Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids, taking a shot at Reaper?

312 posts in this topic

Darn.  Buck-a-piece 28mm princesses sounded like an investment I was going to need to make immediately!

2 people like this

I welcome all miniatures to the hobby. I'll prob get some of these but really I wanna see what they offer first. Hopefully unlike Wiz's other lines they aren't blind box buys.

I agree.

2 people like this

"The more, the merrier" is my thought. If these are reasonably priced and you can see what you're getting I have no objection to more options being available.

5 people like this

Taking a shot?

No.

Borrowing a page?

Yes.

::P:

The success of Bones is pretty hard to miss.

The Auld Grump

6 people like this

I just wish they'd start doing this with their superhero figures. Though I assume licenses would prevent that.

4 people like this

As far as mold lines, dipped in primer go. I'd say these are geared toward gamers vs strict painters. Now of course the combo of the two does present the argument of they are there I want them gone before I paint...

The use of Vallejo primer is nice. Having used that before.

2 people like this

Well em4 had pre-primed minis for a while. I think it was a case of wherever they had them cast also primed then as well. Anyway, the mould lines had been removed from those minis as well, albeit roughly.

2 people like this

Dust also did pre-primed. They had varying degrees of success with it, but it was usually not a huge deal to clean up the moldlines with a knife and then spot prime on the seams.

I did some work for Wizkids back in the nineties. They hired me to examine, paint, and review their Mage Knight Unlimited unpainted boosters, and paid me in product.

Essentially they were unpainted and unprimed. You finished them yourself and attached them to the included dials. Otherwise, they were the same blind box product and rarities as the prepaints.

I liked 'em. You could see and make use of details without the awful cloggy paint jobs from the factory, and redo colors and textures at your whim without having to strip them (which was a trick and a half). Regrettably, they tanked at the FLGSes... the market wasn't much interested in the arts.

What I wanna know is which sculpts are they using? Are these recycled Mage Knight or something new? And are they blind packaging? I am older and more conservative, and uninclined to buy blind, as I did in the past.

If I can see what I'm getting, though, and if the price is reasonable, I wouldn't mind acquiring a few Storm Golems and mounted elven knights...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
3 people like this

I did some work for Wizkids back in the nineties. They hired me to examine, paint, and review their Mage Knight Unlimited unpainted boosters, and paid me in product.

Essentially they were unpainted and unprimed. You finished them yourself and attached them to the included dials. Otherwise, they were the same blind box product and rarities as the prepaints.

I liked 'em. You could see and make use of details without the awful cloggy paint jobs from the factory, and redo colors and textures at your whim without having to strip them (which was a trick and a half). Regrettably, they tanked at the FLGSes... the market wasn't much interested in the arts.

What I wanna know is which sculpts are they using? Are these recycled Mage Knight or something new? And are they blind packaging? I am older and more conservative, and uninclined to buy blind, as I did in the past.

If I can see what I'm getting, though, and if the price is reasonable, I wouldn't mind acquiring a few Storm Golems and mounted elven knights...

I was a big fan of that line. But it kind of hurt that they tested it on a reprint set as opposed to a new set.

1 person likes this

I actually have one of the mage knight unpainted orcs sitting on my desk waiting to be based as i type.  I only ever saw a few packs on sale back in my MK playing days.  I can confirm the unpainted plastics had allot more detail that what came out of the regular packs.  Their metal line with no clicky base was also very nice.

3 people like this

I was a big fan of that line. But it kind of hurt that they tested it on a reprint set as opposed to a new set.

Well, WizKids was always more of a GAME company than a minis outfit, in much the same way that Reaper is a minis outfit as opposed to a game company. Hell, I thought it was nice of WizKids to even try. I liked their metal line, too, but those were based off the awful first edition sculpts.

Wizkids sculpts have always been kind of hit or miss. They've had some great ones (including some salvaged from old Ral Partha originals!)... but I may never forget their bondage elves that looked like Olive Oyl.

5 people like this

What I wanna know is which sculpts are they using? 

I'd assume they are going to be the Pathfinder Battles and D&D Icons of the Realms sculpts.

2 people like this

WizKids just posted some pictures of new sculpts of Valeros, the Iconic Pathfinder Fighter, on their Facebook (sorry, can't link from work.  It looks like the normal and Mythic artwork for him.

I wonder what this will mean for Reaper's Pathfinder line, I know WizKids license was exclusively for pre-paints last time this was brought up...

1 person likes this

What I wanna know is which sculpts are they using? 

I'd assume they are going to be the Pathfinder Battles and D&D Icons of the Realms sculpts.

I was not impressed by the Icons sculpts. Too static.

I'd think Reaper will do just fine with painters unless the license gets yanked. I do be a bit confused as to why Pathfinder would license directly competing lines of minis...

2 people like this