Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:09 PM, Sirithiliel said:

have my triceratops now too. It's alright, my paleo-artist side is twinging at its face but that just drives me to sculpt my own sooner haha

Say, how long is that beastie?

On 1/11/2019 at 5:56 AM, MiniDungeonMaster said:

They're nice and detailed and a good size, I'm a little sad that for lots of these monster/creature 2 packs Wizkids are just doing 2 of the same sculpt, I'd prefer them if they were 2 slightly different sculpts for variety but can always paint them up differently so it's not the end of the world!

And if you look through the WizKids prepaints you’ll often find a third (and sometimes fourth) version of the same monster.  The Thri-Kreen are like that.

• Like 3

I finally got to see the Deep Cuts silver dragon.

Holy crap! THAT'S a $5 dragon?!! ::o:

Seriously?

And, of course it is out of stock at the places I normally shop online.... ::P:

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I finally got to see the Deep Cuts silver dragon.

Holy crap! THAT'S a $5 dragon?!! ::o:

Seriously?

And, of course it is out of stock at the places I normally shop online.... ::P:

The Auld Grump

I agree. That silver dragon is very well sculpted and a steal at that price. I really wish Wizkids would acknowledge their sculptors though.

With Wizkids and Reaper both recently releasing new sculpts of their owlbears it brings up a point I’ve been wondering for a while.

How is Wizkids managing to keep their prices so low?

Below are some comparison pics of the two owlbears.

I paid $5 Canadian at a local game store for the Wizkids one, and $7.99 US for Reapers through their online store. That’s a pretty big difference in price.6067D228-CD72-489B-A4DE-23BFA75B6BE4.thumb.jpeg.5990adc5012f97b5cd5f67374de238af.jpeg

-

7E86B2C1-6014-456A-9EBF-B4580D62C228.thumb.jpeg.0777753d876d0148299e75bdb1ca86e7.jpeg

-

2D191A9C-3F7B-4704-A0E9-64B7EB47A762.thumb.jpeg.80193889ea98fc913c091801a0dd39e7.jpeg

Sizewise the Wizkids is a bit bulkier. Arguably Reapers shows more detail, but they’re both nice sculpts and both are an improvement over Wizkids previous preprinted owlbear that I got in one of those random collector boxes at Paizocon a few years ago.

0CB042AA-9CF5-4078-A06A-778275145C9A.thumb.jpeg.169d77e899694c15d344bf13db69376d.jpeg

Sure was a big beastie though.

Dwarfs both of the new Owlbears.

• Like 7

I love that silver dragon sculpt, though there are a few very hard to reach bits and mine came with some NASTY mole lines running right across the scales. I’d buy another 2 in a heart beat though, to paint one silver and one gold. My first one is blue- as I thought I might run the HotDQ module first but changed my mind to Dragon Heist!

• Like 5

On 1/22/2019 at 10:02 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

I will be honest - ever since Night at the Museum, I have been wanting a nice undead tyrannosaurus. (And by nice, I mean nice - the look on the hero's face when he realized he would be throwing that bone. All. Night. Long... while the Rex is wagging its bony tail. Best scene in the whole movie, as far as I am concerned.)

The Auld Grump

GF9 Dungeons and Dragons Minis.

Resin and quite expensive, but very cool.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor gf9 zombie t-rexAfbeeldingsresultaat voor gf9 zombie t-rex

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

With Wizkids and Reaper both recently releasing new sculpts of their owlbears it brings up a point I’ve been wondering for a while.

How is Wizkids managing to keep their prices so low?

Obviously just speculating, but maybe it has something to do with higher quantities being purchased from the factories. There was also a discussion on why they got their containers through customs quicker/more reliably than e. g. Reaper a few pages back and it also boiled down to them being bigger fish.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were unhappy with some of the prices they set themselves, though. In the beginning it seemed like everything went for 5$, and some of those items seemed a lot more valuable than others. Now some Wizkids unpainted are priced quite differently.

• Like 4

Seems like with the few waves, they've increased their prices, thou recent wave was still the same. Online it depends on the retailer. I've been using a ebayer for some of the releases & they had a figure I wanted but was 1 or 2 bucks more then retail. On the flipside, they offered reasonable shipping & free combo shipping, so I was still ahead.

Funny here in town, I've got my FLGS for these + my long time (jr year in HS he opened) card shop guy* who stocks the figures as well. I have a dilemma on who I should buy from. It's a good dilemma to have as in the end I just buy from both.

*Found out yesterday, he has the figures in stock I ordered from Fantization. Grrr now I really wish I hadn't ordered from them.......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nunae said:

Obviously just speculating, but maybe it has something to do with higher quantities being purchased from the factories. There was also a discussion on why they got their containers through customs quicker/more reliably than e. g. Reaper a few pages back and it also boiled down to them being bigger fish.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were unhappy with some of the prices they set themselves, though. In the beginning it seemed like everything went for 5$, and some of those items seemed a lot more valuable than others. Now some Wizkids unpainted are priced quite differently.

Making molds for plastics is expensive - but the material is cheap.

A larger production run drops the average price of the models - the more you produce, the less the mold cost per model.

WizKids is also a big enough fish that it is likely that they order enough to justify the factory giving them better terms.

Add in the D&D name (now that the D&D name is a positive thing again) and it increases the likely volume - possibly by an order of magnitude.

One of the things that I am finding interesting is that WizKids have several models under only the Deep Cuts label - the pirates don't care whether you are running D&D or Pathfinder. Because pirates are pirates, and are equally useful in both games. Ditto for furniture.

Which may mean that the Deep Cuts name itself is getting enough traction to perpetuate.

The Auld Grump - Chris picked up the Silver Dragon while in Florida for the Disney Death March. I do not think I have seen it locally, at all.

• Like 5

The speculating part was on how much larger the quantities of Wizkids Deep Cuts vs Reaper Bones being ordered are. I do think there are more of the Wizkids being sold than Bones (due to the D&D and Pathfinder name), but no idea on how much more. Some figures use the same sculpt as the prepaints being/already released, which will again help with lower prices.  Would be interesting to know how many people buy prepaints vs Deep Cuts vs Bones. I do suspect once you go down the rabbit hole and actually start painting miniatures, you find Bones rather quickly, but again, speculating.

They also package their smaller miniatures in groups, which makes the amount of each miniature being sold very predictable. Sometimes one of the two or three creatures in the box is more appealling to me than the other, and if given the choice, I'd just buy that one. But the choice isn't there so I buy both. Isn't it often the case that multiple miniatures are on one mold plate thing? So you can't run the one without also running the others? Would help to always package and sell all of those together.

Overall you have less choice, if you plan on building an e. g. skeleton army just from Wizkids Deep Cuts you'll buy the same two over and over, while with Bones you have so many options for skeletons that you probably don't even need to double one. Same with Orcs or Goblins. So even if Wizkids and Reaper sell the same amount of plastic skeletons/goblins/orcs, Wizkids sold the same pack multiple times (again, more minis sold per mold) vs Reaüer selling a bunch of different figures (which I prefer, it's great, but probably more expensive).

But as a whole, Wizkids definetly is the bigger catch for the factory, so I also think they get better conditions/have more bargaining power.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Add in the D&D name (now that the D&D name is a positive thing again) and it increases the likely volume - possibly by an order of magnitude.

Definitely this.  

There are 100k people on the D&D 5e FB group, and it appears more people there know about the Wizkids D&D line than know about Reaper.  I've seen the Wiz-Kids minis in places like Barnes & Noble right along side the D&D books. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Nunae said:

The speculating part was on how much larger the quantities of Wizkids Deep Cuts vs Reaper Bones being ordered are. I do think there are more of the Wizkids being sold than Bones (due to the D&D and Pathfinder name), but no idea on how much more. Some figures use the same sculpt as the prepaints being/already released, which will again help with lower prices.  Would be interesting to know how many people buy prepaints vs Deep Cuts vs Bones. I do suspect once you go down the rabbit hole and actually start painting miniatures, you find Bones rather quickly, but again, speculating.

They also package their smaller miniatures in groups, which makes the amount of each miniature being sold very predictable. Sometimes one of the two or three creatures in the box is more appealling to me than the other, and if given the choice, I'd just buy that one. But the choice isn't there so I buy both. Isn't it often the case that multiple miniatures are on one mold plate thing? So you can't run the one without also running the others? Would help to always package and sell all of those together.

Overall you have less choice, if you plan on building an e. g. skeleton army just from Wizkids Deep Cuts you'll buy the same two over and over, while with Bones you have so many options for skeletons that you probably don't even need to double one. Same with Orcs or Goblins. So even if Wizkids and Reaper sell the same amount of plastic skeletons/goblins/orcs, Wizkids sold the same pack multiple times (again, more minis sold per mold) vs Reaüer selling a bunch of different figures (which I prefer, it's great, but probably more expensive).

But as a whole, Wizkids definetly is the bigger catch for the factory, so I also think they get better conditions/have more bargaining power.

It is also worth noting that detail on the WizKids unpainted lines are much deeper and clear than on the  prepainted versions - even where the digital sculpt is the same, the mold is new.

The Auld Grump

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

@TheAuldGrump an excuse to find new places to shop online ::D:

As they say, when life hands you lemons... make hard lemonade!

I always preferred ' when life hands you lemons, deep freeze those suckers, and throw them at people!'

Looking at the prices of the harder to get WizKids minis on Amazon is always good for a laugh. :devil: A bitter, cynical laugh, tinctured with the tears of the innocent, but a laugh. (Oh, hey! There's one that has the list price of the Silver Dragon at $15... Hey! You know that Report button on Amazon? *CLICK* Charge what you like, but don't claim to be giving a discount while charging double the list price....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

22 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

It is also worth noting that detail on the WizKids unpainted lines are much deeper and clear than on the  prepainted versions

The cynic in me wants to ask "Are you sure that's not just excessive paint?" 

I don't have any experience with their pre-paints, so I shouldn't comment all, but I just had to. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

The cynic in me wants to ask "Are you sure that's not just excessive paint?" 

I don't have any experience with their pre-paints, so I shouldn't comment all, but I just had to. 

Yes, I am - I have stripped some of the pre-paints in order to give them better paint jobs.

The detail just wasn't there. A lot like comparing some of the Bones models with their metal counterparts.

It could have been the plastic chosen, and not the mold. Pretty sure it is a slightly different plastic in the unpainted lines as well.

I almost wish that I had a pre-painted version of the vardo, for comparison. (Almost. I am quite happy with our vardos.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 6