Sign in to follow this  
vulture

Undersea reef game board (WIP)

This is a tile based board for minis with an underwater reef theme. I have made the tiles magnetic; the photo is of the board built on my refrigerator. I sculpted a bunch of coral sections in sculpy, including some giant soft corrals. Finer decoration (green stuff sculpts of starfish and that type of thing) will be done after paint/ sealant is applied.

post-8405-0-98054900-1459567005_thumb.jpg

Suggestions would be welcome. I plan on adding some reaper aquatic animals and the statue of dagon as the project develops.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 19

O.0 wow. Good sir that is most impressive. That is some amazing terrain. Are you using rare earth magnets? What size is each tile? How much do they roughly weigh? I can not wait to see the progress on this project.

• Like 1

I am using laser cut 120mm magnet sheets , mounted on cork-board, coated with wood filler. They are very light yet virtually impossible to slide once attached.

post-8405-0-94333900-1459577866.jpg

I have started to prime the tiles using a sample of house paint.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 9

I agree; i.e., the coral is MOST IMPRESSIVEBEAUTIFULLY sculpted. You might try an pet shop with an aquarium section for your plants...you might get some ideas for colors as well. In any case, keep up the SPLENDID WORK!

• Like 2

Yep and some of the Reaper aquatic familiars, sharks, ray etc...

A treasure chest, some old weapons?

• Like 4

Thanks peeps! :blush:

Those are some great ideas!

I had forgotten about the devil ray - a small school of them would be cool (and dangerous)

I have been designing ideas for "kelp" and i think I have three solid options, all of which will see some action:

1) As Malefectus suggested, I found some aquarium plants with long interesting "stems"

2) wire bag ties cut in to the shape of long kelp leaves and twisted together to make the classic kelp stalk

3) lichens painted red look remarkably like that curly red seaweed

I have had my eye on the kraken from KS2 - I'm curious if the base could be used as a shipwreck section?

The coral and shipwreck golem will make awesome, near permanent, residents of the board

• Like 6

Quick update:

post-8405-0-81719800-1459901370_thumb.jpg

I completed the grey house paint "prime" and I have started putting down the "base coat" of the sandy bottom. I will be doing most of the initial painting of the seafloor using the foam from a blisterpack sponge brush, to enhance texturing. The plan is to get successively brighter to a tan sandy color.

• Like 10

Thanks guys! I'm working hard on the first painting steps.

post-8405-0-59234500-1460085692.jpg

I sponged on a few layers of paint and did some dark lining. It leaves a lot to be desired, bit its a good starting point for all that real estate.

• Like 12

I have more recent shots - I added some bright base colors but I want to tone them waaaaaaay down before I share them.

Additionally, I hit a roadblock - I need to do some washes, which are impossible when mounted vertically, and I would like to do them all together to maintain unity.

Ultimately the board needs to sit flat anyhow, so I sourced a spare end table of the appropriate dimensions and a can of magnetic paint. with those items I should be able to turn it in to a proper board.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lexomatic
      This is ending in 50 hours... Haven't seen it posted. There's a thread from 2015 for other tiles. I'm intrigued by the digital option.

• By Darsc Zacal
      I'm not sold on the gameplay, but the tech and potential is interesting.
    • By SamuraiJack
      About
      What is the DMB Game Tile System
      The DMB Game Tile System is a Modular system that allows you to build anything from single encounters to sprawling tabletop scenes. The system is designed to be used for any game you want to play from Dungeons & Dragons to Frostgrave, Warhammer and beyond.   The Tiles are Fully Modular, with the walls and floor separate from each other so you can create any layout you want to. They are available hand painted, finished, and felted by our studio painters or if you prefer they are available unpainted as well.
      2x2 Floor Tile and 4 Block Wall Tile. All of our Tiles are 1/2 of an inch thick, making them strong, durable and compatible with other major tile systems already out there. 
      Each individual square is 1 inch x 1 inch making a standard 2x2 tile 2 inches square and a crossroads 6 inches x 6inches.
      The walls are 1.5 inches tall, and one row of bricks is the same thickness as the floor tile, which gives stability and uniformity across the range.
      Here is an example of the type of layouts you can create with one of our Core Sets.
      This layout can be made from a Core Set and is available as a room set as well, the Large Entry Room Set. What is the Kickstarter for?
      5 Years ago we started making 3D Dungeon Tiles. We got ourselves some of the Hirst arts moulds (yes we are fully licensed by Bruce to use his Catlemolds ) and created some masters then we made our very first silicone mould and poured our first Cracked Flagstone 2x2 floor tile.
      Since then we have released just under 900 different tiles in one form or another, in different finishes and different sizes. 
      We have always stuck to using the original resin infused plaster that we started with, that is until now!  
      We have already transferred our most popular set, the Cracked Flagstone, and Gothic Wall Dungeon Set, to make sure its possible, but we have lots more we want to do. 
      This is what the bare resin pieces look like, and how the tiles will look if an unpainted option is chosen. Now we want to transfer the entire range of 900 tiles into Resin!
      We have decided to move to Resin for a few reasons but the main ones are:
      Durability - Plaster is great but it's fragile. You can throw the resin tiles in your bag and carry them to your game session or club night without chipping or breaking them. Weight - Plaster is heavy... Resin Less so... Detail - The resin picks up a lot more detail than the paster, cracks are clearer and surface detail is sharper. We are also able to cast thinner smaller items, like plates, small jugs, and mugs, graveyard fences and iron grates, things that disintegrate if cast in plaster. Durability - This is really important if you are as clumsy as I am... Drop a plaster piece from a table to the floor and its likely to chip or even shatter. The Resin pieces can be run over by a car and survive. Customisation - The plaster tiles cant be customised with magnets or pinned items in the same way that the Resin can, and someone mentioned LED lights to me as well.. which is now possible with Resin, as it can be drilled and filled, unlike the Plaster which just explodes... Paint & Finish improvements - The resin takes paint better than the plaster, which has a tendency to absorb the moisture, and give a chalky spotty finish. The resin paints up beautifully and holds the paint, and varnish perfectly. and finally Durability - I think you probably get the point by now... We have a more detailed explanation about why we are changing from Plaster to Resin a bit further down, but we wanted to get straight into the nitty gritty of whats on offer and what you can get.
      There will also be an FAQ at the bottom of the page that we have popped a few of the questions we think we will get asked the most, but we will be expanding it as the campaign rolls on. So without further ado here is what you can get if you back the DMB Game Tile System.
    • By SamuraiJack
      About
      We are pleased to offer high quality silicone molds to cast floor and ground terrain for your tabletop roleplaying and miniature campaigns.  The molds come in two forms:  Square and Hexagonal.  The square tiles are 1" square and the hexagonal tiles are 1.5" inscribed radius.  
      We have been casting for decades and have developed our moldmaking skills.  By doing this we have adopted a "speed mold" concept where we eliminate redundant and time-sapping glue ups by making molds that cast a variety of clustered shapes.  Need a 3x3 room?  Just pour the 3x3 ready made mold!  
      We offer molds for the following terrain types (in both square and hex):
      Flagstone Cobblestone Chipped Stone Grassy Field Wavy Water Lava Stone Desert Sand Metal Diamond Metal Grid Riveted Metal Stretch Goals include:
      Rocks and Dirt Hedgerow Mayan Cenote Submarine Bay Brick Road Road and Path Cavern Stone Blasted Earth Wooden Floor Coral Reef Glacier Ice Fungal Floor Scrub Grass Deep Forest Snowy Wastes Dwarven Factory Sure you can buy a 3D printer and sit and wait, but anyone with a straight edge and some plastic cups can pour a hundred tiles in an hour.  Casting is straightforward and simple and can be done rapidly.
      We also offer friendly licensing terms for commercial use casters.  For the greater of a small quarterly fee or 5% of sales, you can sell any casts from our molds (but you may not sell molds using our designs).  See the licensing sheet on our website for all the details.  We even waive the royalty for certain sponsorship opportunities.
      Grassy Field Square Tiles  
      Hexagonal Grassy Fields  
      Desert Sands Square Tiles  
      Water Waves Square Tiles  
      Fieldstone Square Tiles  
      Metal Grid Square Tiles  
      Cobblestone Square Tiles What about the STL files?
      We have tons of 3D development going on including enhanced tilesets.  My favorite is our "Rock and Dirt" hexes and that's just the beginning!
      Rock and Dirt Hex Tiles
  • Who's Online   44 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)