Chaoswolf

Chaos Wolf's Conversion Clinic (pic heavy) Open topic

6 hours ago, malefactus said:

Thanks, Chris. I am glad you like his sweet-not-moi expression.

No matter how you feel about their games, G.W. is a FINE source of  conversion parts. 

I'm in total agreement!  I have a few bits boxes of their stuff that I draw from regularly! 

• Like 2

So do I.:winkthumbs:

ETA---nice work on those dwarves!

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 3

A friend of mine wanted winged dragonfolk. So for the larger of the two I popped the wings off a bat demon. IMG_3428.thumb.JPG.204947234a56cad356957aaad7b2fdbb.JPG

Then I cut the wings free of the fur ridge in the middle. I thought the tabs might be needed but later found that it was easier to cut them off  IMG_3431.thumb.JPG.aa28b4387224f91995d94a19dce354be.JPG

Then I glued them onto my lizard man's shoulders and used a little liquid modeling paste to smooth out the transition. 

IMG_3435.thumb.JPG.60fa873e189be3b5448998e3d6407ac9.JPG

• Like 10

Oh, one I did during my 30 days of bones... I don't have WIP unfortunately but it's easy to describe. The bones Mummy 77144

IMG_3454.JPG.138ea7d9a3244af2e3a4418f30247052.JPG

See the dangling bandage  on the left arm? Glue it to the body, instant new pose. The bandage connecting the right arm to the body can be cut carefully off and either boiled & bent to raise the arm or re-glued in a slightly different pose. Or you can just cut an arm off and reposition it completely and glue it. The bandages hide the mods easily. Finally you can cut the head mostly off, twist, and reglue. All very easy and enough to stop them from looking cookie cutter. IMG_3387.thumb.JPG.edeefbd2fb9df797fe769905597e90a1.JPG

• Like 10

Looks great Argentee!

@Chaoswolf Is this thread only for plastic mods/conversions or do you welcome metal ones too?

• Like 2

oh hey, I was wondering if there was someplace I could post my most recent project, and get some advice, without doing a whole WIP / WIS thing 

I made a shark. 

I had this sharkman from a large KS, and I thought how hard could it be? 

greenShark.jpg.e3c14884a0bb1ca6ea262bda1ffe7420.jpg

the base is greenstufed with a what is supposed to be a water pattern  his arms and legs are cut off and greenstuff applied over the holes.

then I did fins, not sure about the fins, shark fins are really long and I was trying to imply that most of them are under water. 

I still have his tail and was considering a second figure, a 2" base and just the tail sticking out of the water. 

What I think it needs most is woodland scenic's water effect, to make white caps and spray around the base.  

I also need to do someting about the transitions between green stuff and bonsium...

I immediately  forgot the last point and spray painted it.

erm help? 

now that im looking at the pictures, cutting off another inch might be the best fix.  the belly has kind of an odd bludge along with the other problems. 

shark back.jpg

shark gey.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

@Chaoswolf Is this thread only for plastic mods/conversions or do you welcome metal ones too?

Metal is certainly welcome, too.

Evil---I'm leaving for work shortly, but I'll try to post up some advice when I get home.

• Like 3

Cool!

In 2 recent conversions, both metal and both using tiny pins and bits from my bits box. 

Swapped weapon and shield and handedness on this one:

IMG_6316.thumb.JPG.c24a965dec136baff3f78062d418ab19.JPGIMG_6317.thumb.JPG.5520b21216c30cee6b99e6921350acd7.JPGIMG_6318.thumb.JPG.1460f1afb4d052985e64f14098555063.JPGIMG_6319.thumb.JPG.632187a8d6889b885fd329e3464a5762.JPGIMG_6320.thumb.JPG.e83469f780a5174c75b1d90515dfff9a.JPG

Swapped weapon in left hand (dagger) for a bow. Added quiver in place of tail. Removed polearm weapon in right hand, opened hand and repositioned arm to grab at arrows. Turning Huntress into a true ranger!

IMG_6324.thumb.JPG.40390376923f30a3477af551361cb21d.JPGIMG_6329.thumb.JPG.4668b57f8eb8a3b1f1653fc40d493e6d.JPGIMG_6330.thumb.JPG.2c6665ab830d56775140e3b1751cec99.JPGIMG_6331.thumb.JPG.0784a05c27fc3f964ed5d292f8a843da.JPG

IMG_6321.JPG

IMG_6322.JPG

• Like 9

Good stuff, Ub3r_N3rd!!

Evilhalfling---I've never tried to put Green stuff over paint, so I'm not positive if it'll work, but my gut instinct is that it will. You can apply a little more gs to the connection of the fin and the body on the left side and fix up that gap. You can use something small, maybe the non bristle end of a paintbrush, to smooth the join there and blend it into the body.

If you decide to cut anymore off, you may want to consider cutting at a little bit more of an angle, so that he doesn't look like he's 'standing' in the water quite so much.

If you don't do that, you're going to want to try to blend the fins into the surface of the water a little more; right now it looks like it's resting on the surface of the water; Using the water effects will probably help out here; try to make it look as though there is water running off the fin back into the ocean.

I hope some of that helped a little.

You're off to a pretty good start on what like a very cool project; I'm happy to try and help out in any way I can.

You may also want to try sending our resident sculptor ( @TaleSpinner ) a pm and see if he can offer any pointers.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 6

On 8/17/2017 at 10:20 PM, Evilhalfling said:

oh hey, I was wondering if there was someplace I could post my most recent project, and get some advice, without doing a whole WIP / WIS thing 

I made a shark. 

I had this sharkman from a large KS, and I thought how hard could it be? 

greenShark.jpg.e3c14884a0bb1ca6ea262bda1ffe7420.jpg

the base is greenstufed with a what is supposed to be a water pattern  his arms and legs are cut off and greenstuff applied over the holes.

then I did fins, not sure about the fins, shark fins are really long and I was trying to imply that most of them are under water. 

I still have his tail and was considering a second figure, a 2" base and just the tail sticking out of the water. 

What I think it needs most is woodland scenic's water effect, to make white caps and spray around the base.  

I also need to do someting about the transitions between green stuff and bonsium...

I immediately  forgot the last point and spray painted it.

erm help? 

now that im looking at the pictures, cutting off another inch might be the best fix.  the belly has kind of an odd bludge along with the other problems. 

shark back.jpg

shark gey.jpg

At this point, I'd bring a scalpel in and shave the GS bulges down to the level of the bones material. It wouldn't hurt to go a bit too deep.  The you can come back in with a thin sheet of GS to fill the join.  You'll need to burnish the edges of the wet GS to feather them onto the harder surrounding surfaces. The smooth with finger or clayey shaper. Repeat that until smooth.  If after it hardens ther is still a bit of a hump, you can scrape it flush with the edge of a scalpel held perpendicular to the surface.

Don't worry about GS on paint, it should stick. 

• Like 5

@Evilhalfling

So you have two options... one, fill the gaps at the base with putty, paint over grey, and go from there... If you're adding a layer of water effect, that will take care of the rest.  If the bulge doesn't bother you, go with that.

If it does bother you, then cut off just above the fin you sculpted giving a shorter figure, but the bulge will look more like how he's bending to throw himself out of the water, especially if you cut at more of an angle.

Edited to add: So yeah, what they said above. *sigh* Read, Argentee... read...

Edited by Argentee
  • Like 4

Okay the shark is now smaller, more angled and has less obvious patches and covered in (non-tacky) grey liner.  

thanks for all the help.   It looks way better. 

I'm going to try sculpting some of the splash and spray, since I have green stuff on hand, and I couldn't get water effects at local hobbylobbiy  (they had other Woodland Scenics just not the one I wanted) 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5