knarthex

Rosemary & Co Brushes Questions

I have used Rosemary for years.  my personal favorites are hidden away in the oil section and are the Masters Choice.  Long ago, the owner bought a huge quantity of mongoose hair and is about the only place you can get it any more.  I really like the snap on them, I think they have a lot more than a sable brush and a brush will usually last me about 40 miniatures before it starts to fray so they really last. 

That said, I get pretty much all my brushes from her, except for my junk brushes for doing washes and drybrushing.  the only brush I have never liked of the ones I tried were the Eclipse.

• Like 1

Prices...

A DaVinci Series 10, #0 is £5.71 at Jacksons.

A Raphael 8404 #0 is £6 on Jacksons.

A Winsor & Newton Series 7 #0 is £8.20

A Rosemary & Co Series 33, #0 is £4.25 on the R&C website. (£3.54 without VAT)

I think Jacksons also handles VAT correct, though.

(UK VAT is currently 20% I think )

Now, Jacksons have 'Free worldwide shipping' on brush orders over £20.

An order of 10 R&C brushes cost me £10 in shipping

On the other hand, R&C have some sweet sets for the beginning miniature painter.

And Jacksons doesn't always have all the smaller sizes in stock.

Can't say I see the 2x to 3x price difference.

Prices...

A DaVinci Series 10, #0 is £5.71 at Jacksons.

A Raphael 8404 #0 is £6 on Jacksons.

A Winsor & Newton Series 7 #0 is £8.20

A Rosemary & Co Series 33, #0 is £4.25 on the R&C website. (£3.54 without VAT)

I think Jacksons also handles VAT correct, though.

(UK VAT is currently 20% I think )

Now, Jacksons have 'Free worldwide shipping' on brush orders over £20.

An order of 10 R&C brushes cost me £10 in shipping

On the other hand, R&C have some sweet sets for the beginning miniature painter.

And Jacksons doesn't always have all the smaller sizes in stock.

Can't say I see the 2x to 3x price difference.

I'm talking about US prices. This doesn't apply to those of you overseas in the EU where you have to pay VAT and the W&N/DaVinci/Raphael aren't marked up quite a bit by suppliers.

Here in the US to get W&N, DaVinci, or Raphael we pay about $14-17 PER brush. When we order from R&CO we pay about $4-5 PER brush, we don't pay the VAT tax because we aren't subject to it. We pay shipping whether it's from the UK for R&CO brushes or shipping if it's a supplier online at some place like Jerry's or Dick Blicks where most of us get our nice brushes (unless we spend over a certain amount like $100).

Ordering from Rosemary & Co.

No brush I ordered was more than $5.25 US

My total for 7 brushes and shipping was US $45

Series 33

1x2

0x2

2/0

3/0

I have test driven them all, and I am quite impressed with them.

I may do a stock up order after I get paid again. ..

Did you, or have you, tried the series 22?

I like the 33s I have, but there are a few instances where they're too long, and I think I'd want some shorter ones, which the 22s seem to be. Looking for anyone's opinion here =) I won't be ordering new ones for a while, but when I do, I may get a mix if people can recommend the 22 as well.

I got myself 5 brushes for $45 as well, but I got 2 #1s and 3 #2s. So far, they're doing really well! I can tell they won't last as long as my cherished W&N7, but still, they're really really good brushes.

*edit* too long - I don't mean the handle, I mean the hair itself.

Edited by Guildenstern
  • Like 1

Jacksons seems to handle VAT correctly(deducts it from orders outside UK /EU ), and their 'free shipping' on brush orders above £20($30 ?) is also valid for US customers.

My problem with Jacksons is that I have problems ordering just brushes. There's always something else I just have to have...

• Like 3

Ordering from Rosemary & Co.

No brush I ordered was more than $5.25 US

My total for 7 brushes and shipping was US $45

Series 33

1x2

0x2

2/0

3/0

I have test driven them all, and I am quite impressed with them.

I may do a stock up order after I get paid again. ..

Did you, or have you, tried the series 22?

I like the 33s I have, but there are a few instances where they're too long, and I think I'd want some shorter ones, which the 22s seem to be. Looking for anyone's opinion here =) I won't be ordering new ones for a while, but when I do, I may get a mix if people can recommend the 22 as well.

I got myself 5 brushes for $45 as well, but I got 2 #1s and 3 #2s. So far, they're doing really well! I can tell they won't last as long as my cherished W&N7, but still, they're really really good brushes.

*edit* too long - I don't mean the handle, I mean the hair itself.

I have not tried the series 22.

These are the first brushes I got from them, and honestly, I have not used any of my other brushes since....

I have a bunch of W&N Series 7 MINIATURE brushes, and they sit in a drawer unused as the short hair and lack of belly on them means I am to busy adding paint to the brush instead of painting....

So I am not a fan of short haired brushes....

YMMV of course....

George

The #2 is about the size of a regular 3/0....

• Like 1

According to their site the 22's points are supposed to be longer and thinner than the 33's. In my last order I got a 0 to test and found that they are similar but the 22 seems to have a bigger belly. I actually started using it tonight and did not realize I had grabbed the 22. Here is a comparison picture. The 22 is on the right.

post-13093-0-75667500-1469245674_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Finally got around to looking up the brushes on their website. My jaw dropped at the variety and prices.

I'll need to be back home to look at my current brushes to get an idea of the dimensions I need. But when a #2 Kolinsky Sable only costs $~10CDN, which is more than half the price of an equivalent WNS7 in Canada at my regular place, I won't hesitate in ordering extras.

Now to figure out which series I want. Series 22; 33; 8; 441? Even with the dimension charts, and acknowledging that I can mix and match series, it's still a shame that I can't get a feel of them in-store.

But if I understand the descriptions correctly, for similar dimensions:

- Series 8 has a bigger belly. Good for holding more paint for base coating

- Series 22 is more slender with a very fine point. Good for finer detail

- Series 33 is the middle ground. Good sized belly, and a nice point. A workhorse brush. Also the least expensive.

- Series 441 is made for lining, slender but without being too long like the series 44.

When people talk about the brush industry having to size standard, Rosemary's charts make it quite clear that it is indeed the case. But then again, it's the same deal in the clothing industry. It's not so much an exact size than a size range.

• Like 2

I went 'all 33' in my first order, and I figure that's not too bad an idea.

I may add one or two Series 8 in my next order, if I decide that they're the brushes for me. With possibly a Seires 22 and a 441 for more detail work.

• Like 2

I took a flyer on these and ordered a bunch. Fingers crossed. I ordered the series 33 because those are allegedly the most like the shape of w&n s7.

• Like 1

I went with Series 33 because that's what I saw Jessica Rich using at Reapercon and do not regret my decision as they became my primary brush immediately after using one.

• Like 4

I'm currently using a no.3 Series 33.

My first experience with R&Co brushes wasn't exactly good. That was back when I was still using spotters. I learned that the old Broken Toad brushes were made by R&Co so I ordered a few no.3's. After making a more ergonomic handle (my one complaint is that the handles are too narrow for my taste) it has now become my go to brush. I owe my wife a new highlighter though.

• Like 4

So we've talked about their Kolinsky brushes.  What about anything they make of lesser grade for other tasks) like dry brushing, etc)?

And other brush styles like flats and filberts?

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 1