Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids, taking a shot at Reaper?

312 posts in this topic

And as much as I hate to admit it, three or four bucks is impulse buy territory... as long as they aren't blind packs...

5 people like this

From the Wizkids site:

The collection will include iconic characters, creatures, and even scene-building elements, all available in three types of specialty packs that will each contain a variety of sculpts:

• Hero Packs will contain both a low-level and high-level sculpt of the same featured character.
  • Designed with army-building in mind, Monster Packs will contain 1-3 miniatures with different poses of a single monster.
  • Item Packs will contain scenery and items for detailing adventures.

I didn't see anything about whether they will be blind packs or not.

Three new ogres.....yes please!

Really though, these will be nice (along with bones) to fill the ranks of monsters that have always been cost prohibitive for the average DM to get in large amounts.

For me, it's a no brainer. Get 1 prepaint for $3-$15 (which I still repaint) or get 3 minis for $3-$4. It's why I love bones so much.

4 people like this

I'm certainly in the "will be worth looking at if not blind packs" camp.

3 people like this

Monsters and terrain I'd prolly go blind, even. At least for a while.

2 people like this

I'm kind of hoping for blind, but not randomly collated for terrain/items. Where the items are in useful groups, but you don't know which group it is.

2 people like this

I am interested if they are not sold in blind packs. I have no interest in buying stuff when I have no idea what I am getting.

9 people like this

I suspect that if they show up in bookstores (Books-A-Million! to be specific) then my good lady will be getting them for both of us.

The Auld Grump

3 people like this

Well, if anything, I hope they do the Pathfinder Iconics who haven't been covered in Bones yet.

2 people like this

Given the description and price point, I fully expect these to be collectible sets.  150 figures in a set, $3-$4 per pack, for 2-4 figures per pack, this being Wizkids...  There's really not a lot to indicate this won't be collectible.  I would love to be wrong, but it's not looking likely.

That said, cutting out the pre-painting side should make the models look significantly better, and they do tend to have some pretty decent sculpts - but this could all be countered by applying the primer with wanton abandon, so we could just see things stay on par with their other products. 

1 person likes this

True, but if they're using Vallejo primer, then, in theory at least, one should be able to remove it just like one would remove paint; a bath in the paint stripper of your choice.

1 person likes this

Read on the Paizo forums that they won't be blind.

These miniatures won't affect Reaper any more than any other plastic miniatures have. Mold line and gap filling take time, spray priming doesn't.

I'm looking forward to terrain. While the characters market is saturated with sculpts, monsters are less so (thank goodness for Bones), and terrain even less. I'd like to see WK go into making game tiles!

vfults on Dakka says the pics are of actual mini's. We'll see!

Edited by ced1106
6 people like this

I can't imagine why I would want Wizkids to prime my stuff for me.

Otherwise, these seem like a good idea.

1 person likes this

yeah not sure I understand exactly the appeal of the "pre-primed" aspect (vs naked) but otherwise sounds good to me....

1 person likes this

Same thing that makes bones appealing, for some casual minis painters (or non painters) priming is kind of a pain, and if done badly it can wreck the mini before you even start painting.

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
2 people like this