Chaoswolf

Chaos Wolf's Conversion Clinic (pic heavy) Open topic

Great thread!  Very well organized and informative.  As someone that's just getting into small conversions here and there, I have to echo the "it's not as hard as you think" sentiment and encourage people to give it a shot!

Here's a pic of a toothpick conversion I did for the Anhurian Spearmen to have more rigid spear shafts.  Simply used a hobby knife to cut the spear shafts at the seam where they met the hands, used a pin vice to drill out the center of the hand (magnification helped here), and then inserted the toothpicks.  The gap I drilled was pretty tight (which I'm glad for, as it didn't require me to use any putty or even superglue to secure the toothpicks), so I had to work a sort of twisting motion as I pushed them up into the hand gap.  Then, I drilled a small hole into the bottom of the spearheads, put a bit of super glue on the point of the toothpick and stuck the spearhead on top.  Super simple, didn't require any sculpting chops, and I think was very much worth the extra bit of time and effort.  Wish I had taken step by step pictures, but I think the description plus this one picture gets the idea across.

post-14799-0-02248600-1459705035_thumb.jpg

note:  For those that are interested but haven't bought a pin vice yet, I highly recommend the CML Supply Micro Drill Bit Set.  Pretty ergonomic and it comes with about 2 dozen bits of various sizes.

Thanks again Chaos Wolf, great post!

eta:  described mounting the spearheads.

Edited by hammer570
  • Like 13

Thanks, Hammer570, I'm glad you liked it. ^_^

And thank you for sharing your spear man conversions, they look good, and are an excellent example of a simple conversion that looks good.

• Like 2

Hey, I know that golden broadsword in the top left of your bits box!  What was that game called again?  Had some pretty sweet figures and terrain as I recall.

• Like 1

Dark World.

I never had/played the game, but I have acquired a few pieces and parts of it via ebay miniature lots.

Good job with this!

I did some WIP shots while working on the Infamy Resin Goblin Chieftan, about how I put a pin into the leg to mount it to the base. (when I get that far!)

Here is a link to show how I did that...

George

• Like 3

Thank you very much!

And thanks for the link; that's a very fiddly looking process. I'm sure that will be helpful to people.

First off, here's two of the conversions i showed up above all painted up if anyone is interested.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68185-77024-bones-goblins/?hl=%2Bbones+%2Bgoblins

Here's another conversion that I did recently:

Half-orc Anhurian crossbowman.

Ok, here we go.

Check out the crossbow; it's cast kinda weird so that one arm is thicker than the other. Normally, not much of an issue, but I don't like it,so I'm going to replace it.

post-12095-0-50849300-1462052396_thumb.jpg

Here he is with the arms cut off the crossbow.

post-12095-0-61423800-1462052436_thumb.jpg

Here, I've carefully removed the original head in preparation for swap. You can see the original head, the replacement head, and the part I'm going to replace the end of the crossbow with.

post-12095-0-62085700-1462052472_thumb.jpg

The new head (taken from this fellow:http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/77042) glued in place.

post-12095-0-78410000-1462052497_thumb.jpg

Here I'm using some green stuff to repair/rebuild the back of his head.

post-12095-0-61210600-1462052545_thumb.jpg

Here, I've added some more GS to his head and sculpted it to look like a chain mail coif.

post-12095-0-96773000-1462052637_thumb.jpg

The bit shown above attached to the end the crossbow. It's the end of an old GW Dark Elf Crossbow; I left the blade on the end of it, as I thought it made it look like a weapon that a half orc might use.

post-12095-0-60988400-1462052677_thumb.jpg

Just another view of the crossbow.

post-12095-0-64070400-1462052712_thumb.jpg

Look for him to be painted in the very near future.

I hope this is useful/inspiring to someone; also, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 12

Love it!  I got on the mini-painting train late so the minis I do have I buy one at a time.  Can't wait for KS3 to get here so I'll have reserves to do this kind of thing!  It definitely adds a whole new and very entertaining facet to the hobby.  Great work with the half orc and crossbow switch, and documenting it in a way that's easy to follow.

• Like 1

Great thread.

Bones were MADE for conversions.

• Like 2

Excellent idea to do this thread! Can't wait to see how many people this inspires to do the first conversions (or the rest of us to do more conversions).

Here is another link to a conversion I am working on...

This one will be fairly extensive....

George

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chaoswolf
      Some of you are old enough to remember the old Dungeons and Dragons toy line from way back when. In that toy line, they featured an evil fighter named Warduke. He also made one appearance in the cartoon, and was given stats (more than once) for use in the pencil and paper RPG.

I have decided to make/convert a copy of him for myself.

This is who I'm talking about for those that don't know, or remember:

He got brought back for 3.0 or 3.5 edition D&D, too:

Now, that's some pretty cool artwork, and my apologies to Mr. Reynolds, but it's wrong. Warduke is LEFT handed.
      See?

Anyway, now that we all know who I'm talking about, I chose the Bones version of Goldar : http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/goldar/latest/77047 
      to use as the base for this project.

And this is what I've gotten done so far:

Hand removed for a weapon swap, left arm armor sculpted with GS, started reshaping the left boot.
    • By Chaoswolf
      Here's the official arrival/departure thread for round 6 of the Box of Goodwill.

Remember, no chatter here, please. Do it here instead:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79278-box-of-goodwill-round-6-picturechatter-thread/

Marvin---sent 1 Mar
      FireEyes---received 3 Mar, sent 10 Mar
      Flit--received 13 Mar, sent 20 Mar
      HateToWin  (dropped out)
      HjorHrafm---received 22 Mar, sent 28 Mar
      Painting Dog--received 30 Mar, sent 10 April
      Gaming Dog--receiver, sent 12 April
      Inarah---received 15 Apr

Generic Fighter---sent 15 Mar
      Dilvish---received 17 Mar, sent 30 Mar
      Jsalyers--received 2 Apr, sent 13 Apr
      Glitterwolf--received 20 Apr, sent 23 Apr
      RobinH---received 30 Apr, sent 4 May
      AutumnHare---received 12 May, sent 19 May
      Horned Turtle---received 23 May,
      Generic Fighter---received 30 May

Guindyloo---sent 3 Mar
      MadJack--received 5 Mar, sent 14 Mar
      Pingo--received 21 Mar, sent 2 Apr
      Green Eyed Monster--received 5 Apr, sent 20  Apr
      Ulfheathen--received 23 Apr, sent 11 May
      Sylverthorne---received 15 May, sent 31 May
      Clearman---received 02 Jun

Pcktlnt---sent 28 Feb
      Keianna---received 2 Mar, sent 09 Mar
      Broonkah--received 12 Mar, sent 19 Mar
      Chris Palmer--received 22 Mar, sent 26 Mar
      Aryanun--received 29 Mar,
      Ultrasquid---received 31 May, sent 20 Jun
      Paradoxical Mouse---sent 06 Aug
      Pcktlnt---received 09 Aug

Clearman---sent 26 Feb
      Disserma---received 1 Mar, sent 8 Mar
      Kristof65--received 10 Mar, Sent 12 Mar
      Kangaroo Rex--received 14 Mar, sent 22 Mar
      Wyvern Fire--received 24 Mar, sent 31 Mar
      Crowley--received 2 Apr, sent 7 Apr
      Izzy Lobo---received 12 Apr, sent 23 Apr
      Guindyloo--received 26 Apr

Rob Dean---sent 17 Mar
      Erimys---received 20 Mar, sent 22 Mar
      Inarah--received 24 Mar, sent 2 Apr
      Haldir--received 5 Apr, sent 12 Apr
      Samurai Jack---received 15 Apr, sent 27 Apr
      Froggy The Great--received 30 Apr, sent 19 May
      Lidless Eye---received 21 May, sent 23 May
      Rob Dean---receieved 25 May

Chaos Wolf---sent 12 Mar
      Shadowphase---received 14 Mar, sent 19 Mar
      Hungerfan--received 21 Mar, sent 28 Mar
      Smokestack--received 30 Mar, sent 31 Mar
      Necromancer--received 2 Apr, sent 6 Apr
      Thes Hunter
      Arc 724---received 9 May, sent 29 May
      Chaos Wolf---received 31 May

• By Rigel
      The clay golem. So overmuscled! So cantankerous-looking! So versatile for conversions!

It's probably cliche at this point, thinking this guy would make a great Edward Hyde. But that doesn't make it wrong! Some green stuff tatters, a grommet, and a pin, and here we are. Look at that savage hairy-knuckled brute! 

For my Western game, set in the 1870s-ish, I made a spinoff cleric-like class, the Sawbones, for healers that prefer Mad Science to religion; people like Dr. Moreau, or Dr. Jekyll, or Dr. Frankenstein, or Dr. Herbert West. The 59009 lady scientist is the mini my Sawbones player uses for her character, and Hyde Formula is absolutely something she would concoct and abuse.

So here's the pair of them. 

I am actually proud of the Hyde conversion! 

• By Geoff Davis
      60005: Arael, Half Elf Cleric sculpted by Gene Van Horne

• By Ironhammer
      So I had an occasion to create a new D&D character after a brief hiatus from playing, and I wound up rolling a half orc ranger named Logar Quickarrow, a vociferously proud member of the Bison Clan.  Naturally, being the conversion obsessed sort of person I am, I was obliged to fabricate a proper miniature for him.  I apologize for a few slightly blurry pictures, as I'm still trying to get used to my current camera (which is cleverly hidden inside my phone).

After canvassing Reaper's catalog for half orcs and various iterations thereof, I quickly decided that Skreed Gorewillow by Derek Schubert was by far my favorite.  It was merely a matter of transforming him from a spell caster into a ranger.

For reference, here is the miniature as it comes from the factory:

The first step was to remove both the dagger and the burning flask and make way for his new weapons.  Rather than dig around in my parts bin for a matching set of new hands or sculpting a pair from scratch, I decided to simply bore out the existing hands and carve away all the pewter I didn't need and shape it to fit his new weapons.  My character uses a shield in his offhand in melee combat, so to reflect this I also cut away the front two flasks on his belt to make room for a shield which will be hung there.

Next, I dug around in my parts bin for some suitable weapons.  I found an appropriately aggressive looking sword blade which was orphaned from its moorings, however after trimming away a portion of the lower half and rounding it out with a file I created a shaft for it which easily fit inside the hole I had drilled in his hand.  I like my figures to have appropriately shaped scabbards for their weapons, so I traced out the outline of the blade onto a sheet of styrene and cut it out as a starting point for making him a matching scabbard.

Next, I selected and appropriate bow and quiver.  I also dug out a small shield, as my character uses a shield in his the offhand in melee combat.  I drilled and pinned the quiver so that it can be mounted on his back where the figure's original sword would have gone.

After test fitting the shield, I came to the conclusion that it just didn't sit very well on the front of his belt.  So to cover up the damage I did earlier I simply sculpted a satchel where the flasks used to be.  I thought about cutting off the empty dagger sheath from the original figure and replacing it with a completely new dagger, however instead I simply sculpted a small nub at the top and called it a day.  The idea was that the dagger fits almost entirely inside the sheath itself, much like a dark age Seax or a traditional Finnish hunting knife.  At this point I've also drilled and pinned his feet in preparation for basing.  I've also tweaked the shape of his right hand by filing and carving it a bit more so that it closely fits around the handle of the bow I picked out for him.

Next, I created a base using a very handy texture stamp made by Happy Seppuku.  Our campaign takes place in a rather wintery sort of place, so I will go back later and add some small piles of snow to reflect this.

In an attempt to mirror the design aesthetic of his dagger sheath, I sculpted the sword scabbard to match with a raised bulge on top of a flatted base.  I left it otherwise plain, as I intend to hang the shield on top of the scabbard much like a medieval buckler. 

Next, I flattened out the nub of his sword with a pair of smooth nosed pliers to create a rough disk shape to serve as the basis for a pommel.  I also sculpted a flap on top of his satchel.

I then sculpted a fairly basic hilt, using a combination of styles mixing a "viking" type crossguard with a later medieval style disk pommel with a peen block.  I also sculpted a small throat around the top of the scabbard to suggest that it is actually hollow on the inside

After test fitting the buckler, I realized that a portion of the scabbard was just barely visible underneath.  It was probably overkill, but I sculpted a rudimentary belt attachment to fill this gap (because I'm weird that way and can't let things like this go).  I then went ahead and glued the shield in place.

I then glued the bow into his hand and glued the quiver on his back.  I had filed out the opening in his left hand specifically to fit the bow I had chosen for him, so it didn't take much to get it to fit snugly in place.  The bottom end of the bow rests directly against the lower part of the figure's clothing, which serves as a useful second anchor point for glueing (he is a tabletop figure after all).

For the final step, I took the last bits of putty I had mixed and put them in little piles on his base, which I then stippled to make them look like little piles of snow.  Next up is painting!

• Who's Online   20 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)