Talae

Starting a Kickstarter

I am thinking about beginning work on creating a board game. I would like to spend the development time period also researching things for the production and distribution of the game. It would be a boxed game with a game board, a player card, dice, and cardstock tokens (I would love minis but that sounds way to ambitious)...and maybe a few unique game pieces.

I would rather not get into more details at this point since I literally have not started at all yet with development. I just have some thoughts scribbled down. I just want to be as prepared as possible if things go as well for development as they are in my head...and the development/playtesting time will be long enough for me to get some serious research in along the way. 

I have backed quite a few Kickstarters and have seen things work well and things go poorly. If I get to the point that I am seriously looking to fund this, I want to be knowledgeable. 

Anyone have some pointers or places for me to go research before I step into the unknown search world of Google? 

• Like 3

Thanks!

Also, a do's and don't's of board game development would be handy too...if anyone knows of such a thing. I am going to spend a few days gathering suggestions from a few sources and then start my process of heavier research.

• Like 2

Have you seen Jamey Stegmaier's blog* over at Stonemaier Games?  He has an absolutely massive amount of information available, gleaned from personal experience from his various Kickstarter'd board games.  He covers his experiences on everything from how to design the campaign, stretch goals, worldwide shipping and fulfillment, backer communication, etc.  It sure doesn't hurt that the games he's developed are actually fun too.  :;):  If I were ever to start a board game destined for Kickstarter, his blog would likely be my primary reference.

* No link included as I don't want to break any commerce linking rules, but it should be easy enough to find.

• Like 8

I am thinking about beginning work on creating a board game. I would like to spend the development time period also researching things for the production and distribution of the game. It would be a boxed game with a game board, a player card, dice, and cardstock tokens (I would love minis but that sounds way to ambitious)...and maybe a few unique game pieces.

I would rather not get into more details at this point since I literally have not started at all yet with development. I just have some thoughts scribbled down. I just want to be as prepared as possible if things go as well for development as they are in my head...and the development/playtesting time will be long enough for me to get some serious research in along the way. 

I have backed quite a few Kickstarters and have seen things work well and things go poorly. If I get to the point that I am seriously looking to fund this, I want to be knowledgeable. 

Anyone have some pointers or places for me to go research before I step into the unknown search world of Google? 

The best advice I can give you Talae is to find a way to stop me from backing, if I do then you're project is doomed to failure.

Good luck with it.

• Like 3

I'd talk to some of the smaller companies who have done board games.. There's an amazing amount of support in the community for newer companies looking for advice.

• Like 3

The best advice I can give you Talae is to find a way to stop me from backing, if I do then you're project is doomed to failure.

Good luck with it.

So no Elf vs. Dwarf wargame where they fight over the rights to ride Beagles around?

• Like 6

Have you seen Jamey Stegmaier's blog* over at Stonemaier Games?  He has an absolutely massive amount of information available, gleaned from personal experience from his various Kickstarter'd board games.  He covers his experiences on everything from how to design the campaign, stretch goals, worldwide shipping and fulfillment, backer communication, etc.  It sure doesn't hurt that the games he's developed are actually fun too.  :;):  If I were ever to start a board game destined for Kickstarter, his blog would likely be my primary reference.

* No link included as I don't want to break any commerce linking rules, but it should be easy enough to find.

Added to the list. Thanks!

I'd talk to some of the smaller companies who have done board games.. There's an amazing amount of support in the community for newer companies looking for advice.

I am going to ask around at my FLGS after I get a little development under my belt. Also, I know there are a few local guys that have published games that I will try to hunt down.

Any specific suggestions? Feel free to pm me if you are not comfortable posting here.

Good luck with it.

So no Elf vs. Dwarf wargame where they fight over the rights to ride Beagles around?

Absolutely not, I'd be all over it

• Like 3

If they're just scribbles on notes, you don't have a game. You have a game when you've extensively playtested the game, including blind playtesting *and* strangers are asking you when you'll be running your next KS.

KS, of course, is not your only option. Go to game conventions and, besides running demos, run demos for game publishers (contact them ahead of time to know their schedules). 

Have you played the game much? Do you have a gaming group that wants to play the game? You also should build a social network (eg. reviews on BGG, PnP files on BGG) *long* before asking people for money.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 5

The Dice Tower has had some great videos regarding Kickstarter and publishing board games.  Episodes 117 and 118 of Board Game Breakfast, Tom Vasel (the producer/owner/main reviewer of the Dice Tower) talks about producing games in general.  Most of the videos are game reviews though so you may have to do some sifting.  

They also have a Board Game Business (formerly Forbidden Limb) series of podcasts which talk about producing board games in general, but they seemed to be aimed at Kickstarters and first time publishers.

You would probably want to be active on Board Game Geek if you are not already.  They have forums for board game design, though admittedly I don't know how good they are.  That isn't a part of their website that I frequent.  

Best of luck!!!

• Like 1

If they're just scribbles on notes, you don't have a game. You have a game when you've extensively playtested the game, including blind playtesting *and* strangers are asking you when you'll be running your next KS.

KS, of course, is not your only option. Go to game conventions and, besides running demos, run demos for game publishers (contact them ahead of time to know their schedules). 

Have you played the game much? Do you have a gaming group that wants to play the game? You also should build a social network (eg. reviews on BGG, PnP files on BGG) *long* before asking people for money.

I did not mean to imply that this would be soon. I am thinking long term and was just thinking that it would be a good idea to read up on advice for months and months instead of waiting until the gameis completed. No action, just reading.

I appreciate the sentiment though.

• Like 2

Lots of great advice above around what to do to get a Kickstarter ready.

However, given that you are still at the initial idea stage and don't have a board game yet , I wouldn't worry too much about Kickstarter at this moment in time.  There is lots of great advice available regarding KS but who knows what the situation will be like by the time you actually get to the KS stage (not in terms of what KS will look like but rather what KS best practice will look like).

For now, you need to focus on designing your game and building up a potential audience.  Ideally, you should have a group of people waiting to back you on KS even before you launch.  This basically means designing, testing, revising, more testing and repeat ad nauseum.  Eventually, you will get to the stage where you can start blind testing which means you can start hitting cons to get the game in front of people.  Naturally, the cycle of blind testing, revising, blind testing now repeats.

I don't know how long your particular game will take to develop but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple of years before you are even ready to go to crowd-funding.  I know of many boardgames that were in development for years before they were ready to be published.  This is particularly true if you already have a full time job!

Go on Board Game Geek and get active there.  There is no better place to keep abreast of the current trend in game design and what people like or don't like.  Pretty sure that a nightmare scenario would be developing a game then realising that people hate the mechanism you have (roll and move) or that there is another game that does exactly what you are trying to do (only better!).  If nothing else, by being active there, you will make friends who may be willing to help fund your project as they see you as part of the community.  

Lastly, BGG also has forums specifically for board game design.  I'm sure you can get lots of great advice in there as well.

Edit: One last thing.  Good Luck!!!

Edited by Jokemeister
  • Like 2

I greatly appreciate all of the advice so far! I will read up on all of it. I am definitely a long ways away from a product, but it is good to know there are resources out there to keep me working productively. I am not looking at any Kickstarter specifics at this point...just taking a survey of where I am hopefully headed as I take my first baby steps.

Thanks everyone! 

• Like 1