Those are some really cool looking figures and I've not seen them done before.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Thank you!

While I love the popular, broadly useful miniatures that are Reaper's bread-and-butter, I find myself drawn to the more quirky figures.

I took a couple of side views of the yellow one to show how I bent it a bit out of its plane (I need to take some of the red one later).

post-8022-0-45009800-1458608008.jpg post-8022-0-92062800-1458608014.jpg

I mixed a semi-translucent creamy butter-yellow out of Yellow Ochre and Titanium White and brushed it over the upper surfaces of the yellow one (the above pictures are from a later stage).  The first layer of something like this tends to look grey and colorless.

post-8022-0-12134400-1458608113.jpg post-8022-0-19084500-1458608119.jpg

But the next layer really pops.

post-8022-0-57536000-1458608160.jpg post-8022-0-42409100-1458608167.jpg

Without the flash, under natural table light, the yellow pops even more.

post-8022-0-03928300-1458608222.jpg

I brushed some of the color over the red one's base as well.

post-8022-0-38371700-1458608263.jpg

• Like 16

These are looking good.  I don't think I've seen anyone paint them before.  

Those guys have what I call "the Gumby pose". I sometimes cut the staff off the base and bend that arm so it is more horizontal/pointing forward for more depth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I put a little bit of forest green in their eyes.  This is when I noticed the big one has a mold line right through its left eye.  Ah, well.

post-8022-0-74511500-1458992941.jpg

post-8022-0-13860800-1458992947.jpg post-8022-0-41087900-1458992952.jpg

post-8022-0-84090800-1458992961.jpg post-8022-0-37350200-1458992968.jpg

• Like 16

I took a bit of Mars Orange (a vivid opaque rust orange, not available in my usual Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics but rather an old tube of Winsor and Newton -- I don't know why this color is so difficult to find in acrylics; it is fabulous) and brushed in some highlights on the red one and shadows on the yellow one.

post-8022-0-39248600-1461631675.jpg

post-8022-0-73786900-1461631680.jpg

post-8022-0-21834500-1461631689.jpg

post-8022-0-60277000-1461631694.jpg

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 13

I doubt it is the same stuff, but Scale75 makes a color called Mars Orange. ..

It is in their Blood & Fire set. ..

• Like 1

It is fascinating watching the Bug Guys develop. I wouldn't have the slightest idea what colors to use.  GREAT WORK!

• Like 1

Fantastic work !!!!!!!!!!!!

I adore how you are making your choices based on the figure in your hand.

What is going to Amp a section, draw the eye around to focus on another aspect of the sculpt.

Beautiful subtle shifts in intensity and shading.

This is a piece to be studied SLOWLY...  Much thought, and much skill.

Not Kiddin !

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      This is the mermaid from the old Grenadier boxed set #6004, "Monsters of Mythology" from their Fantasy Lords range.

I used to have the set, once upon a time. This was one of my favorite figures from it (though I painted it very differently back in the day and I am pretty sure my memories of how well I painted it are seriously rose-tinted).

There isn't a WIP thread.

And because I do like to play around with photographic backgrounds and water effects:

• By Pingo
      Sobek was a complex crocodile god of the ancient Egyptians. He was god of fertility, wild sexytimes and strength, and also a protector against the ravages of the river Nile and its inhabitants.

The khopesh was a kind of ancient Egyptian sword evolved from a battle axe. The one on this sculpt is a little thicker and more swordlike than most of the ones I've seen, which makes it sturdier on a miniatures scale.

The figure is Reaper's 14381, Nefsokar Devourer of Ammat, sculpt by Bob Ridolfi. I didn't make a WIP thread.

I was halfway done with him before I realized that he was supposed to be a stone statue with cracks and chips in the stone. Maybe another time I will paint a version of him like that, but in this case I overlooked the texture and painted him with fairly realistic crocodile and corroded bronze colors.

And because I like to play around with photography and backgrounds:

• By Pingo
      This is 03415, Lanura Windsong, Elf Sorcerer, sculpted by Julie Guthrie.

She's an appealing sculpt -- and popular, judging from all the painted versions in the store and the Inspiration Gallery. I picked her up years ago after seeing someone's lovely version on these forums, and now I've gotten round to her.

She has high boots and a long coat and a cute scarf over short tousled curls. I think of her as a sort of corsair or pirate, maybe, with lots of wands and things. I am looking forward to painting all those spheres on her like colored crystal.

I have been trying to limit the number of female minis I paint with bare midriffs, but she's just so dang cute!

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics, except where noted. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

I started laying in her skin tone with the darks pure Burnt Umber and the lights a golden-bronze mix of Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, and a little Titanium White. I also am spending some time on each pass tucking paint into all the tiny white dots where the paint failed to get into a nook or cranny.

I don't normally paint much with pure black, but here I used some Carbon Black to color her hair and as a wash to lay in a few darker shadows on her and start to contour her face and eye sockets.

Then I picked up some more highlights with the golden-bronze again, and a little more pure black shading.

And then look, it's a face! Her sclerae are a pale grey mixed from Titanium White and a little Carbon Black. Her pupils are pure Carbon Black, highlights are pure Titanium White. Lips a base of Red Iron Oxide shaded with Burnt Umber and Quinacridone Magenta. Some more contouring with the bronze and Umber shadows and Bob's your uncle.

• By Pingo
      I thought I had a WIP thread for her, but apparently not. I know I posted a half-done photo of her once, long ago. At any rate, here is a blast from the past and my past as well, the long-languishing Reaper 59037, Deadlands Noir Femme Fatale, sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.

And because I like to play around with backgrounds:

• By Pingo
      It's time again for a year-end roundup of the figures I managed to finish last year. These are the figures I finished during the calendar year of 2018, which was, let me tell you, another ... interesting year.

January-March

• Who's Online   17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 195 Guests (See full list)