Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

10 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Yep. The Beholder is a very well done sculpt that’s a steal at the original retail price and even comes with extra spell effect eye stalks.

To the point that a lot of people think it is worth the $25 the speculators are charging - compare it to The Xanathar by GF9 - which retails at about $25, if I remember properly.

wzk73196.jpg

71073.jpg

I want The Xanathar for a specific NPC (not The Xanathar) - but the WizKids model is, in my opinion, a vastly superior model.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Interesting - I see that Miniature Market has instituted a limit of 5 on the Beholder. At a guess, they are trying to stem the speculators.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

Oh, my fuzzy ears and whiskers! I just realized that I can use the extra eyestalks from our two beholders to turn the Not-Beholder in Bones IV into a regular beholder!

My original plan involved beads, wire, and green stuff.

The Auld Grump

I have gone from never using a beholder in my games to sharing two, and wanting others.... <_<

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

I have gone from never using a beholder in my games to sharing two, and wanting others.... <_<

Most folks don’t realize that Beholders and potato chips share some genetic code.

You can’t stop after just one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have used both PineSol and Simple Green to strip primer and paint off of plastic minis.

In addition to this I have used both Dettol and Methylated Spirits to strip this primer off of the Wizkids minis - Methylated spirits worked quicker and better, but dettol worked too.

Some of my miniatures had some real primer problems, like "pooling puddles" (not sure how else to describe that) where it had maybe been resting when the primer was wet, I find these paint up a lot easier with "fresh" primer properly applied on them, but I'm a painting noob, and YMMV

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Most folks don’t realize that Beholders and potato chips share some genetic code.

Well potatoes do grow a large number of eyes if you leave them in dark, dank places...

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 12/21/2018 at 12:31 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

That explains the numerous eyes... the common potato being a shared ancestor.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 12/21/2018 at 5:28 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

Well potatoes do grow a large number of eyes if you leave them in dark, dank places...

Oh hello childhood trauma.

• Haha 5

No, not that kind of trauma.

Just memories of an old cartoon... Can't remember the plot but one detail clearly stuck with me.

Something was eating stuff ravenously and after devouring a potato all that was left were... eyes.

Scared the crap out of me as a kid and it remained suppressed beneath my psyche for long and then you guys brought it back.

• Like 3

Managed to get my hands on a couple of the old potatoes! I mean, beholders. Gave one to FireElemental, and kept the other for myself. 

Following a well-placed (and probably accurate) taunt from my parents of "just how many of those miniatures do you think you'll paint before you die? And how many years before you paint THIS one?" I did end up speed-painting it up in a few hours the other night. The spell effects are pretty great, but the transparent dome that goes over the eye isn't clear enough to be put over a painted eye. You could just paint the dome as the eye, instead, or leave the eye unprotected. Either's better than the blurryness you get with the unpainted dome.

• Like 4

A coat of gloss sealer on both sides of the lens should make it much clearer. Tamiya X-22 Clear would do the trick as well. Most people don't bother using the lens though. It's an unnecessary piece, even if it isn't difficult to make it clearer.

• Like 2

What about painting a portion of the cover as part of the eye in addition to the actual eye but still leave some of the cover transparent? Wouldn’t that give an interesting depth of field?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CorallineAlgae said:

A coat of gloss sealer on both sides of the lens should make it much clearer. Tamiya X-22 Clear would do the trick as well. Most people don't bother using the lens though. It's an unnecessary piece, even if it isn't difficult to make it clearer.

Future floor polish would be even better. I've coated model car windows with it & it brings out the shine on even scratched up ones. 

Thou mine didn't want to fit + I'm not sure if I even still have it. It's been a while since I played err looked at my beholder. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, haldir said:

Future floor polish would be even better. I've coated model car windows with it & it brings out the shine on even scratched up ones. 

Thou mine didn't want to fit + I'm not sure if I even still have it. It's been a while since I played err looked at my beholder.

Future is a good idea. It would definitely do the trick. I'll throw some on mine.

• Like 3

We polished ours up, but they're still lumpy. Wouldn't recommend using it, but I glued mine in and can't get it out. Such are the perils of finishing an unplanned speed paint at 1 AM. :)

Edited by terminalmancer
typo
  • Like 4