SirDibblet

77064: Kavorgh, Orc Warboss (I'm not happy)

OK so this is my latest project which took many extra weeks to complete as I barely have had time to paint.  Frankly, I am not happy with it but I am at my breaking point and can't seem to figure out exactly what is not working with it and why I am unhappy with my work.  I mean I don't think it's terrible, but I just don't care for it.  Anyway, I figure I'd throw it on the forums and maybe someone can help make a suggestion or two.  What is this piece missing?

PS: Sorry for the limited photography capabilities.

post-14797-0-01822500-1458588673_thumb.jpg

post-14797-0-78869300-1458588676_thumb.jpg

post-14797-0-97953400-1458588679_thumb.jpg

post-14797-0-03831200-1458588684_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I don't think it's a bad piece, don't be so hard on yourself.

What I do think you need to look into is getting shading/highlighting better and check out some stuff on Color Theory (here's a link for a really good bit of info). Just keep practicing too, you'll continue to get better.

• Like 6

What are your goals for painting?

If you're aiming for getting figures done and ready for play (table-top), I think this guy looks great and is ready to go.

If you're trying to level up your painting to more of a display/showcase quality, then as ub3r_n3rd said, I'd focus on using shading/highlighting to increase contrast. A few things that pop out at me on this guy:

1. The weapon/armor doesn't look shiny, and metals need high reflections.  You can look up either NMM (non-metallic metal) or TMM (true metallic metal) for some techniques for improving metalwork.  Both are fine, and the choice is mostly personal preference.
  2. The skin and clothing could all be improved by increasing contrast via lining, and adding some highlights.

If you're aiming for higher than tabletop, take some time to work on photography as well.  There's some good suggestions in this thread.  The lighting in your photos is a bit low which makes it difficult to see enough details to give specific suggestions.

Everyone has different goals with painting.  The important thing is to have fun.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with table-top quality.  A table-top quality figure that actually gets playtime is much better than dozens of unpainted figures waiting to some day see a brush! :;):

Edited by Slashhamster
  • Like 7

What are your goals for painting?

If you're aiming for getting figures done and ready for play (table-top), I think this guy looks great and is ready to go.

If you're trying to level up your painting to more of a display/showcase quality, then as ub3r_n3rd said, I'd focus on using shading/highlighting to increase contrast. A few things that pop out at me on this guy:

1. The weapon/armor doesn't look shiny, and metals need high reflections.  You can look up either NMM (non-metallic metal) or TMM (true metallic metal) for some techniques for improving metalwork.  Both are fine, and the choice is mostly personal preference.
  2. The skin and clothing could all be improved by increasing contrast via lining, and adding some highlights.

If you're aiming for higher than tabletop, take some time to work on photography as well.  There's some good suggestions in this thread.  The lighting in your photos is a bit low which makes it difficult to see enough details to give specific suggestions.

Everyone has different goals with painting.  The important thing is to have fun.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with table-top quality.  A table-top quality figure that actually gets playtime is much better than dozens of unpainted figures waiting to some day see a brush! :;):

I am going for higher than table-top.  I realize that my photography is really limiting here as I did try my hand at some shading and highlighting (which isn't showing too well) and the metals (except for the leg armor) are all actually metallic...so I suppose I need to start with photography. Thank you for the tips! The links will help a lot!

• Like 2

You might try a more neutral background within two heights of the figure.  The white is probably washing out your highlights a bit.  The inside of a cereal box works pretty well (unbleached cardboard).  There's enough good editing software out there to put a more interesting background on it later.

• Like 3

From what I can see, all it could really use is some highlighting and given the colors used you could get away with an overall wash of brown liner.

• Like 1

Ub3r_N3rd and Slashhamster gave you some pretty good advice above, definitely go with what they said.

That said, I think you did a pretty darn good job on him.

• Like 3

On the whole, I like what I'm seeing.

The one place I would go is to move the orange and yellow of his shirt and belt into something a bit more earthy. The very bright nature of his green skin means bright colors in his clothes pull him into the realm of a Kindergarten classroom. A few glazes of a warm brown over the belt and shirt, plus some deeper, broader shadows in that fabric, should tone down the fabric and make his skin pop all the more.

• Like 2

He looks very good!

We are our own worst critics!!

Maybe as said before by several people, a simple wash or glaze with some browns would enhance him more.

But it might be the pics..

• Like 1

Thank you for this info on Color Theory. I loved it and I am already applying it to my next work

I don't think it's a bad piece, don't be so hard on yourself.

What I do think you need to look into is getting shading/highlighting better and check out some stuff on Color Theory (here's a link for a really good bit of info). Just keep practicing too, you'll continue to get better.

It is funny you say that because I purposefully chose somewhat garish colors because i thought  "He's an Orc...He has not fashion sense at all".  I kinda imagined that an Orc would just grab whatever bits of cloth, leather and metal he could find and strap them on.  I do agree with what you are saying however but I just wanted to make clear that the almost obscene colors I chose were for a reason.

On the whole, I like what I'm seeing.

The one place I would go is to move the orange and yellow of his shirt and belt into something a bit more earthy. The very bright nature of his green skin means bright colors in his clothes pull him into the realm of a Kindergarten classroom. A few glazes of a warm brown over the belt and shirt, plus some deeper, broader shadows in that fabric, should tone down the fabric and make his skin pop all the more.

• Like 1

I really like it.  I hope mine turns out that good.  I like the brighter colors, but I also like my orcs more tribal/primitive.  You added a ton of little details everywhere, and while you could have more highs/lows(from what I can see in the pics) I don't think it would benefit this piece too much unless you planned on entering a contest or something.

Looks terrific...

If you go to the photography form there is a link to the Massive voodoo site, and they have 8 printable camera backgrounds that you can download.

Print those out and place one behind and under (I have two copies each) the mini and then photograph.

I think that will help your camera focus on the mini.  I use those on my mini's in the show off forum.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Jasonator