Pippin

Frostgrave Chronomancer Warband (Updated 3/22/16)

So, I've got my thaumaturge warband that I'm completely sculpting, but that's going to take a while, so I assembled a second warband to start playing sooner.  I decided to go chronomancer with the idea that he and his apprentice travel through time and space recruiting members for the band.

I went with the Bones versions of Andre Durand and Nightslip for the wizard and apprentice.  I'll be removing his gun hand and making it something different, though I'm still a bit up in the air as to what.  For her, I'll be making one of her holsters a belt pouch and the other a sheathed dagger.  Her guns hands will be replaced by one hand posed as if casting a spell and the other holding an hourglass (because it's a chronomancer symbol, so I figure it works as her casting focus and he is sculpted with a pocket watch).

I have started the painting on the knight and treasure hunter.  The blue toned outfits will be a unifying theme for the band.  I'm hoping to get some painting time in this weekend.  If not, we have spring break coming up week after next, so I should have plenty of time then.

As a side note, big thanks to Chris for spending time chatting about Frostgrave and warbands to help me get ideas going and fleshing out concepts.  It's a big help to have a "voice of experience" to help guide me through my gaming/terrain/etc. questions  :=)

Comments, critiques, suggestions, thoughts, etc. always welcome.

post-13795-0-19079000-1457658400_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-79622400-1457658412_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-20655400-1457658428_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pippin
  • Like 7

You're welcome. I've enjoyed it!

Your warband is looking good!

I'll be interested to see how your modifications to the wizard and apprentice turn out. Are you going to be doing something with Andre's "power fist" hand, or leave it as is? It would be cool if you could make it something timey, but I can't think exactly what. :)

Edited by Chris Palmer

@Chris-His "power fist" thing (which somewhat reminds me of Hellboy) already has some indents around it, so I was thinking I may sculpt additional pocketwatches into some of those spots to give it more of a timey-whimey look.

@vegascat-Thanks!  I really like the color scheme as well.  I got a gunmetal blue paint, so some of the armor bits can actually be blue instead of the silver or gold I have used for pretty much every non-leather piece of armor I've painted so far.  You can see it on the knight's shoulder though the lighting isn't outstanding, so I don't know that it really looks all that blue.

• Like 2

I've made some progress!!

Given that my chrnomancr travels through time collecting members for his warband, I had a great idea to do a conversion on one of the Avatar of _______ minis (hadn't settled on which Osirion god to choose).  However, when I got to the game shop to get the mini, I discovered they were too large.  Undeterred, I got a 3 pack of skeletons and set to work fleshing one out to be my "Egyptian" warrior.  Literally fleshing him out, because skeleton.  It will require a decapitation and the sculpting of a new head with a proper Egyptian head dress and the nice neck band.  I'll also be crafting his shield into an Egyptian shape rather than the circular shape it presently has.  I gave a picture of the beginning of my conversion next to un unaltered version.

Following this, I started customizing a nice Legolas-looking elf mini I've had for quite some time to make him an archer from feudal Japan.  He'll be having some armor adjustments (the beginnings of this shown in the pictures below) and he'll also be getting a mustache, helmet, and paintjob to complete the look.

Finally, we get to the wizard and apprentice.  I sculpted the first of the pocket watches onto his massive gauntlet thing.  There will be three or four total.  My phone was having trouble focusing in on it, so if you can't quite make out the detail, it has the lines in the little knob to set the time as well as actual hands sculpted on.

The apprentice will be holding an hourglass, so I began by sculpting the shape of the "glass" portion on armature wire held in a pin vice.  After this had cured, I added a square to the top and did four sections of armature wire coming down.  That's what's seen in the picture.  I real time, I've already added the bottom square and am just waiting for that to cure.  I've also removed both of her hands and drilled holes in which to pin wire for new hands including the one which will hold the hourglass.

I'm really pleased with how things are going and hope to make even more progress tomorrow.  Thanks for looking!!

post-13795-0-33300100-1457838726_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-81093000-1457838736_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-96408600-1457838751_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-70322000-1457838761_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-73834500-1457838772_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-88036800-1457838781_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-49983800-1457838789_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So, I finally got through working on my chronomanacer warband (as well as getting my daughter's necromancer warband finished).  By "finished" and "got through" I mean good enough for now, but shading, washes, touch-ups, and the like will probably still happen.

The premise of the band is that the chronomancer and his apprentice travel through time gathering troops (though not gun-toting types as that just breaks the whole fantasy aspect for me).

I went ahead and just kept the name Andre Durand for the chronomancer and the apprentice is Jade Nightslip.

Next we have the Egyptian man-at-arms, Suhat Fahad and the Mongolian archer, Moyu Khan.

A pair of infantry troops comes in the form of the Viking warrior Helga Ulrich and the barbarian (who will eventually actually be a barbarian) Rolf Ulgar.

Finally, we have our knight (actually just another infantry troop for now) Lady Meredith DeWinter and the thief (soon to be treasure hunter) Carith Dodger.

I had originally planned to do all the troops with some sort of time piece incorporated, but rushed so we could start playing over spring break.  I did get the pocket watches done for Andre (though the faces aren't painted), the hourglass for Jade, and the sun dial on Suhat's shield.

Finally, we have a shot of the table set for my practice run (in which I learned that I'd misunderstood a couple of things, so it's good I got that out of the way).

C&C always welcome!

post-13795-0-47287500-1458693827_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-39703900-1458693843_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-16273800-1458693868_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-04816100-1458693885_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-33212300-1458693897_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-58114000-1458693921_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-80996700-1458693946_thumb.jpg

• Like 4