Chaoswolf

Chaos Wolf's Conversion Clinic (pic heavy) Open topic

59 posts in this topic

I just wanted to toss this conversion idea out there for folks.  If I didn't already have my own Brain in a Jar on a Big Stompy Robot, I'd definitely be doing this.  This uses parts from the Bones 3 "Brain in  a Jar", and the "Iron Golem", both from the Stoneskull expansion.

This is just a quick mock-up, but should give you the idea.  If I was doing it, I'd mount some sort of gemstone or bead in the neck socket to act as its "eye".

fullsizeoutput_1eb8.jpeg

8 people like this

That definitely looks like it would make for a heck of a cool conversion!

Nice work on the weapon swaps from the last page, too.

4 people like this

I bought two sets of the Undying Lords in the Bones 3 KS so I could have more than just one of each race in my undead forces. Today I started converting the second set to have different weapons, so they all don't look cookie cutter. The Elf was my first effort. The sword is from the Bones 3 weapon sprue, and shield from the bits box.

I accidentally severed the elf's raised hand in trying to cut a groove in it to better fit the sword, and ended up having to patch the gap with some superglue.

fullsizeoutput_1f65.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f68.jpeg

11 people like this

Finished the second two Undying Lord conversions today; the dwarf and halfling.

fullsizeoutput_1f73.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f75.jpeg

12 people like this

Nice conversions!

1 person likes this

Looking good!

1 person likes this

Semi-thorough browsing of google, youtube, and these forums returned nothing useful, so this seems like a good place to ask.

I'm making a DnD character mini using a Bones Lizardman figure. I wanted to swap out the club for a battleaxe, as well as add some adventuring gear to complete the look. What I didn't anticipate was that the Reaper adventuring accessories and Weapons Pack IV I ordered are metal!
I've figured out how I would like to place these bits on my mini, but can't find any definite guide on converting plastic minis using metal parts. Before I start chopping, gluing, pinning, etc, I wanted to know if anyone has experience with this kind of thing and if so, what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks!

2 people like this

Can't say my advice is definitive but I've done a few minis over the years that were metal and plastic. A lot of the time they were a bit of a pain but I was way less experienced then too. If you're sticking metal bits on a plastic mini you'll want to pin and use a good glue. Small stuff might not even need to be pinned. Depending on the weight of the bits and the pose you may have balance issues. Usually that can be fixed by gluing something heavy to the base. With bones there might be an issue with gluing a heavy metal weapon to an extended arm. Could cause drooping. Those are the only things that I can think you might have any troubles with.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, NasTay said:

Semi-thorough browsing of google, youtube, and these forums returned nothing useful, so this seems like a good place to ask.

I'm making a DnD character mini using a Bones Lizardman figure. I wanted to swap out the club for a battleaxe, as well as add some adventuring gear to complete the look. What I didn't anticipate was that the Reaper adventuring accessories and Weapons Pack IV I ordered are metal!
I've figured out how I would like to place these bits on my mini, but can't find any definite guide on converting plastic minis using metal parts. Before I start chopping, gluing, pinning, etc, I wanted to know if anyone has experience with this kind of thing and if so, what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks!

Zink covered most of it.

Should the metal parts be too heavy, Bones III is hitting retail and there are Bones weapon packs of several varieties.

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Zink said:

Can't say my advice is definitive but I've done a few minis over the years that were metal and plastic. A lot of the time they were a bit of a pain but I was way less experienced then too. If you're sticking metal bits on a plastic mini you'll want to pin and use a good glue. Small stuff might not even need to be pinned. Depending on the weight of the bits and the pose you may have balance issues. Usually that can be fixed by gluing something heavy to the base. With bones there might be an issue with gluing a heavy metal weapon to an extended arm. Could cause drooping. Those are the only things that I can think you might have any troubles with.

Awesome, I think I've got a good plan for balance (I'll be adding a round base as well for stability). What glue would you recommend? All I have is Scotch cyanoacrylate super glue, is there any difference in "craft-specific" super glue?

2 people like this

I'm not familiar with the type of glue you're using, so I can't make an informed opinion about it.

That said, the super glue that I referenced in the first post of this thread works very well on both bones and metal.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I've seen many different superglued recommended, so in the end it's what works best for you.  The one Chaoswolf uses is perfectly good. And I am pleased with the results I get with Gorilla superglue gel.   At times I've even used the superglue from the Dollar store with good results.  

Today I worked on completing the figures I needed for an all-Dwarf warband for Frostgrave; turning three of the Bones 3 Dwarves into a Thief, Crossbowman, and Thug. (Used the Gorilla superglue gel)

fullsizeoutput_1ff7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1ffc.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
12 people like this

The weapon swaps are OUTSTANDING!

In a similar vein, I use G.W's Zombie arms for all sorts of conversions...they do have The Most beautifully sculpted hands.

That said the Mushrooms look their best with bare arms. To add more variety to the selection a had swap is the thing:

DSCN4865.thumb.JPG.5920988ab19ba07a0415326528d6a0c7.JPG

...knife/dagger wielding Mushroom:

DSCN4867.thumb.JPG.a329bb7644629b7737263abc3b5a9789.JPG

...Knife? What knife?:

DSCN4866.thumb.JPG.33b19a8b8984696e3ad0c3df32c332ac.JPG

...is that an innocent smile or what?

9 people like this

Thanks, malefactus!  

I'll have to go check out some GW zombie arms now.  :)

lol...I love that innocent face! 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

Thanks, malefactus!  

I'll have to go check out some GW zombie arms now.  :)

lol...I love that innocent face! 

Thanks, Chris. I am glad you like his sweet-not-moi expression.

No matter how you feel about their games, G.W. is a FINE source of  conversion parts. 

5 people like this