djizomdjinn

Djinn's 2016-2017 Art

30 posts in this topic

I draw lots of stuff, but I don't post most of it here.

Why not change that?

GwGvcSx.jpg

Been practicing faces recently. Learned this interesting trick with colors to increase contrast. Hopefully self-explanatory with the bars in the corner.

XESgsPY.jpg

5 x 7". The thing with canvas boards at small sizes is that the canvas texture gets really rough in proportion. So I tried making my own, stretching muslin over some hardboard and covering the whole thing with some clear gesso (as not to cover up my pencil sketch. It seems to have worked well, except the unbleached muslin had a few fuzzballs in it. Still, not bad for something I can get for 2 bucks a yard.

Anyways, this is an acrylic underpainting for what will be an oil painting (never used oil seriously before). I had another underpainting in oil, except I made the mistake of using ivory black, and it's not drying anytime soon. Whoops.

Edited by djizomdjinn
16 people like this

Wowww! :wub: I really love that bottom one! You have so many shades of the same color but you can still tell what is skin and what isn't! That's cool!

Very good!

I'm not an artist myself, but I love to look at it.

Wish I could draw like that.

1 person likes this

Wish I could draw like that.

You can, but you have to persevere past the initial stages where things suck and your hand can't do what your mind wants it to. Creativity helps, but drawing is at its heart a technical skill that can be trained by anyone. Even the guys with very little natural talent in my drawing class have come a long way in just 6 classes.
4 people like this

On your blog - I love your sketch of the elven archer on the elk!! I have such a deep love for that archetype that it's something I want to sculpt one day. Elves on big animal mounts are just the best.

And your queen with the sword is such a babe. :wub:

1 person likes this

lTL8No7.jpg

So unused to oil painting's wait three days until the thing dries, then you can add the next layer. Always used to acrylic and digital, work fast, finish fast.

I don't think people tend to oil paint on postcard sized canvases, though.

7 people like this

Clouds are always fun. The lighting is killing me though. Still a work in progress.

tumblr_o3wnqyz4Hv1ubfwpqo1_1280.jpg

7 people like this

Finished... I guess?

Not particularly proud of it. I guess oil just is not for me, fine art pretensions aside. I want to put down paint and work and work and work on things and paint over and try again but if you try that with oil all you do is turn it into brown sludge. I can see this being great for methodical painters, but for my painting style which more or less can be put down as "fail until you succeed"... oil isn't really for me.

tumblr_o4f45zQjdW1ubfwpqo1_500.jpg

Edited by djizomdjinn
5 people like this

Been trying to improve at digital painting so long. It's been a while since I sat down to work out a sketch.

tumblr_o5zk4gZuGN1ubfwpqo1_1280.jpg

6 people like this

Cool, I was wanting to see more of your work. :)

Haven't touched this in a while.

tumblr_o47y47eejB1ubfwpqo1_540.jpg

Silk is such a fun fabric to paint.

tumblr_o6g0uoIvZD1ubfwpqo2_540.jpg

Really, she'd rather be dressed in a nice comfy, warm, wool robe working on her thesis, but even a double major in Necromancy and Conjuring isn't enough these days. And that means networking, which means hanging out with crusty old liches twenty times her age talk about the good old days while dressed in a slinky cocktail dress and pretending she likes drinking wine. :mellow: .

tumblr_o8i0b6UtHp1ubfwpqo1_540.jpg

4 people like this

Classes, new workplace, and other projects have all conspired to keep me from doing much of anything for the last few months. No progress in mini painting, for example.

But I have managed to eke out a bit of time for more art.

tumblr_odbntxqbuH1ubfwpqo1_1280.jpg

5 people like this

Something inspired by John William Waterhouse.

riKGvRn.jpg

Incidentally, that bayonet in her hands? I... impulse bought one. Didn't come with a scabbard though, so i decided to make a Japanese-inspired one. Yellow birch and cocobolo.

tumblr_oexvnqD4FY1ubfwpqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oexvnqD4FY1ubfwpqo2_1280.jpg

6 people like this

Nice on both subjects!

4OxNRZo.jpg

Another knife. Handle's a South American wood called curupay or cebil; the end caps are verawood, and the sheath is once again birch (same plank, actually).

6 people like this