Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

They'd still have to get Warduke right because the 2006 version was pretty disappointing all things considered.

(I could probably get a better, not to mention properly left-handed, Warduke out of Reaper's Achilles, Mythical Hero with some mods)

• Like 2

On 2/26/2018 at 9:33 AM, BlazingTornado said:

No kidding. For some reason 5th Edition art decided to go bonkers with halflings and replace their large hairy feet with teeny tiny little dainty feet.

It looks so unnatural.

How Art Direction viewed the previous style of hobbits:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Yeah I'll give you the female halfling rogue. She's got decent legs and feet.

But compare to the male rogue, or to any halfling from the latest previews....

wzk72626--nolzurs-unpainted-halfling-rog

(I don't know what a fourth edition mini-ling is)

I actually don't mind that figure. It gets away from Hobbits but not in a extreme way like some of the art that has been done for 5e. The female rockin out on the lute is a very bad example of the 5e halfling look.

Mini-ling is my name for 4e halflings. They basically looked like humans, but were micro-sized versions. No pudginess, homebodies like previous editions had made the Hob err halfling out to be. No furry feet, Hairstyles were the same as humans, facial features were like humans, etc etc.

Avg. height 3'10"–4'2"  Avg. weight 75–85 lbs.

While the height & weight are around the same size as previous editions of the halfling, it was the artwork & miniatures that where is differed. Granted 4e tried to steer away from the typical Hobbit that everyone has grown up with if you've played D&D from the start but examples are:

200?cb=20090527060842

Here is a good example of the miniature & actual size of them in 4e. The 2 on the outside are current 5e prepaints (thou the 1st one is actually a gnome):

gnome_and_halflings.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, haldir said:

The female rockin out on the lute is a very bad example of the 5e halfling look.

And sadly, it's the image used for the Halfling race information in the PHB.

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Mini-ling is my name for 4e halflings. They basically looked like humans, but were micro-sized versions. No pudginess, homebodies like previous editions had made the Hob err halfling out to be. No furry feet, Hairstyles were the same as humans, facial features were like humans, etc etc.

Yikes. That is also bad for entirely different reasons.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, haldir said:

Over 4th edition "mini"-lings. Yah this is a vast improvement. Overall thou, the unpainted minis for halflings haven't been that bad thou. The female rogue set is one of the best one they've come out with IMHO.

She's got a lot of mileage.  She's in the pre-paint line with slightly different equipment, and shown up again, slightly modified, for the Halfling Rogue/Druid for "Betrayal at Baldur's Gate"

When the first D&D movie came out, the one with Jeremy Irons and a Wayans brother in it, I was excited. I remember the weird glory of the late seventies, when you could find D&D books in the Sears catalog and at mall bookstores, when comic shops suddenly began sprouting spin racks of minis, when the game was going mainstream... y'know, before it became a Tool Of Satan in the eighties.

I was excited when I got Raistlin Majere in a booster of the prepaints. Oboy! Was Caramon next? Tika? Tasslehoff? Um... no.

I was excited when Hasbro's Mega Bloks line started putting out D&D sets. Hey, is this going to lead to something? Um... no.

And I hear about this new D&D movie in preproduction, and I'd really like to think it'll be this insane surprise hit, and Hasbro puts the merch factory into full gear. Maybe Hasbro will realize they have forty years of backstory to rework into merch for a modern audience. They're already selling PDFs of most of their back catalog; why not rework it a little and create something retro-new?

Not that my HOPES are terribly high... but I have hopes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I was excited when Hasbro's Mega Bloks line started putting out D&D sets. Hey, is this going to lead to something? Um... no.

Mega Bloks isn't owned by Hasbro...

Do you mean Kre-O?

That flopped because it was both poorly advertised and marketed as more of a "throw projectiles to destroy the other player's fortress" game than anything related to D&D....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Mega Bloks isn't owned by Hasbro...

Do you mean Kre-O?

That flopped because it was both poorly advertised and marketed as more of a "throw projectiles to destroy the other player's fortress" game than anything related to D&D....

Kre-O, yeah. What's the point of licensed properties if you're not going to market them?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Kre-O, yeah. What's the point of licensed properties if you're not going to market them?

Usually to sit on them so nobody else can use them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Yep, but it wasn't too strong on te D&D flavor.

Save from a Drizzt set, it was just Human Soldiers vs Orc Soldiers with projectile bits to damage the other's fortifications.

No dungeon sets, no "build your player character" kits, no Dragonlance sets...

• Like 2

Yeah, I found them on Amazon, and see what you mean.  They're all kind of "Meh". 

The Drizzt set is a crazy price - 22 piece set going for $60? 

52 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Yeah, I found them on Amazon, and see what you mean.  They're all kind of "Meh". 

The Drizzt set is a crazy price - 22 piece set going for $60? 

Well it IS a Drizzt figure on the secondary market.

26 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

Looks like we have photo previews for the next Pathfinder wave, too:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39723/barbarians-wizards-rogues-iron-maiden

Nothing very exciting to me.  Yet more sculpts of the Iconics, a handful of monsters and NPCs that are a dime a dozen.  The Cave Lurker looks neat, though.

Yeah this is pretty dull. The male human barbarian looks scrawny and unimpressive and good golly there is a lot of edgelord-bait in the accessories..

Also why would a lich need a two-handed morningstar?

Edited by BlazingTornado
  • Like 2