Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

431 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Prepare for a lot of undecisiveness and "these are good buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut".

ah yes I remember now.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

The critter packs have been pretty solid. I got one with a wolf, a badger, and a bat that had no flaws of note.

also, snake tail guy looks like the villain from the 80 gi joe movie. so I'm going to need to get one to pair with my cobra commander.

You have Cobra Commander in 28mm?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

I don't really know of any FLGS that'd have this. I know of Chez Geek downtown but they didn't carry much in terms of minis (specifically because it's now easier to order online) last time I visited. No idea if that's changed now that these are out.

So I'd probably be stuck gambling with an online purchase....

Try BD Cosmos in Laval. They were my local source for Bones miniatures when I lived in Montreal (though that was over 2 years ago). So D&D figures should be easy to come by.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Hasslefree does a science fiction villain that sports a military uniform and wears a helmet with a smooth reflective faceplate.

28 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Try BD Cosmos in Laval.

Laval kinda stops being "local" for anyone without a car.

Edited by BlazingTornado
3 people like this

7 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Yes I have two, one that's a conversion and the hasslefree one. 

1 person likes this

Personally the WizKids lines of unpainted miniatures seem to have some minor problems but overall they are decent. This may have something with me looking carefully at the minis before buiyng. Most of the fine detail is obscure on the figurines, this ranges from patterns to fingers. The mold lines can range from nonexistant to sever. There are some miss casts, for example a griffin had one of his claws have a giant air bubble. The conections between different parts varry from mini to mini, but as long as you look at the product before buying you should be able to avoid most of the problems.

The sculpts range from boring to dynamic, in the end it is a matter of persona opinnion. From the current line I really like human rouge miniatures. I am currently painting the female rouges and thought some of the detail is lost (damn the belts and belt buckles) overall I am pleased with them.

1 person likes this

On 8/3/2017 at 10:13 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

Here's Destro:

50002.jpg

You know what to do..... ::D:

2 people like this

That looks a bit more like a clean-shaven Gung-Ho to me.

There is a good heroic mute ninja commando around here however...

50082_w_1.jpg

3 people like this

Actually the head shape is perfect on that one. I got it when Chrono first became a line for Reaper & it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw him. About the only thing you'd need to do is putty in a collar.

As far the Wizkids stuff, besides the hell hound that is now a WIP limbo that I showed on here, I've started one of the bugbears (the one with armor & holding a mace, warhammer, etc etc) & details have up & down on him. Fantastic chainmail detail but his face is pretty much not there. Scale skirt has details but some of the straps holding his vambraces are kinda just strips. I will say the Vallejo primer is holding up nicely to the paints I'm using.

1 person likes this

I dunno, I think most Stormcast Eternal heads, stripped of the strange halos/headdresses, would be better starting points for Destro heads.

1 person likes this

The main problem I have with this line of figures is the lack of detail in parts and the not knowing exactly what parts of the figure actually are. Pricepoint isn't terrible but putting bones vs nolzurs I would pick bones everytime. The one upside is they do have licensed figures so you can buy exact DnD figures like Dragonborn and yuan-ti and the likes that are fairly accurate representations of the MM figures.

1 person likes this