Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

411 posts in this topic

That griffon is pretty nice, but it's hard to beat the Bones Griffon...one of the best models in the line IMHO...

Damon.

1 person likes this

I am very impressed with the Wiz Kids figures.  Very sharp, distinct classes, and at least from Bones 1, the faces of most the figures are sharp, clean, and defined unlike Bones 1.

36 minutes ago, skippen said:

I am very impressed with the Wiz Kids figures.  Very sharp, distinct classes, and at least from Bones 1, the faces of most the figures are sharp, clean, and defined unlike Bones 1.

I will admit the chain shirt the bugbear I posted is wearing has some nice fine details to him as well. Granted there are some areas on him that aren't as defined but I was impressed with that part.

Having now been able to check out the entire line in my FLGS, I think the humanoid figures are very hit or miss. Some of 'em are pretty good looking, some of 'em have some VERY soft detail. One of the dwarven fighters I looked at had no face from the eyes down; I suppose it could have beard, but it was really hard to tell.

On the other hand, I liked all of the monsters I saw ( the store had sold out of a few ).

By the way, they can be repositioned using the Bones 'boil and set' routine.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Having now been able to check out the entire line in my FLGS, I think the humanoid figures are very hit or miss. Some of 'em are pretty good looking, some of 'em have some VERY soft detail. One of the dwarven fighters I looked at had no face from the eyes down; I suppose it could have beard, but it was really hard to tell.

On the other hand, I liked all of the monsters I saw ( the store had sold out of a few ).

By the way, they can be repositioned using the Bones 'boil and set' routine.

My hope is that the game store will have restocked with more monsters when I go back there in a couple of weeks.

1 person likes this

Same here.

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I feel the same way about bones as well. To the point where I don't buy those sorts of figures in Bones but rather in metal. The medium, however, is GREAT for monsters, especially the big 'uns. I have the green & red dragons in Bonzium, as well as more driders than you can shake a stick at, as well as others. When there are new Bones releases, I look at the monsters most eagerly out of them all. Same with these new figures (though it's been pretty lite so far on that front...)

Damon.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

My hope is that the game store will have restocked with more monsters when I go back there in a couple of weeks.

Bah, the FLGS I went to had none.

GW minis, yes. Pathfinder boxed minis, yes. But no D&D ones.

On the plus side, they finally have Green Stuff (Reaper's, GW's, and Army Painters). This is the same store that several months ago thought that GS was a paint color. So minis is not exactly their field of specialty (comics and collectables though...).

Edited by Cranky Dog
2 people like this

Meh. More of these things I see, the more I tend to think, "Well, Reaper learnt some important lessons from this whole making plastic figures thing... now it's someone else's turn."

1 person likes this

I just finished painting one of the female elf sorceresses, and I found some of the detail in the renders is not there at all.  Along her cloak, there was supposed to be a cool border pattern, that I didn't see at all, plus her braids looked like lumps on the top of the cloak.  I am still happy with the mini for the price, but don't expect all the cool little detail to survive the reality of the mold making and the primer coat. The face is nice, the overall stance on the one I finished first is nice and dynamic, and the clear spell effect is very cool.

6 people like this

Just got the deadlock troll and displacer beast at the complete strategist today....

4 people like this

On 4/20/2017 at 9:36 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

We ordered a restock for all SKUs in the line 60 days ago, the containers hit port on the May 9th, clear customs on the 11th be in our warehouse on the 12th and then on to distribution by the 14th.  Expect replenishments at FLGS within 3-10 days after the 14th depending on store location and proximity to their distributor. 

Justin

7 people like this

23 minutes ago, jziran said:

We ordered a restock for all SKUs in the line 60 days ago, the containers hit port on the May 9th, clear customs on the 11th be in our warehouse on the 12th and then on to distribution by the 14th.  Expect replenishments at FLGS within 3-10 days after the 14th depending on store location and proximity to their distributor. 

Justin

Unfortunately I can only go to the FLGS this weekend because it's 2 hours away, but thank you for the information! The details are fantastic, and I appreciate the clarity.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, jziran said:

Justin

All About Games in Boise ID will appreciate that news.

2 people like this

18 hours ago, jziran said:

Justin

Interesting that you can guarantee 2 day Customs clearance while Reaper has to allow up to 30 days.  Do they have a thing like TSA where you can pay a "leave me alone" fee?

3 people like this