Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

7 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

A coat of gloss sealer on both sides of the lens should make it much clearer. Tamiya X-22 Clear would do the trick as well. Most people don't bother using the lens though. It's an unnecessary piece, even if it isn't difficult to make it clearer.

I dipped the lens on Megan's beholder - the one that I painted up with pink eye - in MinWax so that the sealer acted as glue, gave the eye some seepage (yay! Pink eye!), and both colored the lens and made it more transparent.

Clear Minwax would do the same without tinting the lens, but since I was going for conjunctivitis....

A lot of folks also just paint over the lens - giving them a blank pallet for whatever they want to paint for the eye. (I may paint up the second beholder with a goat's eyes.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Interesting, I’ve been pondering what to do with the lens myself. My first beholder has been awaiting his bath to get the Vallejo primer off (and then a fresh coat of it back on!) I was hoping to get him done over the Christmas break but Santa brought lots of new miniatures including a few that want to jump to the front of the painting queue...

I saw on facebook someone did their clear spell effects by mixing food dye with mod podge, it looked quite striking and went on better than the glazes I’ve been trying to use, I think next time I’ll try that too but maybe using inks instead of food dye as I don’t know what the longevity of that would be...

• Like 1

I ordered the GF9 Xanathar as a late Christmas present for Grump.

I knew even when I ordered it that it would be too late for XMas, but the game sounds fun so I ordered it anyway.

Now I need to find the OST for Police Academy. :lol:

• Like 3

I joined a prepainted/gaming forum today & I came across a thread regarding Upm line. I thought some on here might be interested in the upcoming figs:

file.php?id=246

file.php?id=245

Definitely could use that Treant for Vegas but I don't think it'll be out before I leave. I do have the old DDM undead treant, so that'll work (it just leans slightly due to crappy plastic used).

The blights, I think I'd rather have a pack of 3 of just the twigs. They seem to pop up more in packs then the others. Goliath looks good. He's beefy, like he suppose be. Tri', well I got the Bones one coming so I'll prob hold off on that one....for now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, haldir said:

I joined a prepainted/gaming forum today & I came across a thread regarding Upm line. I thought some on here might be interested in the upcoming figs:

file.php?id=246

file.php?id=245

Definitely could use that Treant for Vegas but I don't think it'll be out before I leave. I do have the old DDM undead treant, so that'll work (it just leans slightly due to crappy plastic used).

The blights, I think I'd rather have a pack of 3 of just the twigs. They seem to pop up more in packs then the others. Goliath looks good. He's beefy, like he suppose be. Tri', well I got the Bones one coming so I'll prob hold off on that one....for now.

I love the Triceratops, it will be interesting to compare it to the upcoming Bones one. Also, all I can hear is "I am Groot" when I see that Treant.

• Like 1

The only one of those four that I would’ve possibly been interested is the treant, but I don’t think it’ll compare to Reapers.

8DFE099D-9E41-4441-AE2A-ADEC1441C25A.thumb.jpeg.1d756047e84552647f7c01c572efde3c.jpeg2D03660E-5AFD-477E-B55E-C8B316CF4742.thumb.jpeg.ecaddc9ccdf58096929bea722ffe0aa6.jpeg

• Like 3

The Wizkids treant looks far more useful for gaming. It looks way more like an actual treant, and it's size is far more reasonable for game play. The Reaper treeman looks more like a wood golem or construct than a treant. To be clear, I really like Mossbeard. I added him to my pledge and want to make a huge diorama just for him.

The Wizkids blights are also a major score. I have 6 of the Reaper twig blights, but they are all the same sculpt. Wizkids has 3 different twig blight sculpts in one pack. :wub:

Edited by CorallineAlgae
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

The only one of those four that I would’ve possibly been interested is the treant, but I don’t think it’ll compare to Reapers.

8DFE099D-9E41-4441-AE2A-ADEC1441C25A.thumb.jpeg.1d756047e84552647f7c01c572efde3c.jpeg2D03660E-5AFD-477E-B55E-C8B316CF4742.thumb.jpeg.ecaddc9ccdf58096929bea722ffe0aa6.jpeg

Oh no way that it does. I've seen the new Mossbeard in person. It's a impressive piece. The Wizkids one thou is in 5e size thou, where i think Reaper's is bigger.

1 minute ago, CorallineAlgae said:

The Wizkids blights are also a major score. I have 6 of the Reaper twig blights, but they are all the same sculpt. Wizkids has 3 different twig blight sculpts in one pack. :wub:

There are different blights in that pack. Twig (smallest) Needle & one other. I agree the Reaper one is nice but he's also medium sized. Twigs are small. Reaper's equivlant is the 3865: Briarlings. These are small & are 2 to a pack. One of the reasons why I grabbed a few at the Boneyard. I actually got em out & glued as I'll need twig blights when the players go to Thundertree. I ended up getting 5 packs, so 10 all together.

31 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I love the Triceratops, it will be interesting to compare it to the upcoming Bones one. Also, all I can hear is "I am Groot" when I see that Treant.

I've seen the Triceratops in person at ReaperCon. It has more skin texture then the Wizkids one but they look about the same size. Reaper's being a tad bit bigger. Also, more "Umpf" to his body as well.

• Like 4

I really like those wizkids Blights, when last at our F-but-not-so-L-GS we saw the wizkids pre-painted "wardlings" and OH really liked the druid one that came with a twig-blight type creature, but we ended up not getting it because we didnt want to spend £8 when he only wanted the little one and it'd have to be stripped and re-painted, this is a much better option!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, haldir said:

There are different blights in that pack. Twig (smallest) Needle & one other. I agree the Reaper one is nice but he's also medium sized. Twigs are small. Reaper's equivlant is the 3865: Briarlings. These are small & are 2 to a pack. One of the reasons why I grabbed a few at the Boneyard. I actually got em out & glued as I'll need twig blights when the players go to Thundertree. I ended up getting 5 packs, so 10 all together.

Oh, I only have a bunch of the Bones Saproling version. I wish the other sculpt was available in Bones, or even singly in metal. At times like this, I really miss the Boneyard. :unsure:

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 4:22 AM, haldir said:

Thou mine didn't want to fit + I'm not sure if I even still have it. It's been a while since I played err looked at my beholder.

I didnt know what it was and tossed it before I figured it out. Whoops.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:34 PM, lexomatic said:

I didnt know what it was and tossed it before I figured it out. Whoops.

That's not much of a loss. I've hardly seen anyone use it. It seems to frustrate people more than anything. :lol:

Edited by CorallineAlgae

After Christmas sale yielded the official D&D Paint Starter Set, which comes with an exclusive Minsc and Boo miniature, so I bought it.

Interestingly, the miniature isn't preprimed, it's nicely detailed, and may be the best Minsc miniature they've released yet; it's the only one that includes Boo, who is sitting on Minsc's shoulder. Weirdly, it's closer to true 25mm than to 28mm.

• Like 2