Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

431 posts in this topic

12809522_10153722665509079_7002563242751

Here's the new sculpts for Madmartigan...I mean, Valeros!

Oddly, I think the one on the right is the Advanced version, as that is how he's drawn in the Mythic Pathfinder books...

7 people like this

Some of the later Mage Knight expansions had old Ral Partha sculpts in them.  I wonder if Wizkids still has those.

I was the only one buying MK Unlimited unpainted packs at my local store.  I ended up getting the rest of the case at a big discount, after they sat there for a few months.  Never did do much with them though, unlike the Mage Knight Metals line which I really got into and painted up a few armies worth.  The interesting thing about MK Metals was that some were entirely different sculpts from the plastic line (in a good way).

2 people like this

What I wanna know is which sculpts are they using?

I'd assume they are going to be the Pathfinder Battles and D&D Icons of the Realms sculpts.

I was not impressed by the Icons sculpts. Too static.

I'd think Reaper will do just fine with painters unless the license gets yanked. I do be a bit confused as to why Pathfinder would license directly competing lines of minis...

Not putting all their eggs in one basket, perhaps?

Noodling around Paizo some while ago, I noted that they seemed to have both Reaper figures and some other manufacturer making prepainted plastic minis, sometimes of the same characters.

2 people like this

I've been terribly underwhelmed by their pre-paints, so hopefully the sculpts on their unpainteds will be good all around.  

1 person likes this

12809522_10153722665509079_7002563242751

Here's the new sculpts for Madmartigan...I mean, Valeros!

Oddly, I think the one on the right is the Advanced version, as that is how he's drawn in the Mythic Pathfinder books...

It is.

Those look pretty nice. Crisp details. Are those prototypes?

Pingo

Wiz kids makes their prepaint line.

3 people like this

I'd assume they're still prototypes, and knowing WizKids, the final product could vary wildly.

2 people like this

I'd assume they're still prototypes, and knowing WizKids, the final product could vary wildly.

Most of time all I ever see are colored digital renders. Which look great but the final product always is off (see the goblin archer & dwarf wizard from the last couple Pathfinder battles line). Still without bad factory colors, hoping for the best.

2 people like this

A few quotes from Paizo's Blog:

"Our partners at WizKids, who have already produced nearly a dozen sets of prepainted plastic Pathfinder Battles releases, announced on Tuesday that they are launching a brand-new line of unpainted plastic miniatures based on their two popular fantasy miniatures licenses—Pathfinder and Dungeons & Dragons, along with some original unbranded dungeon scenery!

In all the new unpainted figure line will launch with more than 150 unique sculpts, and is scheduled for a fourth-quarter 2016 release."

"Each pack will be priced from $2.99-$3.99, depending on the size and number of figures included."

And also:

"The launch of WizKids new unpainted figure line will not impact either of Paizo's two existing miniatures lines, Pathfinder Battles from WizKids and Pathfinder Miniatures from Reaper. As the new figures will use completely new sculpts and poses, there should be very little overlap with existing figures, though it's safe to assume that some familiar faces are certain to appear in the new line."

10 people like this

Sounds like Paizo just be getting them licensing $$$$'s everywhere!

I'm all for new stuff, especially if it'll be good on the wallet. Glad to hear it (supposedly) wont affect Reaper's line, though. It produces a lot of their best sculpts, imo.

3 people like this

I actually have one of the mage knight unpainted orcs sitting on my desk waiting to be based as i type.  I only ever saw a few packs on sale back in my MK playing days.  I can confirm the unpainted plastics had allot more detail that what came out of the regular packs.  Their metal line with no clicky base was also very nice.

I've got a few of the non painted plastic ones around here, as well as 1 of the metal ones. Both are quite nice, and much better than the pre-paints. IMO anyway.

If the picture above is truly indicative of what the line will be like, it'll certainly be worth looking into.

1 person likes this

I hate to sound like a jerk, but my speedpaint tabletops are better than any prepaints I've ever seen. That being said, if the sculpts are good, the figures catch my eye, and they aren't blind packs, I might consider it.

Part of the problem is the business model. Wizkids isn't happy unless the plebes are buying the things in boxcar lots. Minis are largely a niche business. Short of being Parker Brothers or Milton Bradley, they aren't going to have the distribution to sell that hard and heavy.

GW makes up for this with a price point that doubles as an event horizon, and requiring you to buy a lot of figures to make a functional army. Traditionally, Wizkids has done this by... blind packaging and collectibility rarities.

I don't much cotton to either strategy.

6 people like this

From the Wizkids site:

The collection will include iconic characters, creatures, and even scene-building elements, all available in three types of specialty packs that will each contain a variety of sculpts:

• Hero Packs will contain both a low-level and high-level sculpt of the same featured character.
  • Designed with army-building in mind, Monster Packs will contain 1-3 miniatures with different poses of a single monster.
  • Item Packs will contain scenery and items for detailing adventures.

I didn't see anything about whether they will be blind packs or not.

4 people like this

From the Wizkids site:

The collection will include iconic characters, creatures, and even scene-building elements, all available in three types of specialty packs that will each contain a variety of sculpts:

• Hero Packs will contain both a low-level and high-level sculpt of the same featured character.
  • Designed with army-building in mind, Monster Packs will contain 1-3 miniatures with different poses of a single monster.
  • Item Packs will contain scenery and items for detailing adventures.

I didn't see anything about whether they will be blind packs or not.

If they are not blind packs, these sound like quite reasonable items.

4 people like this

Doesn't SOUND bad. We'll see.

2 people like this

+1 super-interested in the Item Packs.

3 people like this