Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

17 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Oh those halflings look weird....

No kidding. For some reason 5th Edition art decided to go bonkers with halflings and replace their large hairy feet with teeny tiny little dainty feet.

It looks so unnatural.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Not just that but their proportions in general seem really off. Tiny limbs, tiny feet, giant heads 

It hadn't quite hit me until I saw that summary but they seem to have turned into Smidgens from Rat Queens...which are just their not-Hobbits:

image.png.93b9521d6521abcce6841678d5fec42b.png

The Halfling Fighters really sell that low-level/high-level vibe.  They can't even afford real Heavy Armor in the first versions!

6 hours ago, haldir said:

Kinda like Reaper did with Legendary Encounters?

Reaper wasn't trying to sell blind packs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Reaper wasn't trying to sell blind packs.

True, one reason why I said "kinda". Singles for pre-painted are easily found online as well. I won't buy blind box. Thou I did when Wizards first came out with prepaints & my local card shop had them on his shelf. Out of 3 War of the Dragon Queen boxes I got 2 Nighstalkers. Ummm yah why is this mini even a common or uncommon in the large minis??!?! Also Reaper does have anther thing going for them, the LE minis actually were worth buying. I bought a couple packs of the zombies to help fill out a horde for a RCon game. The D&D ones are nice for fill ranks & oddball monsters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, haldir said:

True, one reason why I said "kinda". Singles for pre-painted are easily found online as well. I won't buy blind box. Thou I did when Wizards first came out with prepaints & my local card shop had them on his shelf. Out of 3 War of the Dragon Queen boxes I got 2 Nighstalkers. Ummm yah why is this mini even a common or uncommon in the large minis??!?! Also Reaper does have anther thing going for them, the LE minis actually were worth buying. I bought a couple packs of the zombies to help fill out a horde for a RCon game. The D&D ones are nice for fill ranks & oddball monsters.

Yuppers. Why would I buy blind when I can get unpainted for cheaper?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

No kidding. For some reason 5th Edition art decided to go bonkers with halflings and replace their large hairy feet with teeny tiny little dainty feet.

It looks so unnatural.

just ew. 

Can't help but wonder if someone's legal department recommended the foot transplant...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Can't help but wonder if someone's legal department recommended the foot transplant...

Would doubt it, since for the longest time Tolkien's estate did nothing about halflings, besides from just not using the hobbit name.

And Paizo's not had to change theirs.

I'd guess it was an internal decision in order to make them not so hobbit-y? But geez, I can't see how this is any semblance of improvement.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, BlazingTornado said:

The way they are drawn in the player's handbook is the stuff of nightmares.

*snipped*

Wow. That's ... that's ... I don't actually have words for what that is. Horrifying doesn't quite cover it.

It's like they wanted chibi-humans, but couldn't quite commit. o.O

• Haha 5

There are many reasons to change the depiction of types of characters in a game.

Sometimes art directors or others in the company demand changes not because changes are necessary, but bcause they want to put their personal stamps on the project.

Sometimes fashions in art and depiction change.

Sometimes someone in the hierarchy has a particular dislike for certain types of characters and wants to make them look ridiculous. (In this case old caricatures of leprechauns, looks like) Or they may actually think it is an improvement.

Sometimes they have a strong idea of what things must look like.

Sometimes they want to make a new market for their new accessories (minis), or drive a rival’s products to obsolescence.

Sometimes they are trying to imitate a successful rival (there are aspects of this art that remind me of Pathfinder). Or to differentiate their product from a rival’s.

I don’t think much of these new hobbit depictions, but I don’t see the harm in them.

Well, except that even short as they are, I keep imagining them wobbling and falling down and twisting those tiny birdlike ankles. Hobbits should be sturdy.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

I'd guess it was an internal decision in order to make them not so hobbit-y? But geez, I can't see how this is any semblance of improvement.

Over 4th edition "mini"-lings. Yah this is a vast improvement. Overall thou, the unpainted minis for halflings haven't been that bad thou. The female rogue set is one of the best one they've come out with IMHO.

Yeah I'll give you the female halfling rogue. She's got decent legs and feet.

But compare to the male rogue, or to any halfling from the latest previews....

wzk72626--nolzurs-unpainted-halfling-rog

(I don't know what a fourth edition mini-ling is)

Halflings in my worlds have looked nothing like the official art since... well, pretty much never.

They've never been fat, happy hobbits (1st/2nd ed.), or toddler-sized adults with odd-shaped skulls (3rd/4E), or an entire race of people with congenital birth defects (5th ed.).

They've always been just regular-looking people shrunk down to slightly larger than half the height of a human male.

On 2/25/2018 at 3:16 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

I'd be honkin' thrilled to see a line made up entirely of characters from D&D lore, even if I had to paint them myself. Minsc & Boo, Warduke, Strongheart, Ringlerun, two or three Drizz'ts, Catti-Brie, Bruenor Battlehammer, Artemis Entreri, Jarlaxle, the entire cast of the TV cartoon...

If they released unpainted versions (or even painted versions) of the whole cast of the old toy line, or the cast of the cartoon, I'd buy every last damn one of them... And probably several copies of 'em.

I have almost the full set of the 2-inch plastic figures from the '80's.

(A Portuguese company released a set of plastic toy figures of the cartoon cast, but those go for $50-100 each on EvilBay these days...)

I'm pretty psyched that they have the Nameless One and the monodrones and duodrones from the Planescape game, though.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4