Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

8 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Just a heads up that the wave 7 release should be happening Jan. 9th.

The hilights for me from this release besides the fire giant are the animals.

Stag

Grizzly

Wild Boar

Timber Wolves

And...

Wait for it...

PACK DONKEY!

63327C69-A3BE-45C4-B375-3A94CBC03378.thumb.png.835eae728edcf5dd6a9e7a85b8e49bbc.png

If you can’t tell I’m just a wee bit excited to be adding to my Reaper Pack Donkey, Pack Camel, Pack Reindeer, and soon to be released from Bones 4, Pack tortoise.

::D:

And they also have a giant pack lizard in that Kickstarter!

• Like 2

Some very nice offerings in Wave 7!

Generally if it's released in the US in January I should be able to find them in stores in the UK... in April! <_<

My shopping list from the offering will be as follows! 

WZK73542 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Female Half-Orc Fighter $ 4.99 [Maybe?]
WZK73541 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Male Goliath Fighter $ 4.99 [Maybe?]
WZK73540 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Male Tabaxi Rogue $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73539 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Male Elf Rogue $ 4.99
WZK73538 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Female Half-Elf Bard $ 4.99
WZK73537 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Blights $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73535 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Carrion Crawler $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73534 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Marilith $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73339 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: Tiefling Female Rogue $ 4.99 [Maybe?]
WZK73533 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Triceratops $ 14.99
WZK73532 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Treant $ 14.99 [WANT]
WZK73579 D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures – Fire Giant $ 14.99 [WANT]
WZK73554 WizKids Deep Cuts Miniatures – Wild Boar $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73552 WizKids Deep Cuts Miniatures – Pack Mule $ 4.99 [Maybe?]
WZK73553 WizKids Deep Cuts Miniatures – Timber Wolves $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73551 WizKids Deep Cuts Miniatures – Grizzly $ 4.99 [Maybe?]
WZK73550 WizKids Deep Cuts Miniatures – Stag $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73549 Pathfinder Battles Deep Cuts – Doppelgangers $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73548 Pathfinder Battles Deep Cuts – Ghouls $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73547 Pathfinder Battles Deep Cuts – Orc on Dire Wolf $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73546 Pathfinder Battles Deep Cuts – Bone Devil $ 4.99 [WANT]
WZK73545 Pathfinder Battles Deep Cuts – Female Half-Elf Ranger $ 4.99
WZK73544 Pathfinder Battles Deep Cuts – Male Half-Elf Ranger $ 4.99
WZK73543 Pathfinder Battles Deep Cuts – Female Dwarf Summoner $ 4.99

• Like 4

Yah, the treant would definitely see some use in one of my Vegas games in Feb. 

Hopefully I can get one before the end of the month. If not, I'm stuck with a slightly leaning undead pre-painted one.

• Like 5

My hobby budget is coughing up blood at the moment, so all I preordered from this set are the treant, blights and the stag. They should be a nice warmup for Mossbeard. Really like the wild boar and Timber Wolf sculpts as well. I'd like to know how the mold lines are on those. I'm so bad at removing them from fur.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, CorallineAlgae said:

My hobby budget is coughing up blood at the moment, so all I preordered from this set are the treant, blights and the stag. They should be a nice warmup for Mossbeard. Really like the wild boar and Timber Wolf sculpts as well. I'd like to know how the mold lines are on those. I'm so bad at removing them from fur.

How good are you at sculpting fur?

Sometimes, with things like fur, it is easier to just cut away, and replace it with green stuff.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

How good are you at sculpting fur?

Sometimes, with things like fur, it is easier to just cut away, and replace it with green stuff.

I've never tried sculpting fur. It's a good idea, but it sounds like a lot of work for a PVC wolf or boar. I've honestly never been brave enough about it to try. It's always so impressive to see people do things like that. I really need to take a breath and try it some day. Sounds like it might be more difficult in my head than it is in reality. What tools do you use to shape the green stuff when fixing fur?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I've never tried sculpting fur. It's a good idea, but it sounds like a lot of work for a PVC wolf or boar. I've honestly never been brave enough about it to try. It's always so impressive to see people do things like that. I really need to take a breath and try it some day. Sounds like it might be more difficult in my head than it is in reality. What tools do you use to shape the green stuff when fixing fur?

Paging @TaleSpinner Sculpting Advice on Aisle Ten, please!

The benefit of using cheap plastic minis to practice this stuff on is that they're cheap, and if you elf it up, you can (in theory) scrap it off and start over. I got wild and sculpted a crappy riding harness on a worg once! And I wasn't super worried, 'cause, well.. Bones worg, right? He's cheap, and I can get lots, and if I elf it up, well... greenstuff can be hacked off with a knife and you can start over.

I nobbled a preprimed aasimar pair, and one of them has WINGS. Transparent, feathered wings!

Still haven't managed to score a beholder. But I've got piles of scenery. I might be having a little too much fun with some of these...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Fur's not hard, but hard to explain.  In small patches like a fix like this it is pretty easy.  Just cut out the mold line in a V shaped trough, fill the trough with GS, Smooth it and then sculpt the fur.  For that latter part, I use a small pointed spear-shaped tool, but a hobby knife will work well.  Use a bit of vaseline on the tool to keep it from sticking.  Start at the the back of the the fur patch and using little quick circular motions (perpendicular to the patch) form the hair.  Do a line of them side to side and then start another row.  Your tool hand should just be moving the tool like a sewing machine.  You grip hand should move the mini across the tool like you are guiding fabric into that machine.

I don't know if that made sense or not.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

On 12/27/2018 at 9:00 PM, haldir said:

I joined a prepainted/gaming forum today & I came across a thread regarding Upm line. I thought some on here might be interested in the upcoming figs:

file.php?id=246

file.php?id=245

Definitely could use that Treant for Vegas but I don't think it'll be out before I leave. I do have the old DDM undead treant, so that'll work (it just leans slightly due to crappy plastic used).

The blights, I think I'd rather have a pack of 3 of just the twigs. They seem to pop up more in packs then the others. Goliath looks good. He's beefy, like he suppose be. Tri', well I got the Bones one coming so I'll prob hold off on that one....for now.

what are blights?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

what are blights?

"Awakened" shrubs, trees, sticks and bushes, similar to treant's but in smaller sizes. In my experience anyway, I'm not sure if there are other kinds.

Edited by MiniDungeonMaster
spelling is hard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sort of.

Lore-wise they come about either growing from seeds of the fruit of a Gulthias tree, or they're the result of a Gulthias tree corrupting the other flora around it.

Either way unlike a plain awakened tree or shrub which just gains sentience, these things are evil to the core.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Sculpting fur is bog easy - and can be done with the blade of a hobby knife, lots of different ways to do it.

The simplest is just to cut off the fur around and on the mold line - going deeper than the fur that you will be replacing - maybe go for a shallow (1/8") trough along the line.

Fill with green stuff - not quite to the height of the surrounding fur - then use a moistened hobby knife to make short slashes that are parallel to the existing fur.

Another method is to fill to below the fur level, then add tiny triangular blobs of green stuff, pointy end down, and, again, make little dashes with the hobby knife, parallel to the fur. Start at the bottom of the shaved area, like laying shingles - the upper blobs overlapping the lower blobs. working each blob in turn. The triangles do not have to be neat and tidy - and can be half round instead of triangular.

You end up with a shaggier look with the latter method, and it takes a while. (And you don't always want a shaggy look - but it can look very nice when you do - even a pack pony looks different beasty when it has a shaggy coat! ::D: )

For moistening the blade - water, water with a bit of glycerol, Vaseline, or spit can all be used.

If you use Vaseline, you will want to wash the mini again after the green stuff cures.

Spit is readily available - but I do not recommend licking the blade. ::P:

As for a lot of work on a cheap mini - their being cheap minis makes them perfect for practicing!

And the skill developed will be useful, later, when you are working on more expensive models.

So, think of it as practice, instead of too much work on a cheap model.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

what are blights?

Officially:

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/twig-blight

(twig is the smallest of the 3 in the pack)

Again, I'd rather have them per type vs all 3 in 1 pack, as you don't send just 1 blight (especially twigs) at a party.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went to my FLGS last night looking for the wave 7 minis, they didn’t have them.

Went back again tonight after work. Still didn’t have them.

So after I left them I stopped at a non F but LGS on the way home from work and they had all the wave 7 minis.

Heres the few that I picked up:

BF2D365D-9D1D-441F-93EC-78A5E65D795C.thumb.jpeg.4b2f8c985758cb7e71f31ad4cf92a4c3.jpeg

Wasnt going to pick up the treant but I thought he looked better in person plus he was a bit bigger than I had expected which was good cause the fire giant was a bit smaller than I had expected.

I do wish the fire giant had a beard though. And the hammer handle was pretty badly warped on all the minis of him they had. This is the least warped one. Still a nice sculpt though.

A63A4418-4601-481B-80A3-770E9E7B6EEB.thumb.jpeg.eb59a3cd1e4b4cbd5389795c658aaeec.jpegIn the store I also thought the animals were on the small side. But after comparing them to Reapers Pack donkey and Sir Forscale they look about right. Nice detail in the sculpts.

I didn’t pick up the timber wolves because those in particular looked too small to my eye.

E100D541-2456-4511-91EA-DCB7CB5310FB.thumb.jpeg.37e5bf3c9f10f58bb43c7f69a4fde185.jpeg

And a closer look at the Wizkids Pack donkeys and Reapers Pack donkey along with Sir Forscale.

I think Reapers looks like a donkey while Wizkids looks more like a mule.

Should also mention you get two identical Pack mules in the Wizkids blister.

• Like 6