Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

1 minute ago, Mushu_Green said:

Wish my local gaming store was up to date with these. I picked up some yesterday (children, ghosts) along with more paint. I'm interested in the campsite set but I guess i'll have to wait.

Their tavern set looks nice but I ordered the terraincrate so I won't need it.

keep up your paint jobs on these people ! I love them :)

Terraincrate?

I picked up a bunch of the new set when I was down at Atomic Empire, my semi-local FGS.  It seems like they've picked up a lot in quality from the first set.  I love the new Dragonborn...it's nice to see some Dragonborn options after 4E brought them to the mainstream but barely had any minis.  The scale seems to be a bit better in comparison to other lines.

wizkids.jpg.f7c66b21def14bc2b7edbc4f81d6c587.jpg

I'm really happy with the Dwarf Barbarian.  I was excited about the horned variant when they first showed the render.

Sadly, they were out of the Umber Hulk and Beholder, which seems to be the case...basically everywhere!

• Like 4

Huh, this stuff sizes up better than I thought...

I thought the official D&D minis were smaller than Reaper and the likes... At least the Elf Swashbuckler and Bard are, they're like Ral Partha-sized.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Huh, this stuff sizes up better than I thought...

I thought the official D&D minis were smaller than Reaper and the likes... At least the Elf Swashbuckler and Bard are, they're like Ral Partha-sized.

The Female Half-Orc Barbarian from the Pathfinder line is seriously undersized.  I think I wound up tossing mine in the Forum Box of Goodwill because of it.

The new Male Half-Orc Barbarian looked a bit bigger.

It seemed like Wave 1 was overall smaller but it varies.  Also, official D&D Elves are supposed to be smaller than Humans, aren't they?

10 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Well I mean from the painted line... I haven't really bought many, just Warduke (who measures up nicely) and a pair of elves...

The painted line is mostly smaller than the ready-to-paint, which is odd, as they share a lot of base 3D models.  Warduke was HUGE for the line (and also Wizards of the Coast pre-paint era).  It worked for him, though!  I bought a brick of War Drums just to get him.

I actually just realized that the Dwarf Barbarian appears to be based on the same body as the "Gold Dwarf Guard" from the pre-paint Elemental Evil set.  I noticed it while painting the jewelry laid into the collar of her cloak:

gold dwarf.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Oh there's two eras of pre-paints?

Yes, the original line was produced by Wizards of the Coast directly and came out about the same time as 3.5; there was a Miniature's Handbook with some new classes inspired by common classes in the line and had mass combat rules.  The cards were double-sided and had rules for encounters in D&D 3.5 and for a Miniatures Combat game.

War Drums was a soft reboot that had an updated core set for the skirmish wargame, and a focus on "common" monsters again.

The skirmish game was updated again and stat cards were changed to 4th Edition encounter rules and the new skirmish stats; I believe the first set of this was Dungeon of Dread.  WotC still produced the line.

They switched formats again during 4th; they dropped the skirmish game entirely, and sets had one revealed large Monster and the rest blind, or a pack of 3 revealed Adventurers.  The cards only had stat entries for 4th edition, the player sets came with a new Power card for each class they represented.

The line dropped before 4th ended.

Early into 5th Edition, WizKids announced that they licensed the D&D line, and it was miniatures only, no cards or rules.  This is the current era. 

Yeah, and one of the male human barbarians from D&D seems to be the same dude from the pre-painted set of Lost Mines of Phandelver miniatures, but is not the same mini.

1 minute ago, Lidless Eye said:

Yes, the original line was produced by Wizards of the Coast directly and came out about the same time as 3.5; there was a Miniature's Handbook with some new classes inspired by common classes in the line and had mass combat rules.  The cards were double-sided and had rules for encounters in D&D 3.5 and for a Miniatures Combat game.

War Drums was a soft reboot that had an updated core set for the skirmish wargame, and a focus on "common" monsters again.

The skirmish game was updated again and stat cards were changed to 4th Edition encounter rules and the new skirmish stats; I believe the first set of this was Dungeon of Dread.  WotC still produced the line.

They switched formats again during 4th; they dropped the skirmish game entirely, and sets had one revealed large Monster and the rest blind, or a pack of 3 revealed Adventurers.  The cards only had stat entries for 4th edition, the player sets came with a new Power card for each class they represented.

The line dropped before 4th ended.

Early into 5th Edition, WizKids announced that they licensed the D&D line, and it was miniatures only, no cards or rules.  This is the current era. 

So is there a scale difference between releases?

I bought some HeroClix snake men (one from DC Comics and one from Yugioh) and they scaled nicely with Reaper's Khavith, Serpentfolk Evoker.

Comparatively, the elves are minuscule and seem in scale with my Ral Partha AD&D Fighter with Two-Handed Sword.

3 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Yeah, and one of the male human barbarians from D&D seems to be the same dude from the pre-painted set of Lost Mines of Phandelver miniatures, but is not the same mini.

So is there a scale difference between releases?

I bought some HeroClix snake men (one from DC Comics and one from Yugioh) and they scaled nicely with Reaper's Khavith, Serpentfolk Evoker.

Comparatively, the elves are minuscule and seem in scale with my Ral Partha AD&D Fighter with Two-Handed Sword.

They're all branded as 28mm but the line had some major scale issues the entire time and most wound up on the smaller side of things.  Also, some monsters changed sizes throughout the various editions the lines have been around.  Some of the WizKids sets are just plain based wrong...the Fomorian came out in a set with Huges but is only Large sized, the first few Giants were on Large bases but are now Huge in 5th, etc...

Wow that sounds confusing.

I haven't really bought anything but humanoids in terms of prepaints... Warduke, my two elves, a Heroclix of Shang-Shi and the two Heroclix snakemen.

Makes me wonder now if a Heroclix Killer Croc might not be the best likely base for the more "big beefy snakeman that's more anaconda than cobra" mini I crave but can never pull off....

2 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Wow that sounds confusing.

I haven't really bought anything but humanoids in terms of prepaints... Warduke, my two elves, a Heroclix of Shang-Shi and the two Heroclix snakemen.

Makes me wonder now if a Heroclix Killer Croc might not be the best likely base for the more "big beefy snakeman that's more anaconda than cobra" mini I crave but can never pull off....

The Killer Crocs I've seen for HeroClix would all work scale wise (badum tish) compared to most modern fantasy lines, but I haven't followed the line in a long time.