I had a few coats on I started adding silvergrey to get to a lighter shade. I did keep a bit of the dark glazemix on a plate for blending rough edges. I've put on about 10 layers of the lighter glazemix and want to hear the opinion of you guys.. Does it look "right" or should I start over with a more grey base? The photo unfortunately doesn't quite seem to get the right color as to what I see on my desk but you can get a pretty good idea. On my desk its about a full tone lighter. The "red" ain't red, but is more brownish..

post-14632-0-38580200-1454861762_thumb.jpg

Any ideas, remarks or tips are as always much appreciated!

• Like 12

They have one of these at my local store.

Someone (not me) hid it behind the other boxes to make it less likely that it will be purchased before they can afford it.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 4

I wasn't completely satisfied with my color choice so far. Because of that, I tried the purple on the left side of his torso and now I really don't know with which color I should continue..

post-14632-0-69804000-1454869810_thumb.jpg

I actually like them both.. Maybe I will keep both halfs of the beast different colors and when I make a vignette or small diorama I will create 2 halfs of a world. Like it's in the middle of transitioning between worlds.. Aaargh.. Choices, choices.. At least I get to pratice my glazing a lot this way ðŸ˜

• Like 8