It's like taking a course in Elf Evolution 101, with the Elven equivelents of Neandrathal, Cro-Magnon, and modern day Elves. :)

While not my thoughts exactly, it was the general idea.  Though, the eyes got smaller as they got younger?

good choice of figures and love the beginning base coat, nice and light and elfy.

Thanks, your work inspired to finally break out the older two.  Yep, I thought lighter skin tone for these minis would nice.

Nice selection, the Chainmail one is very interesting looking.

Indeed,  that was one of the reasons I got it back in the day.  Well that and they were on sale at my LGS.  I have several Chainmail figures: Several centaurs, a drow, a couple more elves, and a Minotaur.  I had though back last year to make a WIP of all my minotaur mini's and call it "STAMPEDE"  Maybe someday.

This will be a great WIP! So many ways to go on these selections!

Thanks.  I'm thinking springtime colors.  Mostly because I wanted to try out my SC 75 greens.  Though I was thinking of giving them some crazy hair colors.

Cool minis all.

Indeed.  The RP has a weapon swap with a space marine knife.  I didn't like the look the knife of the original.

• Like 5

All I managed to get accomplished on this group was the whites of their eyes.  Other's have recomened brown liner to line the eyes.  With a darker skin tone I might typically agree.  But I feel it looks to dark for my taste.  So I decided to line the eyes with a mix of RMS Bloodstain Red and their original skin color.  So far it look OK to me.

post-12625-0-75156900-1455939327.jpg

post-12625-0-81130200-1455939314.jpg

post-12625-0-09716600-1455939305.jpg

• Like 13

Tonight I decided to finish up the eyes on these guys.  Decided to keep the same eye color on them all, green.  I also gave the skin a lining wash.

Here is the RP Elf eyes all a green:

post-12625-0-86644600-1456016239.jpg

Next up we have the chainmail elf eyeing her target:

post-12625-0-95215900-1456016225.jpg

Finally we have the reaper elf.  She has a bow to be assembled later.  So I painted up her eyes.  Then I couldn't stop myself so I painted up her face.  Guess she is kinda miffed that she doesn't have her bow.  Someday I think I need to research 2d art on painting facial expressions to try enhance existing expressions.

post-12625-0-27328800-1456016214.jpg

• Like 19

I love how you start to get lifelike results early in these WIPs with the simplest of steps. Well, and the eyes, of course, which are not simple at all but bring the characters alive.

• Like 2

They're looking great and good call on not using a darker color on the eyes. I think the brown liner would have been too dark.

Thanks

I love how you start to get lifelike results early in these WIPs with the simplest of steps. Well, and the eyes, of course, which are not simple at all but bring the characters alive.

Thanks, I like to start with the face for just that reason.  Eyes are getting easier.  Note: easier, not easy (-5 is warmer than -10 but still not warm to me)

Agreed with Pingo, small steps can have a big impact. Looking forward to this WIP progressing!

Hope I don't disappoint.  More to follow.  Not much time to paint the last 2 days.  I did managed to squeeze in some time tonight.  Face and skin on the other 2 are finished.  Photo's to follow in a bit.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      As mentioned in the Rabbits topic, when I first saw 03929: Drangus, Duckman Warrior, I knew I'd found the opposition for my Rabbits.  
      The problem is, duckmen don't seem nearly as common as Rabbits.
      This is my current "army".

That's two copies of Drangus and Oathsworn's duck-billed platypus (it's got a bill so close enough!!).

So far my quick search has only tracked down one set of Duckmen, by Rebel Minis (bookmarked!!).
      I'm hoping Reaper will expand their Duckman line in the comming months as well (please?).

I'll be doing a weapon swap on one of the two Drangus's (Drangi?) to make them a little different.
      So if you know of any more Duckmen figs, or just duck figs, or really any associated waterfowl or waterfowlmen, feel free to let me know. 

• By 72moonglum
      So just finished this figure last night.  This is part of a set of four Shadowrun figures that I've been painting recently, the biggest and most time-consuming of the quartet. He didn't have lots of metal, but he's such a big figure the sword and the arm brace kind of are very obvious, so hope they turned out well.  I think they're a little too blue, but that's just the way they turned out.  Anyhoos, enjoy this little Cyclops and his murderous ways!

• By Xiwo Xerase
      This was originally not one a mini I planned to paint.  However, I got two in an auction lot and the base fits well with one of my few base stamps (in this case, the Happy Seppuku Stone Shore stamp) so... why not?

(click for larger versions)

This is the state she is in now.  She's been primed and a thin coat of Brown Liner (1 part Wash Medium, 1 part Brown Liner, 1 part water) has been painted on top to bring out details.  (I found a mold line I missed on the side of her knee and relined her legs with a thicker coat of Brown Liner, because I forgot the original mix.  The thicker mix is not likely to obscure detail when painting but it does make it harder to see in these pictures.  Oops.)

(Note to self: Get a non-grey background for these pictures in the future.)

I've decided her doublet, pants, boots, and gloves are leather.  Her doublet and pants are stitched in the front and are worn over more normal clothes.  (Both her doublet and pants have obvious stitching in the front and the alternative is undesirable in a family friendly environment.)  Her shirt includes her loose poofy sleeves.  (Which are probably good for a rogue since they mask the shape of her arms.)  I believe the most interesting detail missing from her store page is her knife holster on her left leg.

I wasn't entirely sure what to use for colors so I did a mockup using my paint program.  The knife in her holster will not be visible from this side but I included them to get an idea for how they would look.

(click for a larger version)

The current colors are: (all paints are Reaper MSP or Bones)
      Skin: Youthful Flesh Hair: Blond Hair Doublet, boots, and knife handles: Ruddy Leather Pants and gloves: Nut Brown Belt, stitches, and other leather accents: Leather Brown Shirt and sleeves: Dark Elf Skin Blades: This is one of the colors from the Blade Steel swatch Floor: Dungeon Grey  
      The focuses for this mini are her face, her hair, textures (leather and wood), and NMM for the metal bits.  Let's see how this goes.
    • By Guildenstern
      Been working pretty steadly though bad about keeping up pics!

Did these guys (mostly done) in January. They are GW minis from the Battle at Pelennor Fields Lords of the Ring starter set.

I started on these guys closer to end of the month, as well:

They're for my Luna Wolves, first guy is the Terminator sarge (which I'm painting along with some other terminators from the Burning of Prospero box set)

This guy is a resin cast Apothecary from FW I bought off ebay - he's got a pretty bad mold slip along one leg, but otherwise is a really cool model. I'm trying to paint his little vials and bottles to be more realistic like glass full of ... well, something. He has a lot of detail on him!

• By Kangaroorex
      yet another dragon.  this one is an old piece i had most of and decided to go with what i had rather than trying to find the basket.  A fun little piece that I tried to do up as a sky dragon.  My first attempt at a starscape on the back of the wings to give them some interest.  Hope everyone enjoys!

• Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 86 Guests (See full list)