Chaoswolf

Chaos Wolf's Conversion Clinic (pic heavy) Open topic

59 posts in this topic

Thanks, Knarthex! That is a very involved conversion; best of luck with it; I'll be following along.

On a different note, the half orc Anhurian I converted above has been painted. Unfortumeatly, I did him for the spring exchange and was in such a rush to get him mailed off, I never took any pictures.  ::(:  If the recipient posts a thread , I'll link it here.

1 person likes this

I have pinned this excellent resource thread.

</Moderator>

5 people like this

I have pinned this excellent resource thread.

</Moderator>

***Using the infamous blowgun darts no doubt....***

2 people like this

Good stuff, Knarthex; thanks for sharing!

I converted up some Bones Ghasts ( and painted 'em too; check it out: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68980-more-bones-ghasts-77159-caution-bloody/?hl=%2Bbones+%2Bghasts).

Here's what I did:

This guy had some extra clothing added to his torso. You can do this using Green Stuff, but I chose to do it differently to show you there are multiple ways to get results. I used some toilet paper soaked in a 50/50 mix of water and white glue ( I also mixed in a drop of brown paint, but that was just so it would show up for the pictures ). I applied it to the torso and used a knife to 'worry' it a little bit to get some rips in it. After it was dry, I applied a couple drops of super glue to make certain it stayed put.

Back

post-12095-0-03321700-1465744572_thumb.jpg

Front

post-12095-0-12537600-1465744597_thumb.jpg

This guy is gonna get a head swap with a Games Workshop zombie head. In the picture below, you can see where I held the new head up to the figure and marked a rough line where I needed to make the cut.

post-12095-0-04724000-1465744631_thumb.jpg

Here's the head removed; you can see the part I'm going to replace it with. You can also see how the attachment point isn't flat; this is why I tried to mark where I wanted to cut.

post-12095-0-78118300-1465744664_thumb.jpg

In the next two photos, you can see the new head glued in place. Also, in the second picture you can see a little bit of a gap between the head and neck; right near the top of the jaw/under the ear. By marking where I wanted to make the cut, it allowed me to get 'pretty close'; I did need to shave a little bit more material off of the neck stump to get a pretty good fit for the new head.

post-12095-0-61139700-1465744698_thumb.jpg

post-12095-0-32517800-1465744731_thumb.jpg

Here, you can see where I cleaned up the gap mentioned above with a little bit of Green Stuff.

post-12095-0-95146600-1465744766_thumb.jpg

On this one, I cut off the right arm at the elbow in order to reposition it.

post-12095-0-21478200-1465744823_thumb.jpg

And the arm glued back in place in the new position. You can see that there's not a whole lot of a connection point there; the brand of super glue that I showed back in the first post is good enough to hold this very solidly in place.

post-12095-0-00697200-1465744851_thumb.jpg

Some Green Stuff used to fill the gap/resculpt the musculature on the arm.

Let me go off on a bit of a tangent, here. Whenever you're sculpting/adding details with Green Stuff, the most important thing to remember is to PUT THE MINIATURE DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE!! I can't stress that enough. Seriously, put the figure down and do something else. If you don't have another project to work on, get up and walk away from your hobby area. Why? Because if you keep handling the figure after you're done, I guarantee that you're going to end up putting your thumb right in the middle of whatever you just sculpted. Save yourself the hassle, and just don't mess with that figure any more until the GS is dry.

post-12095-0-82603000-1465744884_thumb.jpg

Just a couple different views of the GS work on his elbow.

post-12095-0-38012500-1465744934_thumb.jpg

post-12095-0-57527400-1465744955_thumb.jpg

I decided that at least one of these guys should be carrying around some 'lunch'. Here, I glued a dismembered arm into the Ghasts left hand.This part also came from Games Workshops zombie set.

post-12095-0-90468300-1465744979_thumb.jpg

And the other hand is carrying around some blue electrical wire that will be intestines once he's painted.

post-12095-0-08717800-1465745002_thumb.jpg

For the last one of these guys, I decided to swap his base. I very carefully cut off the rocky base he came on and replaced it with a "Bony Field" base from Secret Weapon. Be very careful doing this; you don't want to have to resculpt any of the toes. You'll also need to trim the left over material from between the toes, or it'll look a little odd.

post-12095-0-77945300-1465745022_thumb.jpg

That's it for now. If you have any questions about what I've done, or how/why I did it, please don't hesitate to ask.

13 people like this

Great simple conversions to add variety to your units.

1 person likes this

A whole bunch of old GW goblins get converted here if you're interested:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69389-chaos-wolf-is-also-slightly-crazy-goblin-conversion-challenge/#comment-1387719

And I'm working on some Nova Corp troopers here:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/73721-nova-corp-with-some-conversions/

Most of that is just head swaps and weapon swaps, so nothing too new or difficult, but I thought this guy might be interesting:

IMG_1254.thumb.JPG.7fc380efdb83dc557c70abe75be2706e.JPG

I didn't think to take a before picture, but here you can see part of the shooting arm and gun removed from the trooper. The end of the gun (in his left hand) was very carefully cut out, taking care not to damage the hand. Removing this required cutting into the arm as well as cutting the gun off the main body and the head.

This is how he looks with the new gun in place. A little Green Stuff is going to be needed to fill the gap in the arm just behind the new glove/hand/gun. There will also need to be a little used on the helmet to add some detail where the old weapon used to be.

IMG_1255.thumb.JPG.448115bad7daf8ba76c14dd2a63db164.JPG

11 people like this

They look great, and I imagine this is fun to do!

1 person likes this

Thank you!

And yes, it is. At least I think so, and hopefully others will give it a try and think so too.

2 people like this

Just what I needed. I think I will try some. I have all these weapons from Bones  3 to work with plus a growing spare parts boxes. I hope more people will join this thread and show more tips.

1 person likes this

That's awesome, @LeonR344!! Good luck to you, and have fun!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

I've never spent much time in this part of the forum, so I never saw this before, but that's changing with my B3 arrival so her I am. I did a weapon swap with the new bones weapon sprues last week, and am now in the process of basing them up. Ended up using a couple of different methods that I documented (somewhat poorly) in my WIP

3 people like this

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chaoswolf
      Here's the official arrival/departure thread for round 5 of the Box of Goodwill.

Remember, no chatter here, please. Do it here instead:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/75140-box-of-goodwill-round-5-picturechatter-thread/

Generic Fighter---sent 19 July
      Pineapple---received 21 July, Sent 27 July
      Shadowphaze---received 29 July, Sent 07 August
      Thumpernicus---arrived 09 August, Sent 14 August
      Matt Parody---arrived 18 August, sent 12 September
      TGP---arrived 14 September
      Generic Fighter

Pcktlnt---sent 27 July
      HDClearman---received 29 July
      Izzylobo---received 02 August, Sent 08 August
      Dr.Bedlam---received 14 August, Sent 18 August
      Kate---received 21 August, Sent 24 August
      Arc724---received 26 August, Sent September 8
      Kangaroorex---arrived 12 September, sent 02 October
      Pcktlnt---arrived 04 October

Guindyloo---sent 11 September
      Inarah---received 13 September, sent 21 September
      Knarthex---arrived 26 September, sent 28 September
      Froggy the Great---arrived 02 October, sent 12 October
      David Brawley---arrived 13 October,
      Haldir
      Horned Turtle
      Guindyloo

Bonwirn---sent 07 August
      MadJack---arrived 10 August, Sent 22 August
      Sylverthorne---arrived 24 August, Sent august 25
      Hungerfan---arrived 28 August, Sent 08 September
      Keianna---arrived 11 September, Sent 27 september
      Buckyball---arrived 04 October, Sent 05 October
      Jsalyers---arrived 07 October,
      Bonwirn

Rob Dean---sent 14 July
      SGHawkins09--arrived 18 July, Sent 28 July
      Dogbl---arrived 31 July, sent 03 August
      NomadZeke---arrived and sent on approx 12-13 September
      Evil Halfling---arrived 18 September, sent 23 September
      Klarg1---arrived  26 September, sent 06 October
      Rob Dean---arrived 10 October

Froggy The Great---sent 02 August
      Pingo---arrived 05 August, Sent 14 August
      Dilvish the Deliverer---arrived 17 august, Sent 21 August
      Epimys---arrived 23 August, Sent 25 August
      Broonkah---received 29 August, Sent 31 August
      SparrowMarie---received 02 September, Sent 07 September
      Morihalda---received 10 September, sent 13 September
      Chaos Wolf---received 16 September

Chaos Wolf---sent 07 August
      Chris Palmer---arrived 09 August, Sent 14 August
      Hiddenone32---arrived 16 August,Sent 30 august
      TalaeArrived...., sent September
      Lidless Eye---Arrived 30 September, sent 02 October
      Ub3r N3rd---arrived 04 October, sent 05 October
      Samurai Jack---arrived 07 October, sent 14 October
      Chaos Wolf
    • By Metalchaos
      Here are some "large" pictures of my entry for the Facebook Paint Your Dragon Reaper Group Painting Contest. I slightly modified the pose of this first edition 10012, Kaladrax so that it looks like he's pointing its left arm finger at an enemy or direction. I also converted the bones of the right hand and added a Wand of Orcus in his closed fist. The Wand of Orcus comes from Reaper's 10005, The Court of Abyst boxed set.

On the base, I used natural rocks, Army Painter Wasteland Tuft and natural dry lichen as tumbleweed. I also used Milliput putty to build the dunes before covering them with sand and crackle paste to create dry soil.   Kaladrax the Dire Drake was sculpted by Jim Johnson. Comments and critiques are always very welcome.                        
    • By Chaoswolf
      ...and finishing it in 10 days or less.

And you're all invited to come along for the ride. Audience participation is welcome and encouraged, just don't throw anything, please.
      (Unless it's money)

While on the hangouts last night, I had an idea for a new project, and then started to laugh. When asked what was so funny, I said that I had just thought of a cool idea for a vignette for Reapercon, but it was too bad it's only a little over a week away. Some of the helpful folks there encouraged me to 'go for it'. I laughed.

But I started thinking about it.

Then I really started to think about it; I got out some stuff, and made a crude  mock-up sketch. Then I thought about it some more.

....and now I think I'm going to do it. It's not like all of my other projects are already finished, right? Oh wait....

So, when I hobby, I usually have a couple different things going at one time, so that I can work on something else while i'm waiting for paint/glue/putty/whatever to dry. I was converting this fellow:
      http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/latest/77408
      when the idea hit me.

So, what I'm thinking is a scene where the evil spell caster is summoning up some unholy thing from the pit for some evil shenanigans.

Mock up:

The big scary monster is not what I'm going to use; it's just a place holder. The summoning portal will be in the ground. What I'm thinking for the monster is that less is more; just an arm and top of the head, or some tentacles or something just starting to rise up out of the portal.
      What do you think?

Also, here's the guy I converted:

Since he was the chap that inspired this idea, I was going to use him as the star, (and I still might), but I was wondering if the calm pose works alright ( I imagine all the chanting, bloodletting and so on has concluded and he's just waiting for his minion to come forth ), or if a more action-y pose (arms spread, holding a staff/sword/something over the head, something like that) would be better.

Well, what do you think?
    • By Evilhalfling
      I didn't need a dracolisk, but I am always looking for small dragons to use in games. 
      I bought this guy retail with the idea of cutting off his middle legs and re-sculpting him, in fact I lost track of the fact that I had one and bought a second. 

One leg was unattached to I cut down the area around the socket and filled it with greenstuff. The other leg I cut off completely and cut down the plastic then cut the scale pattern in.  Cutting down was harder than sculpting up.  I was prepping the dragon for the "Paint Your Dragon Contest"  so I have no pictures of the process.  The base is removable, as I had planned for more elaborate detail. 
      I hadn't quite got him to done, but was throwing a layer of sealer over him so I didn't have to worry as much about handling, and I frosted him badly.

Adding a layer of brush on gloss sealer helped, but the non-gloss sealer I tried did nothing, resulting in more weird patches. 
      despondent I moved on to other miniatures including another dragon, who was way more fun to paint (Insomnia, for the random rainbow challenge) 
      I retouched his wings, darkening them which made him look more like a black dragon, rather than grey.  and left the high gloss, cause why not.  The wing veins also never quite worked out.  So downplaying them was a plus.  

After lots of bugging from minispawn,  I declared him done, and turned him over for her to play with.  She named him Patches. yeah that fits. 

before frosting and glossing : 

• By 72moonglum
      Hi All,
      So for those that pay the least bit of attention to what I paint, you may have noticed that I paint mostly Ral Partha  figures, which is a brand I really do enjoy quite a lot.  I've been painting figures for their online catalogue for a number of years, and I just recently tried my hand at my first little tutorial, which was posted over at their site.  If you are at all curious, you could find it here:

http://www.ralpartha.com/index.php/blog/119-painting-guide-eyes-and-faces

It is by no means the end-all, be-all of painting eyes, but just shows the way I typically approach painting eyes with four recent examples of figures that I've done. I think it almost feels like a WIP for four different figures. So anyways, have a look, hope you enjoy it, and hopefully somebody somewhere can get a little bit of eye-painting inspiration!
  • Who's Online   46 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)