Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

3 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

Is this a Wizkids unpainted big Townspeople pack? Don't think I've seen anything about that would be interested to see if you have a link?

Yes, Townspeople & Accessoires. Picture in spoiler.

Spoiler

Townspeople-and-Accessories.png

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Nunae said:

Yes, Townspeople & Accessoires. Picture in spoiler.

Hide contents

Townspeople-and-Accessories.png

Oooh cool- a shame there are a few in there that are already released elsewhere though, the 2 pirates and executioner at least, maybe others too- I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this though, some nice terrain bits too.

• Like 2

Jup, a few are definetly already released in smaller packs, but I have none of them. The accessoires interest me personally more than the people, but the set is interesting.

• Like 1

Okay, a report on Pinesol and Mineral Spirits for stripping the D&D minis. Both worked, I left the mini overnight in the Pinesol with no ill effects, toothbrush and the paint cleaned off well. The Mineral Spirits went in for an hour and it also worked okay. If you don't get unscented Mineral Spirits, make sure they are in the garage or you will get complaints on the smell.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nunae said:

Now, I have seen a lot of excitement for the big Townspeople pack, and for towns people/non combatant miniatures in general (there are quite a few in the Bones coreset as well). I find the miniatures really interesting to look at and paint as well, but how often do you actually use them in game?

This far, I've used miniatures exclusively for combat to help my players and myself keep track of the situation. Villagers or townspeople really don't come up in those situations as often, maybe as potential casualties the group wants to protect from the bandits or doesn't want to aim a area attack towards.

Do people use those miniatures for RP moments? Do you guys build up the whole tavern when the party walks in? Doesn't that devolve to the party starting to push their figures around like in a board game all the time? I've kept the maps on the table after fighting was over a few times, and almost every time people stopped explaining what they did ("I walk to that wall looking for a secret door") to put their figure in the described place, which I don't particularly like. I think I would find it very annoying to have a tavern scene with people constantly saying "wait! xy isn't were he is supposed to be, time to put him behind the bar" and knocking around tiny furniture.

Or do you just show the NPC miniatures for people to have a better mental image?

Either way, not judging, still pretty new to this and I was wondering what I was missing.

Depends on the game - but one thing to bear in mind is that having the miniatures opens the possibilities.

They are good for when the town is attacked by monsters - For Rise of the Runelords they get pulled out for the goblin raid. I think Megan wants them for when dragons attack a town in Skyrim. I used them when the Redneck Red Dragon attacked the caravan that the PCs were with. (I have come to love that dragon - he is a complete and utter jerk. Way above the party's abilities when they first encounter him - but all he does is flame the caravan once, do a barrel roll yelling 'Yahoo!' and fly off laughing....)

They are good when the peasants are revolting - For Curse of the Crimson Throne they get used in the riots and in The Haunting of Harrowstone they are used for the angry mob.In the Blight... well, let us just say that the city has its prejudices, and the party may need to save someone from Judge Lynch.

They are good for really pissing off the PCs - in the Regency game they will be throwing eggs and rotten food at one of the player characters while he is in the stocks. (Almost threw in a major spoiler there.)

They get pulled out when there is a barroom brawl - with a barbarian in the party, there is always a barroom brawl at some point.

They are good when the  theater is on fire and the PCs are trying to rescue people.

But, mostly, they are useful for things you won't even think of until you have them. Like furniture, once you have them, you find uses for them.

Speaking of furniture - one of the things that I had fun with was when the PCs were searching the offices of The Crimson Permanent Assurance - and realized that one of the desks had no fewer than seven hidden compartments and drawers... and all because I had a snazzy looking model of a desk.

The Aud Grump - I'm from New England - secret compartments in desks was kind of our thing, back around 1700 or so....

• Like 7

On 2/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

So, getting back on topic - did anybody here break down and buy the pirate ship?

The Auld Grump

As much as I'd like the ship the price is a deal breaker for me. Eh, I'll just print one if I need one. ^_^

• Like 5

Those cannons are something I have a need for. may get some to arm one of my bones barges too...

• Like 1

Very interested in the cannons and the angry bear.

Curious about the clockwork dragon and the spectator gazer.

Disappointed in the dragons. Nothing strikes my fancy. Will have to see them in person.

• Like 3

Wuuiii, wave 9.

Sadly, my online retailer doesn't allow pre-orders for out of stock (or not yet released) Wizkids unpainted stuff anymore. Probably too many people sitting on month old not-yet-fulfilled orders, or they got more pre-orders for certain miniatures than actual miniatures.

So I'll have to set notifications and hope I'll be fast enough to order at the ping of my e-mail :lol:

• Like 4

Holy Baltard, I think this might be the first-ever male Yuan-Ti Pureblood miniature ever made.

Hell, might be the first official depiction of a male Yuan-Ti Pureblood ever, I only ever saw women in the books.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2019 at 5:37 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

I am very glad to say that 5e avoided most, if not all, of those pitfalls.

While I have no real urge to play it (but would if that was the game being offered) I also am not filled with a bottomless pool of rage.

WotC made a very painful and expensive mistake - but they did learn from it.

WizKids seems to be making much, much better prepainted models than WotC was, but, frankly - I like the unpainted WizKids models much, much better than any of the prepainted lines for both D&D and Pathfinder.

So, getting back on topic - did anybody here break down and buy the pirate ship?

The Auld Grump

What I want is an Eberron style airship!

Cannon optional. <_<

Or NOT optional! They have CANNON!

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 3

The Spectator is ADORABLE!

And I like almost all the player types.

But is anyone else picturing the Efreeti as Tim Curry?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Whoa, there's quite a few good figures there. My faves are the female human druids and the male and female half-orc barbarians. Those barbarians are nicely geared for the cold. Love that one of the males has a wolf pelt, head and all. The druid's antlers might even let her work as a fey being, or possibly a tiefling druid, which is a hard to find character mini.

1500x1500_6b2231989fd18eea6d4e4c704c57cc

Half-orcs

1500x1500_276d85d0d2ee82694a3673161562f7  1500x1500_d9e9ddda9b177c84a40c8621f43745

Yaun Ti Pureblood-Adventurers

1500x1500_032556c33503dcb4802d377a3580cf

• Like 6