knarthex

Rosemary & Co Brushes Questions

Hey folks!

Was Just looking at the Rosemary & Co site for brushes, and there is a super abundance of stuff listed there!

Now it is not going to all be worth using in our hobby, so I am wondering what specific lines and brushes people use from this company.

Thanks!

George

• Like 2

I just got a order from them on Monday, I won't have time to try them until Friday or Saturday.

Series 78. Pure Sable Angular Liner/Side Loader

- Size: 1/8"

Series 56. Pure Kolinsky Short Flats

- Size: 1

Series 91. Pure Sable Filbert

- Size: 0

Series 33. Pure Kolinsky Pointed

- Size: 3/0

Series 33. Pure Kolinsky Pointed

- Size: 2/0

Series 88. Pure Sable Riggers

- Size: 10/0

Series 88. Pure Sable Riggers

- Size: 2/0

Series 99. Pointed Pure Sable

- Size: 2

Series 99. Pointed Pure Sable

- Size: 1

The Series 33, 99, and 92 are the standard round type like a Winsor & Newton Series 7.

The Series 22 are also rounds but they don't go as small and cost more but might be of interest to those who prefer larger brushes.

I got them after trying a Series 33. Pure Kolinsky Pointed 10/0 and a couple of the Series 92. Micro Red Sable (10/0 and 7/0) and found I liked them a lot.

I really like the Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes as well but they are more expensive than the Rosemary & Co. brushes so I only have two.

The two Raphael brushes I tried did not hold their shape well so I don't expect I will get any more of them.

I felt better expanding my brush selection with the less expensive Rosemary & Co. brushes (the Filbert was the most expensive at $4.97) since I don't know exactly which type or size I prefer yet.

I was also overwhelmed by the selection but was able to make sense of it after talking to a friend of mine who is a much better and more experienced painter than I am.

He wanted to try some Rosemary & Co. brushes after I talked to him so I ordered some for him when I got mine.

I just gave them to him after work on Wednesday so he has not had a chance to try them yet.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 1

I use the Series 33's but they will also make you a custom brush if you ask. I have a few travel brushes made by them that aren't on their website. They are a great company to work with.

• Like 1

To follow up my comment at the end of the linked thread: I now pretty much exclusively use Rosemary & Co Series 33 in size 0 and 1. Still like my W&N (I have an older batch stocked up), but I don't see any reason to reach for anything else right now (well, when I get back to mini painting).

Since I've heard W&N quality has taken a dip (hopefully temporary) and there's a price difference in favor of R&C, I highly recommend them.

• Like 3

Also keep in mind the WAMP brushes are made by R&C.  And I really like mine and others have also commented favorably on them as well.  Essentially the great R&C brushes with design changes by a miniature painter it seems.

• Like 2

I haven't read the linked thread, but thought I would add that Jessica Rich uses the R&Co. Series 33 size 0, according to her Dark Sword video tutorials.  In fact, she said that's the only brush she uses, so that's saying something for its versatility.  She keeps several around, and she gets 3-4 months of service from a brush, painting 40-50 hours a week.  Then it becomes a priming brush or drybrush.

The only R&Co. brush I've used is a WAMP Basecoat brush, and it is a fine brush for almost any kind of painting.  For a "basecoat" brush, it has a remarkable point.  The point is about as sharp as a Raphael 8404 #0.  The WAMP brush is longer, though, and holds more paint.  I've just begun using it, but I'm sure it will get more use when I need more brush capacity.

• Like 2

I would like to try the WAMP brushes as well.

When I looked into them I found they were out of stock of almost all I was interested in.

If that changes I might get some in the future.

Just pulled the trigger on a WAMP order....

Product                                   Model  Quantity  

Ali McVey Blender No1 Brush  WB11     1  

Fine Detail Brush                     WB01     1  

Fine Freehand Brush              WB08     1    

Wonder how long they will take to get here....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 2

Just pulled the trigger on a WAMP order....

Product                                   Model  Quantity  

Ali McVey Blender No1 Brush  WB11     1  

Fine Detail Brush                     WB01     1  

Fine Freehand Brush              WB08     1    

Wonder how long they will take to get here....

Mine came pretty quick!  I order from the UK frequently and am always impressed with shipping times.

• Like 1

+1 for WAMP.  That was definitely a KS worth backing.  My W&NS7 have been gathering dust ever since.

Also have had good luck with reasonable shipping times from the UK. 

• Like 3

I used my new Rosemary & Co. brushes today to continue work on a Burrowing Horror I started earlier.

img_0329_corrections_cropped_resized_462 img_0339_corrections_cropped_resized_350

img_0335_corrections_cropped_resized_650 img_0337_corrections_cropped_resized_650

They are nice and stiff and hold their shape very well which I like a lot.

I was able to paint with the very tip of the Series 33 3/0 which I have not had much luck with using other brushes before.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 2

As a point of reference, this was painted with a R&C size 1 or 0 (I don't remember which!):

Gwen_WIP_15.jpg

If you don't know HF minis, she's on the small side of modern minis. Here's a scale shot I found on google, she's the second from the left:

X4WKYAW.jpg

• Like 5

So with the GBP at a low, I pulled the trigger on these...

3/0

2/0

0 x 2

1 x 2

With shipping from England, under $50!

Ordered on july 7th, they were here by July 13!

Very much liking all of them so far, love the short handlers....

Points are quite nice, good belly....

We will see how the durability is as they get used....

If in doubt, or thinking about it....

ACT NOW!!!!!

George

• Like 3