Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

4 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

Yes, the original line was produced by Wizards of the Coast directly and came out about the same time as 3.5; there was a Miniature's Handbook with some new classes inspired by common classes in the line and had mass combat rules.  The cards were double-sided and had rules for encounters in D&D 3.5 and for a Miniatures Combat game.

War Drums was a soft reboot that had an updated core set for the skirmish wargame, and a focus on "common" monsters again.

The skirmish game was updated again and stat cards were changed to 4th Edition encounter rules and the new skirmish stats; I believe the first set of this was Dungeon of Dread.  WotC still produced the line.

They switched formats again during 4th; they dropped the skirmish game entirely, and sets had one revealed large Monster and the rest blind, or a pack of 3 revealed Adventurers.  The cards only had stat entries for 4th edition, the player sets came with a new Power card for each class they represented.

The line dropped before 4th ended.

Early into 5th Edition, WizKids announced that they licensed the D&D line, and it was miniatures only, no cards or rules.  This is the current era. 

Lidless has the right of it. Rebooting the game into fourth edition SERIOUSLY disrupted sales, I am told; everyone who was invested in the original miniatures game was rather put off by the rules changes. It didn't help that around the time they switched to semiblind packs, the minis themselves took a dip in quality. I'm guessing that this sudden dropoff in sales is what eventually scuttled the line. They reused many of the sculpts in a new boxed minis game that was sold in faction boxes with terrain tiles, but it never took off; you can still find some of them on the shelves, titled "Tyranny Of Goblins" and suchlike. They continued to reuse the sculpts in their boxed board games like Castle Ravenloft,  Wrath Of Ashardalon and Legend Of Drizz't, albeit in unpainted form; I replaced a fair number of the unpainteds with prepaints.

4 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

They're all branded as 28mm but the line had some major scale issues the entire time and most wound up on the smaller side of things.  Also, some monsters changed sizes throughout the various editions the lines have been around.  Some of the WizKids sets are just plain based wrong...the Fomorian came out in a set with Huges but is only Large sized, the first few Giants were on Large bases but are now Huge in 5th, etc...

Lidless continues with merciless accuracy. To the examples, I would add the Beholder, which gets bigger with every new release. I have one from the last run of WotC's metal minis from Chainmail, based on Todd Lockwood's artwork. It is somewhat bigger than the ball of my thumb. After they went to plastic, the next few Beholders were around golf ball sized, and some have approached baseball sized... for a miniature that still claims to be 28mm.

I am unimpressed with WotC bugbears, which seem sickly and weedy compared to the Reaper versions to which I have become accustomed. They aren't badly sculpted... they just seem teeny.

And while their adventurers seem better sculpted in the new releases, and they are compatible with 28mm, they continue to be less detailed than stuff from Reaper, among others.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 4

Well, to be fair, Beholders have been classed as Large creatures since 3e, while in 2e they ran the gamut from small to huge. It's somewhat understandable for them to change scales in the minis as time has gone on.

• Like 4

A new wave for the D&D set has been announced for August:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39705/a-passel-new-nolzurs-marvelous-miniatures-works

Huges will now be available in the line.  This is big news (badum tish) especially as the Frost Giant is obviously a reposed Harshnag, a major character in "Storm King's Thunder" who currently goes for $60+ as a single from the official set.

Other highlights include The Nameless One from "Planescape: Torment"!  It would be cool to see more minis from the expanded D&D media.  I'd love to see a more affordable version of Minsc & Boo, or a new version of Warduke.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

A new wave for the D&D set has been announced for August:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39705/a-passel-new-nolzurs-marvelous-miniatures-works

Huges will now be available in the line.  This is big news (badum tish) especially as the Frost Giant is obviously a reposed Harshnag, a major character in "Storm King's Thunder" who currently goes for $60+ as a single from the official set.

Other highlights include The Nameless One from "Planescape: Torment"!  It would be cool to see more minis from the expanded D&D media.  I'd love to see a more affordable version of Minsc & Boo, or a new version of Warduke.

I'd be honkin' thrilled to see a line made up entirely of characters from D&D lore, even if I had to paint them myself. Minsc & Boo, Warduke, Strongheart, Ringlerun, two or three Drizz'ts, Catti-Brie, Bruenor Battlehammer, Artemis Entreri, Jarlaxle, the entire cast of the TV cartoon...

That being said, the only thing I see in the article that excites me are duodrones and monodrones, because I don't think those have ever been offered in figure form before. Everything else? It's gonna have to be better than what I already have.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I'd be honkin' thrilled to see a line made up entirely of characters from D&D lore, even if I had to paint them myself. Minsc & Boo, Warduke, Strongheart, Ringlerun, two or three Drizz'ts, Catti-Brie, Bruenor Battlehammer, Artemis Entreri, Jarlaxle, the entire cast of the TV cartoon...

That being said, the only thing I see in the article that excites me are duodrones and monodrones, because I don't think those have ever been offered in figure form before. Everything else? It's gonna have to be better than what I already have.

The Monodrone and Duodrone just popped up in the pre-paint "Tomb of Annihilation" set.  Different poses and no weapons, but they are clearly from the same core 3D model:

dnd10_duodrone.jpg

dnd10_monodrone.jpg

• Like 5

I'm looking forward to WizKids unpainted May releases more.

ie the assorted dungeon dressing and accessories.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Warduke

As long as they remember he's left-handed this time and don't proportion and pose him like if Rob Liefeld designed him.

Also the Nolzur male elf ranger is already pretty blatantly Drizzt.

WK72637-B.jpg?fv=A4302BFCCA75811CA4BC004

Edited by BlazingTornado
  • Like 4

Yeah, that ranger pack was one of the first ones I bought, for precisely that reason.

I wasn't aware of the drones in the prepaint set; I've been less than thrilled with the prepaints, and haven't bought any.

I'd kill to see them produce Clockwork Horrors, unpainted, in a two pack. Particularly if they were customizable. Build your own horde!

Although I wonder if by releasing essentially the same figure in the prepaints AND unpainted, they're competing with themselves?

• Like 3

The change to 4e was accompanied by a drop in sales for all the associated lines - novels, cards, and miniatures.

None have recovered - the novels used to be where the actual money was in the D&D franchise, and has gone from multiple releases a month to... well, pretty much Drzzt.

The Auld Grump.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The change to 4e was accompanied by a drop in sales for all the associated lines - novels, cards, and miniatures.

None have recovered - the novels used to be where the actual money was in the D&D franchise, and has gone from multiple releases a month to... well, pretty much Drzzt.

The Auld Grump.

Don't get me started.

Bad enough they threatened to hire someone else to write Drizz't novels if Bob Salvatore wouldn't play ball, but I can only imagine what it must be like to be told "Yeah, your whole supporting cast is dead, so come up with something new, but leave Drizz't the same," but then, later, to be told "Find a way to bring the supporting cast back to life, the fans are rioting."

Yeesh.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Although I wonder if by releasing essentially the same figure in the prepaints AND unpainted, they're competing with themselves?

Kinda like Reaper did with Legendary Encounters? 

If you have the molds get the most use out of them, is what I say. At least we aren't getting more sculpts of the overused Paizo Iconics. Love 'em when they first came out, now they are like ho hum, Anther mini taken up by them when it could have been something else.

May is the month I'm looking forward to for Wizkids. Heck I might even pre-order a bunch of stuff if the last release is any indication. August looks good but overall, it fills holes. I love the sculpts for tieflings & aasimars, the scale thou they tend to be smaller then heroic (which is what I mostly have). Also, as much as I like the female teifling sorcerers, I always put them back due to one of them suffers from pinhead syndrome (the one with the puffy shirt).

Interesting that they are making a adult version of the Remorhaz, as there is a young version in MONSTER MENAGERIE prepainted set. Hopefully that one is good. I've always like the Remorhaz, thou I've never used one in a game.....

Also I find it interesting the "guts" of the Gel. Cube aren't primed plastic. It appears to have a clear coating around the items. I would think that would make it hard to paint em up. Figures, I picked up a "invisible" version of the Night Hag as I figured it was cleaner then the prepainted one & now they are coming out with one. Thou, August is kinda pushing it for what I need it for. Hmmm I wonder what that's for. ::): 

Also it appears they are coming out with the ship set, when, I have no idea.(Late 2018)

(Note the items outside the ship are case incentives for their upcoming set.MONSTER MENAGERIE 3)

dnd13_fallingstar_pre.jpg

dnd13_fallingstar2_pre.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm still kinda salty about their availability in Europe. Ordering them from the states and paying import fees and high shipping kinda defeats the purpose of low cost plastic miniatures. Worst thing is, not even my online retailer, who got wave 1 pretty much in time with the US release, has any idea if and when they will get their figures. And that shop is usually pretty good with knowing when their stock will arrive.

I would really like to get my hands on one of those beholders and some of those giant spiders who sold out too quickly. :unsure: 

• Like 5